New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger Precision Rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 6.5 is the hot one now, so you could probably get a better deal on a 308. Also, 308 ammunition is quite plentiful.Then again, the 6.5 Creedmoor is a cool little cartridge that seems to shoot very well in most any rifle....factory ammunition is very accurate and consistent.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
The 6.5 is the hot one now, so you could probably get a better deal on a 308. Also, 308 ammunition is quite plentiful.Then again, the 6.5 Creedmoor is a cool little cartridge that seems to shoot very well in most any rifle....factory ammunition is very accurate and consistent.

The 308 is for like $1100. I have a alot of 308 guns and plan to get more 308 rifles - mainly old military stuff.

Good 308 ammo available from Turkey - ZOI at $.50 a round.

I only plan to shoot 100 yards paper and 300 yards steel gong.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Rem 700 HB and a DPMS AR (heavy barrel) in 308. Both shoot sub MOA out to 300 yards. The Rem 700 shoots MOA out to 800 yards, the farthest I have shot it. I have not shot the DPMS at that range. The DPMS is a HEAVY gun however. The Ruger American Rifle in 6.5 is a much lighter gun, and, from my understanding, has the potential to equal this performance.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Was going to post up results on my Ruger Precision 6.5 Creedmore sooner, but I guess better later than never.

I topped it off with a Vortex Razor HD 4.5 - 27 EBR-2C MOA 34 mm scope with vortex extra high rings.

As I need to work up loadable brass I shot the first 100 rounds with 140 Grain Hornady Precision Hunter Ammo.

First - for anyone that has not had an opportunity to see the new Vortex Razor HD, it is a thing of beauty.

The Rifle:
Trigger: Very nice in my opinion for a production trigger. Length of play prior to sear engagement seems a bit long, but very sharp and immediate break once you get there.
Easily adjustable down to practically nothing.

Rear stock: Initially I liked it. After shooting a precision tactical match I'm not a big fan. Rough features and uncomfortable unless your shooting off a bench. I am taking it off and installing an adjustable Luth-AR MBA or Magpul MPOE.
Front furniture: Acceptable. Somewhat heavy if you need to shoot offhand.
Finish: finish on the rifle is poor. Black finish rubs-scrapes off easily, leaving bare metal exposed. I am having mine duracoated.
Bolt: Bolt was rough to function initially but smoothed out after 60-80 shots and now is fairly smooth to operate. As with the rest of the rifle I suspect it was do to finish quality that improved as it was cycled.

Accuracy: freakin' awesome. I apologize for being crap at bringing pictures to upload. After bore sighting 1st shot was 3" low and 1" right at 25 yards. A quick windage adjustment and 2nd shot was 3" low and dead center.
moving out to 100 yards, 1st shot was about 1" low and 1/2" right. A small windage adjustment and 2nd shot was about 1" low and dead center. As I wanted my sight in distance to be 300 yards I went to the Vortex LDBC sheet I had printed out with variables like scope height and made the elevation adjustment to put it at 2.75" high at 100 yards. The next three shots all cut each other in a circle less than the size of a nickel (I put a nickel over them)
I then cleaned the barrel sofa and shot three more rounds with the same result. Going to my LDBC reticle sheet, using reticle sub-tensions I proceeded to single shot strike the 300 yard, 400 yard, 500 yard, 600 yard and 700 yard targets using the Harris Bi-Pod I had installed as support rather than the Caldwell lead sled I sighted in with.
Switching to rotating the elevation and dialing MOA I repeated the shots on each target. The Hornady loads were very precise, chrono at muzzle was average 2862 with top variables of 12 FPS down and 24 FPS up thru a ten round string.

Saturday I shot a precision tactical rifle competition with it, leaving the old dependable 308 in the safe. I engaged targets (the rifle engaged) successfully out to 850 yards. The only knock I can give it, other than the somewhat uncomfortable stock, is the front end heaviness when shooting offhand, which is an attribute when shooting off structure or support.

I am now in the process of working up re-loads. Planning on using Berger 140 grain VLD and probably Hodgdon 4350 for consistency although I am open to suggestions from those with more practical experience on loading

Posts: 3617 | Location: Verdi Nevada | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Fan
posted Hide Post
Here´s the best group @100m, I shoot with a friends RPR. He bought it at my dad´s gun store, with a mounted Nightforce scope.

The load was a 140grs Nosler BT with 41grs Norma URP.
The handling and finish of the Ruger is OK. I like it! I´m a little bit sad, because we don´t ordered two rifles in september. Now, the rifle have over one year deliverytime. And the actual price is about 1700Euro.
So I will choose a cheaper rifle for me. At the moment, it should be the Howa 1500 with a GRS target stock.....

Martin

Posts: 824 | Location: Munich, Bavaria, thats near Germany | Registered: 23 November 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Full Roar:
Was going to post up results on my Ruger Precision 6.5 Creedmore sooner, but I guess better later than never.

I topped it off with a Vortex Razor HD 4.5 - 27 EBR-2C MOA 34 mm scope with vortex extra high rings.

As I need to work up loadable brass I shot the first 100 rounds with 140 Grain Hornady Precision Hunter Ammo.

First - for anyone that has not had an opportunity to see the new Vortex Razor HD, it is a thing of beauty.

The Rifle:
Trigger: Very nice in my opinion for a production trigger. Length of play prior to sear engagement seems a bit long, but very sharp and immediate break once you get there.
Easily adjustable down to practically nothing.

Rear stock: Initially I liked it. After shooting a precision tactical match I'm not a big fan. Rough features and uncomfortable unless your shooting off a bench. I am taking it off and installing an adjustable Luth-AR MBA or Magpul MPOE.
Front furniture: Acceptable. Somewhat heavy if you need to shoot offhand.
Finish: finish on the rifle is poor. Black finish rubs-scrapes off easily, leaving bare metal exposed. I am having mine duracoated.
Bolt: Bolt was rough to function initially but smoothed out after 60-80 shots and now is fairly smooth to operate. As with the rest of the rifle I suspect it was do to finish quality that improved as it was cycled.

Accuracy: freakin' awesome. I apologize for being crap at bringing pictures to upload. After bore sighting 1st shot was 3" low and 1" right at 25 yards. A quick windage adjustment and 2nd shot was 3" low and dead center.
moving out to 100 yards, 1st shot was about 1" low and 1/2" right. A small windage adjustment and 2nd shot was about 1" low and dead center. As I wanted my sight in distance to be 300 yards I went to the Vortex LDBC sheet I had printed out with variables like scope height and made the elevation adjustment to put it at 2.75" high at 100 yards. The next three shots all cut each other in a circle less than the size of a nickel (I put a nickel over them)
I then cleaned the barrel sofa and shot three more rounds with the same result. Going to my LDBC reticle sheet, using reticle sub-tensions I proceeded to single shot strike the 300 yard, 400 yard, 500 yard, 600 yard and 700 yard targets using the Harris Bi-Pod I had installed as support rather than the Caldwell lead sled I sighted in with.
Switching to rotating the elevation and dialing MOA I repeated the shots on each target. The Hornady loads were very precise, chrono at muzzle was average 2862 with top variables of 12 FPS down and 24 FPS up thru a ten round string.

Saturday I shot a precision tactical rifle competition with it, leaving the old dependable 308 in the safe. I engaged targets (the rifle engaged) successfully out to 850 yards. The only knock I can give it, other than the somewhat uncomfortable stock, is the front end heaviness when shooting offhand, which is an attribute when shooting off structure or support.

I am now in the process of working up re-loads. Planning on using Berger 140 grain VLD and probably Hodgdon 4350 for consistency although I am open to suggestions from those with more practical experience on loading

Very informative
Need to pick one up in 308.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Bore Fan:
Here´s the best group @100m, I shoot with a friends RPR. He bought it at my dad´s gun store, with a mounted Nightforce scope.

The load was a 140grs Nosler BT with 41grs Norma URP.
The handling and finish of the Ruger is OK. I like it! I´m a little bit sad, because we don´t ordered two rifles in september. Now, the rifle have over one year deliverytime. And the actual price is about 1700Euro.
So I will choose a cheaper rifle for me. At the moment, it should be the Howa 1500 with a GRS target stock.....

Martin

I have the Howa 1500 tactical, and I bought a GRS Berserk stock for it. Nice rifle. I just got it back from the buchsenmacher. He adjusted the second stage of the trigger from 3.5 pounds to 1.5 pound. Originally it was a 1 pound first stage and 3.5 pound second stage. Now it is 1 to 1.5. Nice trigger.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The fine folks at Ruger have added a muzzle brake and increased the price to $1500 MSRP.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ruger Precision challenge!! Are y'all up for it?

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post