THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LONG RANGE SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Long Range Shooting    Annealing Made Perfect MV Comparisons
Page 1 2 

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Annealing Made Perfect MV Comparisons
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
The other interesting note: I cycle through a very small number of cases; I should mark each case and record the velocity

Thanks for sharing your results! You may find that particular cases are fast/slow. I usually have a sharpie handy and if a shot goes wild I can mark the case. I've found a few bad cases this way, and it turned out later that they were significantly heavier than cases from the same batch. Think some of the benchrest and F-class guys do this because they have time to make notes as they shoot.

Since you are already logging a lot of data, you could number your cases and log that too. A pattern might become evident. The big cases have lots of room to write too. Some of my 338/300RUM cases have a variety of notes on them... Smiler

Posts: 861 | Registered: 13 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
AnotherAZWriter,

One year after the purchase are you still happy with the Annealing Made Perfect unit?

I am thinking about Giraud Unit with the induction heater or perhaps the AMP unit.

Posts: 2950 | Registered: 26 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jpl:
The amp is air cooled, but you have to attach and invert each case with a particular bushing. Personally I like the drop thru coil types. You can see the neck as it anneals, and then the case drops out the bottom of the coil and you drop the next one in from the top.

Here is a video of what I'm talking about. It shows a completely manual process that is quick and repeatable:

https://vimeo.com/279384452

...and yes I know the cases are too hot. This is intentional so that it would show up in the video. My camera doesn't work well in low light.

My temperature controlled annealer uses a slightly different case holder that is a bit quicker than the video, yet still manual feed.

Posts: 861 | Registered: 13 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
jpl,

That is pretty neat.

I like Doug's setup with the Fluxeon induction unit. Notice the timer on the heating unit, it can be set to .1 of a second for consistent results.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zL4eNCgm-C8

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeBurke:
AnotherAZWriter,

One year after the purchase are you still happy with the Annealing Made Perfect unit?

I am thinking about Giraud Unit with the induction heater or perhaps the AMP unit.

I am happy with it. It is super fast and apparently consistent. They recently released new software that allows you to identify the perfect annealing program for that caliber/brand of brass (they have a huge catalog but don't have the 6mm Hagar, for example). It does destroy that one piece of brass, but a small price to pay.

I won't say the AMP fixes all velocity ES issues; some loads still see a 30 - 40 ES, but my Savage Lapua has to be seen to be believed - 95 percent of my shots fall between 2750 and 2759 fps. It has never exceeded 2775 or gone below 2741.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update.

one of us
posted Hide Post
So has anyone considered going commercial and take outside work? If so let me know, I have some old brass Federal brass that's twice shot and separating!! in a Savage 99...WW will last four or five loadings in a 99..Same with most lever guns..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Separating as in the above the rim? If so, that is a headspace issue, not an annealing issue. Do you know how far back you are pushing the shoulders?

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post