New
Find
Notify
Tools

1291 yard rock shot
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I had a .300 RUM and .338 LM out on Monday, shooting at 800 yards. I decided to take a shot at a rock 1291 yards away. I had previously shot that rock a few days before with my .300 RUM, and while I got the windage perfect, I was way too low, perhaps because I ran out of adjustment (just because the knobs turn doesn't mean the erector tube is moving when you are the far end of then range). But the splash mark it left gave me a perfect aiming point.

I zapped the rock with my BR2 after changing the ballistic profile to my .338 LM. I came up 18 MOA from my 800 yard zero. I could see the mirage going left to right but very faint and slow. BR2 said wind deflection was about 2.7 MOA for a 5 mph wind (going from memory here). I held three MOA into the wind and let her fly. I was shooting sitting with a high bipod using by butt on the knee/shooting sling position. I missed left just under one MOA but the elevation was perfect. Having a 20 MOA base gave me plenty of vertical elevation, which incidentally, was perfect.

Of course, one MOA at 1291 yards would be a gut shot deer, but it is still a hoot shooting that far.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately all of my Long Range shooting has been limited to 1000yds. with 22-250, 308, '06 and 300WinMag and they all do very well at those ranges, but you are fortunate to have such space available to do your shooting. Being able to control accurately the bullet at extended range, even at 1000yds, has always "got my attention" and frequently others have quizzed me if one can actually hit a target at even 600yds?? I could go into a very long answer to their questions, but find it better to just say yes it can be done.

Posts: 1050 | Location: S.Charleston, WV | Registered: 18 June 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
I've never posted on this thread. No doubt I could match this shot if the rock I was shooting at was Ayres Rock in Australia.
Amazing shooting.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
I've never posted on this thread. No doubt I could match this shot if the rock I was shooting at was Ayres Rock in Australia.
Amazing shooting.
Cal

Cal:

That rock is more like a boulder and when I hiked to it the first time it was huge!

Yesterday's shot was not as good. I shot at 800 twice with a .300 RUM and .338 Edge. First up was the .300. Wind was left to right, as it usually is. Mirage was fairly fast and flat, not boiling. Trees (mesquite) and bushes were moving, but not terribly hard. I was going to hold 2 MOA but just as I was about to shoot the wind died. I hate shooting when that happens, so I waited and watched through my scope. I was pretty sure it was going to stay calm, so I got ready to shoot. Then I checked the scope once more and lo and behold, the mirage was now going right to left, not quite as hard. I noticed the wind flag I clip on my scope was to the left as well. I decided to hold 1.5 MOA into the wind and hit 1 inch from my 3 inch aiming circle at 1 oclock. I then switched to my Edge. By the time I switched my bipod and sling the wind was back to left to right. I played with different wind speeds and decided to hold 2 MOA because most of my misses with 300 Bergers lately have been overestimating the wind. I hit 4 inches low but perfect windage.

I then shifted over to the 1291 yard rock, which is a 45 degree different angle to the right. The wind flag was blowing almost straight way, but the mirage was gently moving to the left. I could see the vegetation blowing but that didn't really help with the wind direction. I decided to hold 2 MOA right and that is just where I hit, but about 1 MOA low.

I was happy with the 800 yard shots but disappointed with the 1291 shot. With a TOF of 2 seconds, even if you dope things perfectly with a spotter calling at the moment of the shot (a luxury I don't have) things can change.

I also did some 500 yard gong shooting with my .308 Win at 7 am, but with no wind that was not really a challenge.

Today I will practice with the sticks at 200 and offhand at 100 - much more practical for hunting. Hopefully I can take some sitting with a sling at 300 as well.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
...it is still a hoot shooting that far.

I agree! Hang a piece of steel out there sometime. A ring several seconds after the bang is quite gratifying. That far out is fun with the big calibers too, because they're easier to see and the flight time lets you recover sight picture from recoil. Once in a while I lob incendiary at long range with the 510WSM. Those are really easy to spot in the desert, even with 5 second flights. Have fun!

Posts: 861 | Registered: 13 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post