Find
Notify
Tools

LabRadar: expensive, or what...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
Using both at the same time will give data from two sources that can be averaged.
Can't say if this is better or not but will be about as good as humans can do at this point.

Posts: 1209 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
good point Timan.

That is one of the nice things about the Oehler 35P. There are three skyscreens, and it measures the velocity between the first and second, and then the third, compares the two, and then averages them. I was invited to Ken Oehler's Chronograph school about twenty years ago, and also own an M43 strain gauge pressure testing system.

The major advantage of the LabRadar unit, is its' better portability and set up time.

Me, I am retired, and five more minutes does not matter.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
2 years later....what are the thoughts on this? Besides the aiming issue with the unit I have heard nothing but praise for the LabRadar. I want one.

$559 without the stand

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really like mine. Don't buy the bench stand, use a tripod. Some times it is hard to get the bench stand close enough to the muzzle of the gun to trigger. Aiming is not as critical as some say.

Man it is nice to get to the range and not need a ceasefire to set up!

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had one now for about a year and a half, I've tossed all the other Chono crap into the goodwill bin, as was mentioned earlier, get a battery pack like most of us need for our cell phones that keep dying before the day is over... I run my LR and recharge my cell a couple times with it Cool And I'm not that high tech, just the kids show me how...
I've had a little problems with some consistency collecting data on the smaller calibers - 17 and 22 the signal to noise ratio (SNR) gets dirty by or before 100 yards but with the larger 375 and 45 calibers I've got good data to 200 yards.
worth every penny in my opinion - now if I can just come up to speed on the "Pressure Trace" unit.

Posts: 12 | Location: Northeast Wyoming | Registered: 21 January 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
LR is so convenient that I use it during my long range shooting sessions in the desert. I log every shot, the conditions, etc. Try that with any other chrono.

The aiming problem is solved if you just take a Bic pen body or straw and place it in the aiming slot.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
I ordered mine this morning...LabRadar shipped it before noon and I should have it next week. Thank you for the advice on the bench stand. I have a few photography tripods I can spare. I didn't buy the padded case as I have a few Pelican cases I can repurpose for this and my fish finders.

Can't Wait!

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I recently noticed one of my Lapuas was shooting faster - about 20 fps (normally shoots 285 ELDs at 2750-2759). Cleaned the gun and viola: at yesterday's long range session I fired once at 800 and once at 1190 - 2756 and 2757 again. It had been a while since I cleaned it. You won't notice that with any other chrono because you won't set it up except when testing loads at a range.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post