THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LONG RANGE SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Long Range Shooting    Harris bi-pod or a rucksack rest ?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Harris bi-pod or a rucksack rest ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted

Planning a mountain ibex hunt and am debating whether to attach a bi-pod onto the rifle
(300 WSM) or whether to plan to use back pack / folded jackets as a dead rest.

I guess the extra weight is not a big issue on the side of the bi-pod. I am just thinking of the practicality of that flat surface for a bi-pod vs bedding the rifle into a rucksack and jacket.

In short I dont know and would welcome advice and thoughts !

Charlie

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2243 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very much depends on your rifle. Heavy recoiling Rifles tend shoot better with a firmly held forend off a bag. A heavy barreled Low recoil off a bipod. A pack is often more flexible. And bipods are uncomfortable on your shoulder.

Posts: 977 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Tikka .300 WSM with a Varmint barrel. No great recoil and comfortable to shoot.

My thinking is to get max stability esp if we are looking at 300 yard plus shots.

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2243 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I am in the rucksack camp and my outer most jacket is usually one size too big and more of a medium weight as a cover for the real warmth layer.

I strip off the outer jacket and use it as a rear bag for prone.

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10039 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like to use bipods for longer shots (>200 yds).

They do add some weight and can be slightly uncomfortable when carrying the rifle on sling, but I have made more one shot bang-flops at >200yds using the bipods (prone or sitting) than with other types of impromptu rests.

I always shoot my rifles off the bench with the bipods so I know exactly how they impact the zero.

JMO

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heym SR20:
Very much depends on your rifle. Heavy recoiling Rifles tend shoot better with a firmly held forend off a bag. A heavy barreled Low recoil off a bipod. A pack is often more flexible. And bipods are uncomfortable on your shoulder.

Not sure I agree with that; a bipod is dead steady and you can grip as hard as you want.

As I have said before, if I think long range shooting is possibility, I actually carry both a sitting and a prone bipod in my day pack; I don't need it out to at least 300 - learn how to use a shooting sling and you should be able to smack anything out to 300. Past that, you normally have plenty of time to attach a bipod. If weight is an issue, I just take my sitting model and use my shooting sling to form a bench rest steady shooting position. I mean, how often can you shoot prone?

Lately, I just strap a Bog Pod 2 stick to my day pack and forget the detachable bipods - unless I am hunting where I think I will shoot beyond 400 yards.

One more thing: I don't see a point of impact difference with my bipods, but then again, I zero and test loads with them.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am in the bi-pod camp.

Posts: 19290 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
bag.
or like we did in the old days...
put your hat on the rock.

Posts: 4954 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Possibly there are plusses both ways.
I do a reasonable amount of hilly country hunting on foot. I tend to carry a backpack and use this as my rifle rest for most longer shots in the prone position. Most times it's ideal but occasionally it's difficult to get the rifle high enough, and my body low enough, for some steeper uphill shots. Guys I have seen with Bipods seem to handle this a bit better, even with sometimes needing something under the Bipod for just a little more elevation.
I can't see myself changing from backpack use ( too long in the tooth ! ) and have carried Bipod equipped rifles which I found awkward but if I were going the Bipod route would probably look at a lightweight carbon fibre type for weight saving. I believe some of these are quick detachable also and mate to the rifle via a magnetised socket and are quick to attach / detach. Detached they can be carried in a pocket or backpack for use when opportunity allows. I don't know if these might change shot POI as permanently attached Bipods are reputed to do but is something to keep in mind.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 1985 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
I used one of these last year.
HBRS Harris Bipod Extends from 6" to 9" (Swivels)

Posts: 2316 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most of my rifles have bipods of some brand...they are easy to use and work well when there is a flat surface but can be a PITA when you have to futz around with adjusting leg length. Mostly I just hold the legs and use a tree limb or rock, whatever to steady against.

ANY kind of softening material works great to nestle the forend in so I LEAVE the pod on and just use it on a jacket, hat, scarf etc...best of BOTH worlds...besides the pod protects the forend a bit and the two legs act as leveler's.ds(I fold the legs BACK towards the trigger)

I shoot a lot just by setting the folded legs on whatever level OR un-flat spot to steady...don't have any problems nailing sage-rats well beyond 400 yds...if I can see'um, I can eat'um(NOT sagerats but...you know).

At one time I rolled up a bit of 1/2" foam rubber about 4" dia and attached a clip so I could hang it on a belt loop etc...worked great...I still use it on my shooting bench for shooting springer pellet guns...they don't jump or throw shots like setting on a harder surface, ANY shooting support like lead-sleds, etc. even with a foam pad on the forend support.

Probably better to just learn how to shoot in odd positions like a Marine sniper and grow a tail if you are going mountain climbing.

Good Hunting tu2 beer

Posts: 1211 | Registered: 25 January 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Speaking of bipods -- watched some WWII film where they show many quick views of things . One was interesting as it showed one of the military rifles with bipod and stretched between the ends of the bipod legs was what looked like part of a snow shoe with typical mesh .Couldn't tell what gun it was .Anyone seen one ? Confused

Posts: 7636 | Registered: 10 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am in the ruck sack crowd, for reasons of adaptability to the conditions of the shot. I've shot off fence posts, rocks, and areas in which a bipod would not have been advantageous.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

Posts: 2389 | Registered: 19 July 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NONAGONAGIN:
Most of my rifles have bipods of some brand...they are easy to use and work well when there is a flat surface but can be a PITA when you have to futz around with adjusting leg length. Mostly I just hold the legs and use a tree limb or rock, whatever to steady against.

ANY kind of softening material works great to nestle the forend in so I LEAVE the pod on and just use it on a jacket, hat, scarf etc...best of BOTH worlds...besides the pod protects the forend a bit and the two legs act as leveler's.ds(I fold the legs BACK towards the trigger)

I shoot a lot just by setting the folded legs on whatever level OR un-flat spot to steady...don't have any problems nailing sage-rats well beyond 400 yds...if I can see'um, I can eat'um(NOT sagerats but...you know).

At one time I rolled up a bit of 1/2" foam rubber about 4" dia and attached a clip so I could hang it on a belt loop etc...worked great...I still use it on my shooting bench for shooting springer pellet guns...they don't jump or throw shots like setting on a harder surface, ANY shooting support like lead-sleds, etc. even with a foam pad on the forend support.

Probably better to just learn how to shoot in odd positions like a Marine sniper and grow a tail if you are going mountain climbing.

Good Hunting tu2 beer

Funny, I attach mine backwards as well; it is a lot easier to extend the legs that way. On the sitting model I know exactly how much to extend it. Since I don't attach until ready to shoot or on a final stalk, mounting backwards presents no issues carrying.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Which way the legs point kinda depends on the weapon...some of my XP, AR10/15 and other short rifle/long pistols have the legs pointing forward... whatever works best/feels right. Cool

Good Hunting tu2 beer

Posts: 1211 | Registered: 25 January 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post