New
Find
Notify
Tools

First Post
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well, see we have the new section and that is fine with me. I don't shoot long range for hunting purposes, but prone/sling style shooting from 600-1000yds and primarily with micrometer "iron" sights. For those who do shoot long range for hunting, would suggest that you take your favorite rifle/caliber, to a range providing such ranges and spend some time "behind the gun." Preference would be at a formal target, not a rock or bucket and see just what the rifle/caliber will do for a five shot group at no less than 600yds. Most likely you will be using a bag or rest and that is fine but if there are any flaws in your abilities/equpment it will show up and a lot can be learned by doing this.
At these ranges you are going to have mirage and that can be either a bad thing or a good thing. At times the mirage appears to be a river running either right or left and is a basic indicator of wind direction and yes, even speed of the wind. Rule of thumb, if you have been seeing mirage and even though the temperature has not changed and you can not see it, the wind speed has approached or exceeded some 10mph. The mirage has gone "flat line." Would mention that if the mirage appears to be in a "boil" as in pot of water on stove, don't shoot for the elevation will change in the flight of the bullet. If it is a full value wind, from 9 o'clock or 3'o'clock the bullet drift is significant at those ranges. Reading the wind whether by mirage or other items is the tricky part of long range shooting. Elevation is fairly easy and predictable for most rounds not a lot of variance. 6.5/284, 7Rem.Mag, 300WinMag require less elevation than say 308 or '06 but not as much as you would perhaps think.
Truth of the matter, no matter how expensive the rifle scope you are using it is a poor instrument to read mirage and when set on a high magnification, worsens the picture. Note that "designated shooters" will have a partner with spotting scope doping the conditions. Also the scope on the rifle is generally of 10x and fixed at that. Well aware that mfg.s offer rifle scopes with ballistic drums for a specific round and magnification, have such a scope, but would prefer to know the come ups required for my rifle and ammunition being used. Time spent at the range will provide you with this knowledge and also reveal just how accurate your BDC system is working that particualr day under those weather conditions.
In closing, glad to see this section and look forward to seeing comments from others for even though I have been shooting long range for sometime, there is a whole lot I have yet to learn. Have not reached the stage where I shoot all X's, but still trying.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dangit MFD Ya beat me to the first post after I requested the forum.

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
(cough)

Cool

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
MFD,

At first I thought you were getting ready to ding LRH. Glad to read you were being helpful with great info.

When it comes to the limit of how far to take game, I say let the limit of the rifle/caliber, shooter's ability and a good dose of judgement be the deciding factors.

To shooters/hunters looking to get into LRH, get your rifle shooting, a good load, sighted in well and then get "OFF" the bench and practice practice practice. Get your self a log book and write down all your conditons, where your hits and misses occurred and then go home and study/ponder it to see where you need improvement and what your "personal" limit it.

Alan

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post