THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LONG RANGE SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Long Range Shooting    WHO USES "REGULAR HUNTING BULLETS" FOR LONG RANGE
Page 1 2 

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WHO USES "REGULAR HUNTING BULLETS" FOR LONG RANGE
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty big on penetration and edible meat. I've been a big fan of Barnes monometal bullets since the first X bullets. . Since I've killed lots of deer with carts that typically are used for elephant having an exit hole is mandatory. For the poster that gets the great accuracy with the 130 Sirocco's, you should run your own drops to insure the bc is on. Brian Lintz claims that bullets bc is in the high. 4 s. That bullet is one of my goto bullets in my 6.5 Creedmoor but really I would prefer it was a 140 gr with a true bc of. 6 or better. . My rifle likes the 140 gr Hornady SST and tho its not a tough bullet it should work good on caribou, deer and wolves. . Barnes and GS Custom should make a. 6+ bc expanding bullet or at least,. 550 bc! In the 6.5 . Those hunters that like bomb bullets can keep using them but real world big game hunting means shots can be real close sometimes .
Would I shoot a game animal with a target bullet , sure. Have several times. But if its a tricky shot on an animal that's walking away I would have to pass it up. Not something I want to do.

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have long range guns but have only made one shot at 500yds. I use hunting bullets, mostly TSX in my .300's.
I have some RWS factory ammo that is amazingly accurate as well.
Sometimes I think we get a bit caught up in the bullet types as most of today's bullets are very good for target and hunting.

Posts: 10094 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post