New
Find
Notify
Tools

7mm Weatherby
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Thoughts on this cartridge for long range shots on plains game and how it would perform on larger game up to eland.

Posts: 9994 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perfectly-both areas

7mm WB Mag is an awesome caliber. I have always been a bit surprised it did not gather a larger following. 7mm WB has a lot of free bore so you can use longer projectiles if you hand load. 7mm remington tends to choke up loads

I would not hesitate to take a 600 yard shot on big plains game with mine with the right rest and circumstances.

160 grain Noslers or 162 Grain Hornady Interlocks will flatten anything plains game if shot properly

Posts: 3617 | Location: Verdi Nevada | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure about an eland, but everything else .....no worries.

But then Saeed killed an eland at 500+ yards with a 270 Ackley Smiler

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blair 338RUM:
I'm not sure about an eland, but everything else .....no worries.

Hogwash. Never shot an Eland with mine but it dropped a Bull Moose in its tracks at 375 yards

Posts: 3617 | Location: Verdi Nevada | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fine, whatever you reckon old boy..........

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about a 160 Accubond @ 3200FPS? Nosler max hand loads.

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
7mm is a fine caliber and the 7mm Weatherby is a fine cartridge.
In reality, it can't do any more or any less than the 7mm Rem Mag.... and that's a proven, fine, dependable cartridge.
I've killed many head of big game with a 280, 280AI and 7mm Rem mag. DRT
...and hell yes it will kill eland size game!
Zeke

Posts: 2269 | Registered: 27 October 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't own any 7mm's, not a fan, but, my 270 Weatherby punches well above it's weight with 150gr and 160gr bullets. I can't see the 7mm Weatherby being any different.
I used my 270 Weatherby on plains game 6 years ago in Namibia, got zebra and blue wildebeast with 150gr Partitions, took loads with the 160gr Partition, never used them.

I think it's a good choice.

Cheers.
tu2

Posts: 683 | Location: N E Victoria, Australia. | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the input.

Posts: 9994 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post