Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger Precision Rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I got my RPR last week in 6.5. Loaded some 140 grain Hornadys over 38.5 grains of W760 and went to the range; wind was blowing at 40 MPH but I had to try it. It shot .75 inch groups at 100 yards and I have lost my rear rest bag, and the wind was blowing and gusting something fierce. Under better conditions, which won't come until April, it will do better. I was impressed with it. No recoil either, which I miss.

Posts: 17090 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Such a cool rifle for the money. You can have three rifles in one with a barrel swap.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oops, I got the rings bassackward on this one too, gotta take them off and get the nuts on the right side of the rifle ... hilbily

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tentman:
Hello Folks

I got a Ruger PR in 243, not my first choice of caliber but they are so hard to get I thought I'd take my chances. The 243 shoots very well, thrown together loads with 105 a-maxs for 3 shot groups of between 0.5" and 0.75", and I'm sure it'll get better with some fine tuning of charge and seating depth.

I took mine on a Tahr hunt, in our NZ mountains and as per usual it involved quite a bit of climbing . . . with a rifle ready to shoot at 13.8 lbs that was really a first and last time !! It did carry really nicely once I got a sling worked out.

However the rifle worked well enough that its going to get a severe diet imposed on it, I'm going to get a second barrel in 6.5 CM and lightweight stock, that will get the weight down to 9 lbs

The Ruger American Rifle, Predator model in 6.5 Creedmoor uses the same basic action as on the Ruger Precision rifle.
Different 6-groove (not 5R) rifling, but same 1:8" twist.
Same muzzle diameter at 22" as the RPR at 24".
Still available at the local emporium for $367.

Weighs 6.75 pounds as it comes out of the cardboard box with a Picatinny sight base on it.
dancing
Shoots almost as well as the Ruger Precision Rifle.

Cheap and good!

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I got my RPR last week in 6.5. Loaded some 140 grain Hornadys over 38.5 grains of W760 and went to the range; wind was blowing at 40 MPH but I had to try it. It shot .75 inch groups at 100 yards and I have lost my rear rest bag, and the wind was blowing and gusting something fierce. Under better conditions, which won't come until April, it will do better. I was impressed with it. No recoil either, which I miss.

I'd like to know how you do without the wind issues. I'm taken with this rifle, though I'm inclined to the .243 version. Seems more appropriate for ground squirrels.

(I need to justify getting one to my far, far better ¾. I made the mistake of showing her the 5 shot <0.3 MOA group I shot last week with my uglier-than-sin .225 Win. . . . Smiler )

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:
quote:
Originally posted by Tentman:
Hello Folks

I got a Ruger PR in 243, not my first choice of caliber but they are so hard to get I thought I'd take my chances. The 243 shoots very well, thrown together loads with 105 a-maxs for 3 shot groups of between 0.5" and 0.75", and I'm sure it'll get better with some fine tuning of charge and seating depth.

I took mine on a Tahr hunt, in our NZ mountains and as per usual it involved quite a bit of climbing . . . with a rifle ready to shoot at 13.8 lbs that was really a first and last time !! It did carry really nicely once I got a sling worked out.

However the rifle worked well enough that its going to get a severe diet imposed on it, I'm going to get a second barrel in 6.5 CM and lightweight stock, that will get the weight down to 9 lbs

The Ruger American Rifle, Predator model in 6.5 Creedmoor uses the same basic action as on the Ruger Precision rifle.
Same 5R rifling of 1:8" twist.
Same muzzle diameter at 22" as the RPR at 24".
Still available at the local emporium for $367.

Weighs 6.75 pounds as it comes out of the cardboard box with a Picatinny sight base on it.
dancing
Shoots almost as well as the Ruger Precision Rifle.

Cheap and good!

Ha - RIP I thought someone would call me on it, and you're mostly right, but the RPR has a folding stock. One of the things I'll do with mine is fold it away and put it in the backpack when I have a big load and a challenging descent through the monkey scrub we get here (very thick brush, its murder to climb up through, and worse when you're tired and descending).

Posts: 605 | Location: Southland, New Zealand | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I called Ruger and told them if they make a RPR in 300 Win Mag. I would be first in line to buy one. They said they have no plans to build the RPR in magnum calibers at this time. I am not giving up hope though...

Posts: 406 | Registered: 17 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Ruger American Rifle "Magnum" is here:

http://ruger.com/products/amer...leMagnum/models.html

Correction: The RAR-Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor does not have 5R rifling. It is 6-groove.
I still need an explanation of what makes "5R" rifling special. coffee

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What does it mean when a barrel is said to be a "5R"?

5R is the form of rifling I developed for use in most target barrels and in many sporting barrels.
These barrels have 5 grooves, and the lands have angular sides. I have observed that bullet jackets

will deform such that they remain closer to the R-form lands than they will to the sharp-edged
lands present in conventional-style rifling. This reduces powder fouling at the corner of the grooves. The angled form of the lands also helps to reduce jacket failures in quick-twist barrels.
http://www.obermeyerbarrels.com/faq.html

Boots Obermeyer makes good barrels, however, they are often hard to find as he makes barrels for the US military from 30 cal through 30mm.

Posts: 1082 | Location: MidWest USA  | Registered: 27 April 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
HPMaster,
Thanks, I googled too, I am straightened out on this now:

Standard 6-groove and 4-groove vs. the Obermeyer 5-R rifling:
The sides of the lands have exaggerated slant/cant on the Obermeyer-style.
Supposedly less stress on the bullet and less fouling ...
But as they all say, a good barrel is a good barrel, whatever the type of rifling. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just got one in .308 last week. It is easily sub-MOA on average and with a couple loads shoots .5 MoA. I'm dragging it and the new 6.5 Creed out to the 1000m range on Saturday.

Posts: 518 | Registered: 28 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIP:

Looks like a recipe for a RIP roaring good time!

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
.366torque,
Thanks for noticing, I am looking forward to a 6.5 Creedmoor day at the range soon.
The bassackward cheekpiece installed at the factory has been turned 180 degrees.

Also have a monopod AND a bipod now, which ought to help this hog of a rifle to aim itself, no more wallowing on sandbags, while I supply the trigger finger and no heartbeat pulsations:

Riflecrank Internationale Permanente
NRA Life Benefactor and Beneficiary
https://home.nra.org/

One of Us
posted Hide Post
RIP, you need to swap loads with Dave (470 Mbogo) and Chris (Canuck).
All 3 of you are playing with the same rifle and chambering.

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post