THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LONG RANGE SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Long Range Shooting    338 Lapua dreaming, what did you guys build?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

338 Lapua dreaming, what did you guys build?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Nope!

He makes it that way so you can switch from a 0 mil rail to a 20 mil rail. I think he has other options. It is keyed and bolted similar but different to the Sako TRG prior to 2013.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
Nope!

He makes it that way so you can switch from a 0 mil rail to a 20 mil rail. I think he has other options. It is keyed and bolted similar but different to the Sako TRG prior to 2013.

My 6mm AR has integral rail; love it.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am hoping to find one of these in Dortmund, Augsburg or Salzburg in the next few weeks to inspect.

I think I can get it for about $2850.

http://www.voere.com/en/waffen...d.html#match-varmint

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
That Voere is very cool looking. Gain twist barrel too. Interesting. - dan

"Intellectual truth is eternally one: moral or sentimental truth is a geographic and chronological accident that varies with the individual" R.F. Burton

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
Cold Trigger Finger,

I like your idea, maybe a pair is the right way to do it. One in a 8 pound sporting version and another in a long ranger.

The Sako TRG-S/995 was a great rifle. I owned one in 338 Winchester, and a lot of them were made in 338 Lapua. But the ones on Gunbroker seem to hover near $1800. That is a lot of money for a rifle that no one is making parts for. It will accept some TRG-42 parts, but only if you turn it into one.

The non-338 Lapua caliber Sako TRG's seem to be a lot cheaper.

I own a TRG-S with several new takeoff barrels. Bought a like new fully outfitted TRG-42 in .300win. Got Pac-Nor to build me a 26" match barrel in .338win. The S barrel is a .338win...

So I switchbarrel. The S will take the .300win 42 barrel with some opening up of the forend. The 42 will go lightweight with S barrels. The Pac-Nor chamber was improved to .338/300 win. I have yet to immprove the S barrel. One of the S barrels is a .340wby w/thread on brake.

At one time I was going to use a factory .476 boltbody to go all-out switch platform. Maybe do a 6.5/284

Ten years back I had a .30-378 TRG-S, and several .300 & 338 Rem Ultra sendero sf rifles. I got rid of every magnum except the .338/300. It would do everything the .340/rum and was close enough for me to the Lapua. What they wouldn't do is tolerate mild loads.

One of my other .338/300s has a 26" barrel w/long brake. I bought a .375ruger guide gun for faster reaction and woods carry. I live in rural Alaska, and we have brown & black bear, and large moose.

Wow! The .375Ruger is a dream ctg. Basically the same as my win mag case, but full diameter .534 w/o the belt. I like the heavier bullet options of the .375 caliber, but really think a .338./375ruger is The Answer. No Lapua brass, but... No confinement to the .588 boltface cases either, and Beretta isn't selling the .533 bolt bodies anymore as factory parts.

So... you get the 3.75? magazine length to work with on a 2.5" case. You get the same potential velocities (but I'm guessing) as any Lapua, Norma, or RUM can deliver; ballpark anyway.

Hornady brass is pretty decent. I match prep my cases, at least uniforming them with a Sinclair carbide primer pocket uniforming tool. Nothing much that this tool removes from the 100 unfired cases I've done so far.

I think you go with the Ruger magnum ctgs and also look at the Compact Magnum case for 6.5mm. Hard for me to see the need for anything other than a 6.5 if you have a longrange .338....

You buy a used .300win TRG-42 or maybe the Tikka tactical or their master sporter update with the laminate stock. You can get Tikka magnum bolt bodies. The Ruger Mags don't need the longer magnum receivers.

Switchbarreling the 42 or a 41 opens up everything. The TRG-S is often found cheap in .300win or 7mm mag. If you go with the factory 42 barrel contour or a smidge lighter you don't need a new stock. If you notch a 42 7rd magazine for the S release, you're set to get the extra 3rd capacity. The 4rd capacity though is very usable.

My opinon is that the M995 actions are the finest factory large ctg actions ever made and better than most "customs". Unless you really want the safety release inside the trigger guard, the S can deliver all you might need.

Posts: 173 | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
https://kineticresearchgroup.c...t/whiskey-3-chassis/

KRG makes a Sako TRG replacement stock that uses Accuracy International AICS magazines.

If you can find a cheap source of TRG-S stuff it is a good deal.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have TRGs in 308, 300 and 20" 338. Going to sell the little two and keep the big hammer.

Posts: 956 | Location: PNW | Registered: 27 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No mention of the Savage 338 Lapua...I bought one of the early ones and so far most bullet weights hover around 1 moa out to 300 M (haven't gone out much farther) and it isn't broken in yet nor have I gotten down to really working on a load, tuning much or smoothing the barrel bore.

There are a few things I'm not too happy with but I haven't found many rifles that don't have nit picks.

The barrel is a bit slim for my taste and heats up quickly...BUT...also cools down almost as quick.

Nice stiff receiver with minimum sized cut-outs for mag and extraction...would be better if single shot and no mag cut-out.

Yeah, yeah, yeah...it's UGLY...and some people just HATE savages for that and other reason...but at half the price of the others, I can add a fancy stock, better barrel etc. of MY choice for part of that extra cost OR just shoot it like it is, accuracy isn't all that bad.

A nice wood stock would add weight, which it NEEDS desperately with 325 gr pills screaming downs the tube at 2500 fs plus.

Mag will handle 3.77 COAL but you need to S.S. with COAL somewhere around 4.25" +/- to get max case volume WITH LONG target/hunting bullets and RL-33 seems to get it up both accuracy and velo wise.

Those 300 plus gr bullets cost BIG money and I'm a cheap Bawstid so I don't "spray and pray"...the Savage is relatively light so it stomps my po' ol' body. Sometime this year I'm going to buy one of those "lead sleds" AND one of those hydraulic/spring loaded stocks...or make one. Roll Eyes

All those other brands are very lovely to look at and shoot very well, no bad mouthing here...I just like to make things and HATE tossing/trading/storing pieces and parts that don't quite fit me, then doing my own thing. Big Grin tu2

Luck beer

Posts: 1211 | Registered: 25 January 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NONAGONAGIN:
No mention of the Savage 338 Lapua...I bought one of the early ones and so far most bullet weights hover around 1 moa out to 300 M (haven't gone out much farther) and it isn't broken in yet nor have I gotten down to really working on a load, tuning much or smoothing the barrel bore.

There are a few things I'm not too happy with but I haven't found many rifles that don't have nit picks.

The barrel is a bit slim for my taste and heats up quickly...BUT...also cools down almost as quick.

Nice stiff receiver with minimum sized cut-outs for mag and extraction...would be better if single shot and no mag cut-out.

Yeah, yeah, yeah...it's UGLY...and some people just HATE savages for that and other reason...but at half the price of the others, I can add a fancy stock, better barrel etc. of MY choice for part of that extra cost OR just shoot it like it is, accuracy isn't all that bad.

A nice wood stock would add weight, which it NEEDS desperately with 325 gr pills screaming downs the tube at 2500 fs plus.

Mag will handle 3.77 COAL but you need to S.S. with COAL somewhere around 4.25" +/- to get max case volume WITH LONG target/hunting bullets and RL-33 seems to get it up both accuracy and velo wise.

Those 300 plus gr bullets cost BIG money and I'm a cheap Bawstid so I don't "spray and pray"...the Savage is relatively light so it stomps my po' ol' body. Sometime this year I'm going to buy one of those "lead sleds" AND one of those hydraulic/spring loaded stocks...or make one. Roll Eyes

All those other brands are very lovely to look at and shoot very well, no bad mouthing here...I just like to make things and HATE tossing/trading/storing pieces and parts that don't quite fit me, then doing my own thing. Big Grin tu2

Luck beer

The OP was about "builds." I have a Savage LM that keeps them well under 1/2 MOA at 800 yards. If my Stiller does as well, I will be thrilled but still breaking in the barrel.

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hummmmm...I saw a few references to TRG, SAKO and Voere...Those are more "boughts" than "builds" and no matter WHAT your end is, you have to start with something..."bought" before you can "build".

I originally bought my Savage to put a 50 cal barrel on it and chamber for my wildcat 50 Rigby...I also wanted to play with a blown out 338 Rigby but haven't done either yet.

I did get a few 1/2" 3 shot "groups" with various combos, but the loads didn't repeat. Those were from un-prepped Lapua cases and various bullets from 250 to 300, Hornady, Berger and Sierra. I have yet to see ANY rifle/ammo that doesn't need tuning before you find that sweet spot load...I live in the woods so finding someplace with 1 large distance that doesn't have trees, curves, hills or cattle is difficult and NO shooting ranges any where in sight.

Basically I'm too antsy...can't keep just one gun in front long enough to get it settled unless I hit a good load relatively quickly.

Plus ill health and old age keep cropping up which puts the heavy hitters in the back room and me mucking about with the lighter stuff.

Luck with the Stiller. beer

Posts: 1211 | Registered: 25 January 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
More interested in talking about the destination than the journey.

What ever 338 Lapua you have is fine!

One of Us
Picture of hairbol
posted Hide Post
Just getting started on a Defiance action, Bartlein barrel, Manners Carbon 5A, and the Nightforce 7-35 ATACR.

Posts: 312 | Registered: 12 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My "long range" rifle is not as techno-cool as those above- in fact it's a 375 RUM rather than the 338 Lapua. It started out life as a 338 Win Mag win model 70 Super grade (1991 issue). It was rebarreled with a 28" barrel and a VX6 6-24x scope with bullet drop dial set for 350 gr Sierra HPBTM bullets, 0 at 300 yds. Next month it's going to the range (after the snow melts to see how it does at the longer ranges.

Posts: 1421 | Location: WA St, USA | Registered: 28 August 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Still breaking in my barrel for the Siller/Brux job but shot a 3 shot group today at 500 yards prone with bipod. 1.5" with ABM 300 Berger factory ammo. Noticed the bullets are seated .01 to .02 deeper than I have been seating my ELDs. Time to seat deeper perhaps.

Jeff Miles in Phoenix builds my LR stuff. I have learned a ton from him. He is a competitive shooter and really knows his stuff. Last week I watched him clean the target with his service rifle at 500. 200 with like 18x's.

Shot my AR 6mm today that he built; three shot in 4.2 inches at 500 yards (2 shots within an inch). Just moved past my clean every shot for ten, so looking forward to this being a tack driver as well once I break in the barrel and work up some loads.