THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LONG RANGE SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Long Range Shooting    Harris bi-pod or a rucksack rest ?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Harris bi-pod or a rucksack rest ?
 Login/Join

Picture of Son_of_the_gun
posted Hide Post
I have hunted using both backpacks and I pods, along with hay bales, trees and whatever else; but now I pretty much exclusively use a bipod because they are very quick to deploy and if you get a good quality one they are very sturdy. However they do add weight to your rifle and can beat it up a bit. I think it’s mostly just a matter of personal preference.

Posts: 9 | Location: Corvallis, Montana  | Registered: 01 June 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
This is worth a watch.

https://www.bing.com/videos/se...663622A&&FORM=VDRVRV

I have this DVD series. It has been taught in US Sniper schools by Todd Hoddnett for a few years, but it is worth learning how to load a bipod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...ue=330&v=hBrp7R0sxg8

Another well known shooting instructor on bipods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2UHXPvUOr0

This one is Australian, and he is another well known long range shooter.

I would use a bipod, have a rear bag, and have the ability to dial.

If you are going to Schweiz or Austria, then it probably doesn't matter and they won't want you hunting with a sniper rifle anyway.

If you are going to Mongolia or Tajikaistan or something like that then they will be used to it.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
JMO, but guys worry way too much about bipod loading and not enough about wind. This video has half the views that the first mentioned above:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xAeucDPF2E

I totally agree with this guy except the piece about determining the wind direction; mirage gives you a composite picture of the wind. It might be 10 from 45 deg, but it will look more like 7 mph.

The way he characterizes wind speed via mirage image pretty much matches my experience.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
I use Shooting sticks made from fiberglass electric fence "poles." They are long enough uncut to use as a walking stick, about waist high, if needed and I need them from time to time, especially in the rough country, high or low. I use the Castration rubber bands, tough and strong, to bind them together and thus can be rolled up or down to make the X happen. The poles can be reversed for a quick change or just spread the "feet" wider to lower. All in all, a bi-pod of sorts that is a benefit to me while hunting and shooting. 95% of all shots I would take are covered by sitting with these sticks. I also carry a pack most times and would choose that on a cross canyon Long shot where prone works. Most of my hunting, prone is rarely possible.
Having said all that, I recently had a chance to shoot a buddy's HB 223 AR at plates using an attached Bi-pod. Worked very well putting rounds on a 3" plate at 300 yards. I guess the decision for me takes into account the whole hunting experience and what works for me as described above.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I sight the rifle in at a bench rest, off the same fanny pack I carry in the field. I've plopped the fanny pack on rocks, fence posts, sage brush, and so forth.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14332 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Shooting sticks for me. Over the years I have shot off of just about everything in nature. I also have a number of Harris Bi-pods and went through that phase. I have a plethora of shooting sticks and can pick the ones that I want to use for a particular hunt-in country or foreign. Big Grin Just my personal preference. Big Grin

Posts: 18517 | Registered: 04 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can see the utility of Bipods, but why bother carrying one in a backpack- just use the pack!

Posts: 979 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heym SR20:
I can see the utility of Bipods, but why bother carrying one in a backpack- just use the pack!

Because they are steadier then a pack if you have time to deploy one.

Many times when waiting out the last hour or so of shooting time. Over looking some longer ranges. Taking the bi-pod out and attaching it to your rifle makes lots of sense.

Posts: 19316 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:
Originally posted by Heym SR20:

Because they are steadier then a pack if you have time to deploy one.

Many times when waiting out the last hour or so of shooting time. Over looking some longer ranges. Taking the bi-pod out and attaching it to your rifle makes lots of sense.

When the range is long enough to need it, there's usually plenty of time to set up.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14332 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know what kind of mountains and at what elevation you will be hunting. But I personally would never carry a bipod into the mountains and if I did I would probably leave it there before the first day was over...same with a varmint weight gun. If you are a flatlander like me and you head into the mountains and get above 3,000 feet the altitude will kick your butt first. At 10,000 feet you'll be on your knees lugging all that junk. It takes WEEKS to get acclimated to lower oxygen at altitude. Hell, I took a PT test in the Army at Ft Bliss at 4,300 feet a week after I ran my best 2 mile time ever at Fort Knox and the higher elevation took a minute and a half off my time and left me gasping...at 28 years old!

I've hunted in the Alps in SOuthern Germany above the treeline for Chamois and for Elk in the mountains in Idaho. IN both instances I used a lightweight rifle, rucksack and had a decent shooting sling that I knew how to use and how to employ very quickly and made my rifle easily steady to make 300 yard shots on game while still breathing heavily. A rusksack is more than adequate and no way would I trade it for the weight of a bipod. Prone shots are more likely in the mountains but most game shots are best attempted from the sitting or offhand and in all instances a good shooting sling like a Rhodesian or a Brownell's Latigo will be superior to a bipod for weight and simplicity.

The only caveat is I've shot a lot of highpower rifle competition and so I have a lot of experience with a sling as a shooting aid where most people don't. So most shooters don't really understand how stable a proper shooting sling will make your rifle.

Heed my advice...as a flatlander the altitude will kick your butt. Weight is more of an issue than you think.

Posts: 721 | Registered: 03 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't know what kind of mountains and at what elevation you will be hunting. But I personally would never carry a bipod into the mountains and if I did I would probably leave it there before the first day was over...same with a varmint weight gun.

With all due respect to KY Nimrod, I regularly carry my lightweight bi-pod shooting sticks with me hunting in high elevations and have never had a problem. I hunt typically at elevations between 5,000 and 10,000 feet in the West and in Northern Mexico. I shot my last Coues deer from a high ridge and across a large canyon in Mexico at 500 yards sitting down and off shooting sticks. They work wonderfully. And, I've taken them regularly to Africa and successfully hunted with them shooting all kinds of plains game and dangerous game off of them, including a Vaal Rhebok high in hills (their mountains) of the Western Cape at 430 yards. In Alaska I carried them and shot a fine grizzly off of them. Maybe it's different with flatlanders. Big Grin No problem, and you can often use them as a walking stick and as a rest for your binos while spotting and looking for game. Big Grin I also hunt with a lightweight MG Arms custom .325 WSM. tu2 No bragging, just the facts. Wouldn't leave on a hunt without them. tu2 However, everyone has their own way. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
quote:
I don't know what kind of mountains and at what elevation you will be hunting. But I personally would never carry a bipod into the mountains and if I did I would probably leave it there before the first day was over...same with a varmint weight gun.

With all due respect to KY Nimrod, I regularly carry my lightweight bi-pod shooting sticks with me hunting in high elevations and have never had a problem. I hunt typically at elevations between 5,000 and 10,000 feet in the West and in Northern Mexico. I shot my last Coues deer from a high ridge and across a large canyon in Mexico at 500 yards sitting down and off shooting sticks. They work wonderfully. And, I've taken them regularly to Africa and successfully hunted with them shooting all kinds of plains game and dangerous game off of them, including a Vaal Rhebok high in hills (their mountains) of the Western Cape at 430 yards. In Alaska I carried them and shot a fine grizzly off of them. Maybe it's different with flatlanders. Big Grin No problem, and you can often use them as a walking stick and as a rest for your binos while spotting and looking for game. Big Grin I also hunt with a lightweight MG Arms custom .325 WSM. tu2 No bragging, just the facts. Wouldn't leave on a hunt without them. tu2 However, everyone has their own way. Big Grin

So when I say bipod I mean a harris type folding bipod that you attach to the rifle. Shooting sticks are a different animal IMO And by the way...the OP mentioned he was going to carry a varmint weight rifle...lol.

Where do you live?

Posts: 721 | Registered: 03 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why do people act like it has to be one way or the other.

There are hunts and areas a bi-pod would be very useful and practical.

There are areas and hunts where shooting sticks are useful and practical.

Then there are places where nether are useful or practical.

I just pick what's best for the place at the time I am hunting.

Some places I carry sticks and have bi-pod in the pack.

On a couple of hunts I have carried sticks with the bi-pod attacked to the rifle.

The sticks for the shorter faster shots and a walking aid. The bi-pod for the longer stuff .

Yes the terrain varies that much in that area.

In the thick woods I use neither of them.

I just do not understand this single mentality of one the other or none.

Use or don't use what suits the best purpose for the hunt that you are on.

Posts: 19316 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used Harris Bi-pods and had 6 of them on my go to hunting rifles for years. tu2 They now sit in my ammo room on the shelf. For me, the Harris Bi-pods, although well made, were heavy to carry attached on the rifle, somewhat cumbersome attached there on the rifle's forearm, and heavier than a pair of shooting sticks. Nowadays, I use shooting sticks almost exclusively and have shot many animals long range with them as I stated before. As I have evolved to their use I find that they are quick to get on, steady and easy to get the shot off if you are used to them. Oftentimes, you don't have a lot of time to get set up to shoot unless you've been watching an animal for a significant amount of time and it's not spooked or moving quickly. I think that the key to shooting sticks is getting a good pair and practicing and hunting with them regularly. When I was first introduced to them in Africa 19 years ago, I was very unsure about them. By the time I finished that Safari they were like old friends. KY Nimrod: I currently live in Las Vegas, but hunt regularly all over the West (Nevada, Utah, Wyoming, Montana, Colorado, Washington), Mexico, Alaska, and have been on 16 African Safaris to date. I grew up in Utah at an elevation of 5,000 feet. Las Vegas is currently just over 2,000 feet. Big Grin I visit Alaska regularly as I have a daughter, son-in-law and four grandsons in Eagle River, and we spend a lot of time in the mountains when I'm there. tu2 I've missed Mexico for the last couple of years due to the immigration melee at the border. It was bad enough the last time I was there(another story), but I can't imagine it right now.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
The US Army Snipers use a bipod. USMC Snipers use their Ruck sack.
Take your pick; both work, but you have to carry the bipod (or it is attached) whilst your pack is always there.
Personally, I use neither and have learned how to use the sitting, firing position effectively.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post