THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LONG RANGE SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Long Range Shooting    Remington 700 338 Lapua factory rifles

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington 700 338 Lapua factory rifles
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted
European Optics has 338 Lapua 700 barreled actions.

Anyone have any experience with the 700 actions.

I was going to murder one of my 270 700 actions and I realized I could buy a new 700 in 338 Lapua for the cost of a barrel job on one of my 700s.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
European Optics has 338 Lapua 700 barreled actions.

Anyone have any experience with the 700 actions.

I was going to murder one of my 270 700 actions and I realized I could buy a new 700 in 338 Lapua for the cost of a barrel job on one of my 700s.

BWW:

I can only say I saw one at the range (a Rem factory rifle) and the guy who owned it was not terribly happy. If you want a factory a gun, it is tough to beat a Savage. Otherwise, get a custom action and build it the right way.

I am not sure if the Lapua actions are beefed up or not; the case is pretty fat for a 700 action, but then I am not a gunsmith. My next Lapua is being built on a Stiller action.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am headed in the same direction I am afraid. Stiller action $1150, barrel job $650 + (fluting $150, brake $250), McMillan $850, Trigger $150-450, Cerakote $200.

Right around $3450. Basically the same as a Sako TRG.

Keep searching for a Sako, but just haven't seen any near me.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Remington 700P is a standard action machined to fit the Lapua. If kept within standard pressures, it works, although the bolt is pretty thin around the cartridge rim. It uses an M16 style extractor due to the thin bolt lip.

They now offer a larger action in the MSR, but I haven't seen that one in person.

The Savage is absolutely the easiest way into that cartridge.

I am partial to the Surgeon XL action for no other reason than I like the look.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Twenty-five years ago, perhaps a bit longer, Dan Lilja drove down and we spent a weekend shooting Rockchucks from 600 yds out past a thousand. Dan was doing the prototype testing for what ended up the 300gr 338 Sierra MK. He had them from 280gr to 320gr lengths/weights.

A few years earlier he had designed his own cartridge, the 338-416 (Rigby) Sniper. The 338 Lapua would seem to be that case shortened about .150" or so. He did not think any 700 would be safe with that fat case.

IMHO, the RUM cases are about as fat as I would take a 700 or clone.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My gunsmith buddy (builds champion F-Class rifles) and I talked last night. He lives in Canberra and we have been friends since I first got off the boat in Australia.

He said Stiller as well. He builds a lot of 338 Lapua rifles for Australians. He has built quite a few 375 Sniper Tac (many Australians are banned from owning 375 Chey-Tac rifles) so he modify's them a bit.

He said all the Stillers he has gotten lately are great. He said that he had a few "weird" surgeon actions of late, and he would go Stiller as well.

He told me that he would build a single shot, and not mess with the AICS magazines because they normally scratch the crap out of the brass. I have a AICS original stock and the magazine works fine for the 300 Win. So far I have not seen that.

I have a couple other projects in work 30-06 Mauser, 7mm Sendaro and this new Howa 1500 6.5 Creedmoor but maybe by Christmas I'll have enough time and side cash to get it done.