New
Find
Notify
Tools

Savage Model 12 F/TR
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am concidering entering F class competation and would appreciate anyone using a Savage Model 12 F/TR, 308 cal., to give me an evaluation. Will the 30 inch barrel require using a slower burning powder than normal? Will the 12 inch barrel twist handle the 175 SMK?
Any info greatly appreciated. Thanks

Posts: 28 | Location: Centennial, Colorado | Registered: 12 May 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
I have an older Model 112 F/TR in .308 with a 26 inch barrel. I'd guess 1 in 12, I think that is all Savage makes in .308 but won't swear to it.

I shoot 175's at 1K. I don't think you'd have to change powder for the 30 inch barrel.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
My son in law had an Model 12 F/TR it was a great shooter! I own 2 Savage rifles, a 10 FP-SR and a 10 FCP-SR. Both rifles are good shooters!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 30" barrel with 1/13 twist Savage model 12 PALMA rifle. My best powder for that rifle is VARGET. I would rather have a 1/12 30" as comes with the Savage F/TR. There is no reason to mess with success. I would still use VARGET for the rifle as that is what most 1000 yd shooters use. Also, the 1/12 twist should handle the 175 grain bullets very well.

Cliff
NRA Life Member
CMP Distinguished Rifleman
NRA Master, Short and Long Range

Posts: 436 | Location: Fulshear, TX | Registered: 28 May 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
I shoot mostly 155s in mine, but I have shot up to 208 Amaxes and they were stable. Long tube gives great velocity, and I've had numerous groups in the .1"s. Have one in 223 and 308 and love em both!

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post