THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LONG RANGE SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Long Range Shooting    338 Lapua dreaming, what did you guys build?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

338 Lapua dreaming, what did you guys build?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted
I don't think I am going to have a rifle/hunting license in Germany until next year. So I have time to think about the next 338 Lapua.

I liked the Sako a lot. But am thinking about my options.

What did you guys build?

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
I don't think I am going to have a rifle/hunting license in Germany until next year. So I have time to think about the next 338 Lapua.

I liked the Sako a lot. But am thinking about my options.

What did you guys build?

Stiller Tac, 30" Brux bbl, Mac stock, Jewell trigger, Holland brake, ATACR 5-25 Nightforce scope.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow nice! How is it going with it?

I have been going over actions torn between the Stiller Spectre, Surgeon and BAT or another Sako TRG.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TRG 42, Brux Barrel, 20 MOA rail, Elire Iron Muzzle Brake and Suppressor, with March 5-40 FFP scope in Seekins rings. Shoots better than I do, so far out to 1100, so I need more practice/better technique. Very much like the Brux as it cleans very easily.

Dave Manson

Posts: 685 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 04 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think I have felt a rifle action as smooth as the TRG. It is wonderful.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wow nice! How is it going with it?

I have been going over actions torn between the Stiller Spectre, Surgeon and BAT or another Sako TRG.

If it shoots as well as my out of the box Savage, I will thrilled!

Just breaking in the bbl; first group at 100 was .2. Second group at 500 was 3.5 inches, strung horizontally, with two shots on top of each other. Both groups were fired after cleaning every shot.

I have a 20 MOA rail too. My new 6mm Hagar wears a March 2.5-25. Nice compact scope.

DManson: what kind of groups are you getting?

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like both of those rifles.

Dave, did you build the Supressor and jump through the hoops or buy one?

I read Cal Zants article on brakes and 1 supressor in Long Range Hunting Magazine a few days ago. It was pretty interesting and made me reconsider what brake I choose in the future. It was also kind of lame that Gunwerks runs the magazine and Cal did not test their brake.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello AAW and BWW:

Typical 5-shot groups at 500--if I do my part--are 3"-4". I've shot smaller and I've shot larger--especially on windage when I'm not reading the wind correctly.

The suppressor and brake are designed to work together and were made by Elite Iron. Excellent workmanship and longevity. I jumped through the hoops.

Dave Manson

Posts: 685 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 04 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stiller Tac338 single shot action, 30" Brux, 338 Lapua A.I. Almost 3000fps with the 300's without pushing brass life. Reamer has a longer throat for taking advantage of no mag length. Don't have it myself but have the reamer and built a couple for customers. Have a SS Stiller action sitting in the safe for mine though.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1169 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I want to try a Badger 2013 338 Lapua CIP action.

One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted Hide Post
If I were to build one . It would be on a Mausingfield action.
As I will mainly be using it for big, heavy and dangerous game hunting and want the rifle to be almost as at home jump shooting brown bear at close range as it is moose hunting at 800 yards. It will take some tweaking to get things just right.
Depending on $$$$s I may ho with a CZ Badlands.

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cold Trigger Finger,

I like your idea, maybe a pair is the right way to do it. One in a 8 pound sporting version and another in a long ranger.

The Sako TRG-S/995 was a great rifle. I owned one in 338 Winchester, and a lot of them were made in 338 Lapua. But the ones on Gunbroker seem to hover near $1800. That is a lot of money for a rifle that no one is making parts for. It will accept some TRG-42 parts, but only if you turn it into one.

The non-338 Lapua caliber Sako TRG's seem to be a lot cheaper.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are going to build a LR rifle, get a custom action. Mausers are great actions; I have a few, but they are one of the last choices for a LR gun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is a Mausingfield.
http://www.americanrifle.com/

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is a Mausingfield.
http://www.americanrifle.com/

Ha! You got me. I never heard of it and thought he meant Mauser or Springfield, similar to "Remchester."

Thanks for cluing me in. Looks like a great action; I assume the rail is integral to the action?