Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger Precision Rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of brush_buster
posted
I received my Ruger Precision Rifle chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor yesterday. Today I threw a 3-9 Zeiss Conquest scope on it, bore sighted it, and took it to the range.

It took just three shots to get it zeroed so I took it to the 200 yd range.

I fired 3 shots from some handloads I had on hand for another rifle and got a pretty good group.

The next 3 shots were Hornady 140 gr A-Max factory loads. I have posted the picture of the 200 yd group at the bottom of the page. These are shots 7,8,9 fired through this rifle.

Needless to say I'm very happy with my purchase and will now attempt to duplicate the factory loads.

Anyone interested in an inexpensive rifle for long range shooting I would recommend the RPR.

Posts: 710 | Location: Texas | Registered: 03 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
The guys I shoot with every Friday have had good things to say about the RPR.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Fan
posted Hide Post
I ordered one for a friend, should came in december. But now, the general dealer means, it would be february.... Mad
I currently have spending freeze. My wife is at the moment not pleased with such ideas. Roll Eyes But I want also a RPR, Brass & Bullets I have and the Forster BR-reloading die should also come soon from United States. But the rifle to get, is here in Germany a problem.

Posts: 824 | Location: Munich, Bavaria, thats near Germany | Registered: 23 November 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
That's some very nice shooting at 200, Brush Buster. Eager to see you halve that group.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of brush_buster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
That's some very nice shooting at 200, Brush Buster. Eager to see you halve that group.

That's probably as good as I will ever do. I don't shoot enough to be a really good shot and I was shocked at these results.

Needless to say, the gun shoots better than me.

Posts: 710 | Location: Texas | Registered: 03 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Brush buster, don't sell yourself short. You may well find a handload worthy of more powerful glass with that rig!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Excellent results. tu2
I am getting one of those Ruger Precision Rifles in 6.5 Creedmoor set up with a 4-16x50mm S&B PMII, so as not to blame the scope or my eyes. old
Rifle is under 1K$, scope is over 2K$ and has been on a few other rifles.
Then I will use the rifle to test some cheaper scopes.

Meanwhile the $370 Ruger American Rifle Predator 6.5 Creedmoor is pretty consistent with same factory ammo you were using.
First time out I shot forty rounds of the factory ammo with a Sightron 4-16x40mm AO scope ...

Then cleaned the rifle and switched the scope to a Nikon 4-16x42mm M-308 in Leupold QRW rings for second outing:

Above group, rifle is under $400, scope a little over $400, and the box of 20 rounds of factory ammo is about $28.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of brush_buster
posted Hide Post
RIP that is really outstanding. Just goes to show there are some outstanding guns available at great prices.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep, exciting, affordable things from Ruger, and Hornady. tu2
The barrel on the Ruger Precision Rifle (RPR) has the same muzzle diameter at 24" as the Ruger American Rifle (RAR) has at 22" length": 0.750"
The RPR has a heavier straight taper, and the RAR has a slightly lighter sporter contour.
Both are substantial enough for a 6.5mm caliber.
Both are 1:8" twist. 5-groove "5R" RPR, 6-groove RAR-Predator. I still need to learn more about 5R rifling. coffee
Apparently Ruger has learned to hammer-forge a pretty good barrel. Cool

Here is the initial test of the Hornady Factory ammo in the Predator, 5-yard chrono distance from muzzle, average for 5 shots 2636 fps,
corrected to Muzzle Velocity for BC = .585, MV = 2640 fps, add about 50 fps for extra 2" of barrel, very close to 2700 fps for your Ruger Precision Rifle.

Maybe handloads would have less velocity spread than Sd of 17 fps?
Maybe C.O.L. and make of bullet could be played with?
Maybe hard to improve on the Hornady factory ammo ... ?

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
RIP, what you really need is the 6.5 Valkyrie!

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27590 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
How do you like the rotary magazine RIP?
peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Peter,
The rotary magazine is good, 4 rounds down and one in the chamber, very compact, no problems noted. I like Ruger 10/22 magazines for rimfire also, so I am used to the magazine. Cool
I helped a friend pick out his first rifle recently, and it was a Ruger American Rifle in .308 Win to get him started.
I mounted the same Nikon scope model (M-308, 4-16X) on his rifle for him.
He and his rifle shot 3 into one hole at 100 yards with Hornady Factory loads also, his first time out, though he is 40 years old, ex-Navy and had some handgun training there, but never rifle trained (deprived childhood?).

Yep, impressive cheap rifles from Ruger.
Good ammo from Hornady.
Nikons are OK scopes.
So are Leupolds and Sightrons.
We'll see if S&B can keep up on an RPR 6.5 Creedmoor.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Good to see Ruger giving the Tikka T3's a run for their money!
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of brush_buster
posted Hide Post
RIP, I was lookiing at your FPS listed for your Creedmoor and figure they are right on.

With my Hawkeye and a 26" barrel, I'm getting 2722 with my handloads.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Folks

I got a Ruger PR in 243, not my first choice of caliber but they are so hard to get I thought I'd take my chances. The 243 shoots very well, thrown together loads with 105 a-maxs for 3 shot groups of between 0.5" and 0.75", and I'm sure it'll get better with some fine tuning of charge and seating depth.

I took mine on a Tahr hunt, in our NZ mountains and as per usual it involved quite a bit of climbing . . . with a rifle ready to shoot at 13.8 lbs that was really a first and last time !! It did carry really nicely once I got a sling worked out.

However the rifle worked well enough that its going to get a severe diet imposed on it, I'm going to get a second barrel in 6.5 CM and lightweight stock, that will get the weight down to 9 lbs

Posts: 605 | Location: Southland, New Zealand | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post