New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's Hot today?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
20+ years ago I was really in to long range shooting and did a considerable amount. Learned a LOT in the process also. About 15 years ago my interests changed and I sold the one rifle I had built up for long range shooting...with smokeless powders that is, the Sharps shooting BP stays.

Anyway, I as soon as I finish my Mauser sporter in 9 X 57 project I am seriously considering acquiring another long range, scoped, smokeless powder rifle. Back "when" I was a died in the wool 30 cal. man and used the 300 Win. Mag. I am not quite so fond of recoil as I was in my 40's and have heard much about various 6.5's. I am curious as to which is preferred and why.

Regarding the rifle itself I AM NOT a techy kind of guy who hangs things on his rifle because they look "cool"...which is a temperature comparison, not an adjective. A BLACK or BROWN synthetic stock would be ok, no camo, and I will submit to a variable scope as much as I'd prefer plain old mil dot fixed power. Beyond that, rails, pistol grips, thumb holes and all that other stuff holds no interest for me. I assume the model 700 is still the preferred action although it was never mine. Question: Is there an "over the counter" rifle available, meeting the above limited criteria, in some 6.5 that is a suitable, accurate, dependable 1000 yard rifle? What brand scope would be recommended, one that does not exceed 12X, if that is possible. I assume Leopold is still a good choice but I hear and read rumblings of other, perhaps better suited brands for a sniper type rifle. A 6 X 24, or higher, holds no appeal for me.

If any would care to express their opinions I would be glad to read them and thanks.

DRSS: E. M. Reilley 500 BPE
E. Goldmann in Erfurt, 11.15 X 60R

Those who fail to study history are condemned to repeat it

Posts: 502 | Location: In The Sticks, Missouri  | Registered: 02 February 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heavy for caliber 6mm, 6.5mm and 7mm bullets will rule inside 1000 yards versus nearly any 30 cal except maybe the Berger 230gr and its substantial recoil.

"Long range" is about as useful an adjective as "cool" when you're talking rifles/equipment.

What style of shooting are you interested in? Do you have a budget? What are your expectations of barrel life and component cost/availability?

Why limit yourself to only fixed 12 power scopes? Is a quality 5-22 or 8-40 power, adjustable turret scope too much of a techie gadget next to the old BP irons?

You can get Sako TRGs, Savages, Tikkas, Weatherbys and other actions if you're not a M700 fan, but I don't think the action matters so much as long as it's all square/concentric etc.

Here are pictures of people's "long range" rifles. Anyting in there that you find aesthetically appealing or answer any of your questions?

Posts: 861 | Registered: 13 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
By my definition, and the only one that matters to me, long range is anything beyond 500 yards. I'm not looking for a 2500 meter 50 cal., something similar to what I had before that would hold MOA at 1000. Not interested in competition, did enough of that. Great fun, great folks but just not interested anymore. A plain Jane, accurate to a grand, dependable rifle around 10 lbs. would suit my needs and wants.

I don't like variable scopes....never did and doubt I'll alter my view. Nothing wrong with them, the bugs have all been worked out over the years, I just don't like them. Not a thing wrong with a Chevy pick-up but I don't care for them either.

Budget....I suppose everyone does eventually have one but I wouldn't blink at $2500.00 and I know that isn't a great deal of money for a rifle capable of MOA to 1000.

I will peruse your link and thank you!

Posts: 502 | Location: In The Sticks, Missouri  | Registered: 02 February 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you're not too picky then.

Chad Dixon here: http://www.longriflesinc.com/ might have something sitting on the shelf for about that price that can handle 1000 yards. He seems to be multi talented in terms of shooting discipline smithing. Used to work for Nesika and builds palma, "tactical" and a variety of one-offs and CNC custom stuff. Good turn around and inexpensive group-buy options. MIght give him a call.

I don't know what to recommend for a low power fixed scope, that's not my bailiwick.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My second sentence in my second post is goofy. Should have been two sentences. The rifle I had before would hold MOA at 1000 and that would be a prerequisite, and adequate for my needs and wants.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In all honesty, well-developed handloads with match bullets in some $500 factory guns will achieve your MOA requirement at 1000 yards. I had a factory Remington take off barrel set back and rechambered and it did about an MOA with cheap bullets, slightly better with Matches.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about a Savage FT/R in 6,5xsomething?

Savages just about own the affordable part of LR shooting.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looking at the web site I like the LRP better. Thanks for the tip.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think a 6mm Dasher may hold the light gun record. It is a version of the 6BR. They commonly use bullets in the 105-110grain weight.
The present 600 yard 5 shot record is .376 and that is the group size not MOA.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
9,3: I have a similar rig on my wish list back burner: Satisfying accuracy to 1,000, pleasant to shoot and not too hard on the pocketbook. I'm looking at a 1:7 or 1:8 twist .223 running the Sierra 77-grain and 80-grain Matchkings. Sierra also offers a 90-grain Match King but says you'll need a 1:6.5 twist barrel to stabilize it.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16368 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Bill...just a comment or two on long range scopes...among the "reasonable" priced scopes, I think it is very hard to beat the Weaver 36 power with whichever reticule you prefer. I have 6 of them on my long range rifles, and over the years have changed to the 1/8th minute dot reticule in every one of them.

Though some folks may consider the field of view to be too limited at that power, the actual fact is that as in all scopes, it is a FOV enclosed by angles, not a set fixed "X" inches dimension at all ranges...so even a 4" field of view at 100 yards is a 40-inch FOV at 1,000 yards. I don't recall what the FOV of the Weaver 36-X scope is, but I believe it's certainly larger than that....at least I never had any problems using them at 100 yards and even less concern at longer distances.

As you probably know they have 1/8th MOA clicks, about 60 minutes each of both windage and elevation and are adjustable to remove parallax. They also have good eye relief for that powerful a scope. Nice thing I found is that with the Micro-Trac adjustment mechanism, I have never had any problems with their "return to zero" You move them 30 clicks up, then 30 clicks down and they go right back to where they were before the "up" clicks. There's a fellow down in NM who boosts Weavers quite inexpensively, so it no big trick to get a 36-X Weaver boosted to 57.6-X There is no free lunch though, so doing that greatly reduces eye relief and if it isn't done correctly also significantly reduces optical clarity.

Weavers are not perfect all-in-all, but damned good for the money. and less than half the money of a Night Force or a 45-X Leupold. And I've had numerous problem's with the Leupold elevation systems. They claim they've cured those problems and maybe they have. But they claimed that many times in the past and hadn't. Once burned badly, twice wise for sure here.

Or if you want to spend the money and go back to REALLY old technology, you could buy a Unertl 2" Target model in 20-to-24 power and have it boosted by 60% to either 32 or 38.4 power. But for me despite being dead certain reliable, they are far too big and heavy to mount on any of my target rifles. In fact, I'm about to sell my last Unertl, a 15-X 2" Ultra Varmint. It just demolishes the balance of any rifle I've had it on.

If your pocket book will stand it, I'd go with something like a NightForce.

Anyway, glad you're trying something old/new. Every man should change passions once in a while to keep his spirit alive and well.

Have fun!!!

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you familiar with this scope AC?

The New T-Series XR Offers

Side focus on each model
Optional Reticle with fine-cross hair and 1/16th MOA Dot
New 46X with 30mm main tube and 48mm Objective
1/8 Clicks as Old T-Series
Standard with Lens caps, sunshade, and Target Turretts
Limited Lifetime Warranty
Focus down to 50 ft. or out to infinity

Starting at $549.95

This is a new Weaver offered by a friend. Killough Shooting Sports. in Winters, Tx. Dan is a huge rimfire dealer and a great young man.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hmmm. I have a couple of BR guns with the Weaver 36X scopes. I never thought of them as long range scopes, but, on reflection, no reason why not. Butch I did a quick search on the scope you mentioned, without success. Any links?
Thanks, Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try this Peter.

http://www.killoughshootingspo...ver-t-series-xr.html

The 46 X 48 30MM tube is $829.00

Glenn

Posts: 70 | Location: Ok. | Registered: 29 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Lloyd, thank you for that advice. I sure can't afford a Nightforce!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16368 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post