New
Find
Notify
Tools

Coriolis Effect
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm just getting into long range shooting and have a question.

When shooting 500 yards how much do I need to worry about Coriolis Effect?

Do you guys have any websites I can cruise around to learn more about long range shooting?

Posts: 517 | Location: North West South Dakota | Registered: 26 October 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very little for targets if you use my gun. Not at all if you use my gun for hunting.

Posts: 1946 | Registered: 16 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Randy

Too many variables to answer the question. I highly recommend you start your study of LR shooting with this book:

Applied Ballistics For Long Range Shooting 2nd Ed. By Bryan Litz

For most long range shooting the rising target or dropping target problem on east or west shots only becomes an issue when approaching or exceeding 1000 yards.

Posts: 1946 | Registered: 16 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think for 16" naval guns ranging out to 20 miles they have to worry about it, but not for 500 yards.
Just my 2 cents.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much for the replies.

Posts: 517 | Location: North West South Dakota | Registered: 26 October 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Smokin Joe
posted Hide Post

Posts: 403 | Location: CA | Registered: 30 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
Good video. Short with good explanations. Explains why zero for Moyock, shooting to the east slightly south (100 degrees or so)and Quantico shooting north by north west (330-340 degrees) zero changes some. Can't just count clicks and shoot.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Navaluk:
Randy

Too many variables to answer the question. I highly recommend you start your study of LR shooting with this book:

Applied Ballistics For Long Range Shooting 2nd Ed. By Bryan Litz

For most long range shooting the rising target or dropping target problem on east or west shots only becomes an issue when approaching or exceeding 1000 yards.

Absolutely the best book on the subject...WAY better than anything else out there. Spin drift is a bigger problem than Coriolis. Litz has an excellent way to show its effects in his book.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the video.

Does anybody know if I can read that book from my computer?

One of Us
Picture of CoyoteKiller82
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Randy Routier:
Thank you for the video.

Does anybody know if I can read that book from my computer?

As far as I know, you can get an e-version, but only for the Kindle.

Other than that, it's buy the book like in the good old days!

Posts: 504 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 03 December 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
Kindle for PC should work if it a Kindle book.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gotcha