New
Find
Notify
Tools

LabRadar: expensive, or what...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just got Emails from two shooters supply companies, both featuring the LabRadar unit.

It's close to eight hundred dollars by time it's shipped to my house.

Do those of you that have had one more than 30 days find it that valuable?

$780 plus shipping.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got one - it's fantastic - the now and the future of chronographing - Doppler radar.

I record every shot when I go shooting. Easy to do, easy to set-up. When LR shooting, if you miss and it's due to an aberrant velocity, you know it.

It will record velocities from MV to V20yds, V40, V60, V80, and V100 for each round. You decide on the distances out to ~100 yds.

The data is accurate enough to calculate your own ballistic coefficient. I've correlated my BCs with those offered by Bryan Litz. They're the same.

Highly recommended. Worth the money. I have ~$600.00 invested in mine.

Only the MagnetSpeed competes for simplicity and ease of use.

The old sky screen chronos are now ABSOLETE!

Posts: 3720 | Registered: 03 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just received one from Long Range Hunting Forum Store. About 825, shipped to Alaska with bench plate, tripod, SD card, extra rechargable battery bank, air gun trigger adapter, and carrying case.
Have not had the opportunity to use it yet, but the convenience of set up on a public range pushed me to purchase. The reviews that I have read, seem to be positive.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
I just got Emails from two shooters supply companies, both featuring the LabRadar unit.

It's close to eight hundred dollars by time it's shipped to my house.

Do those of you that have had one more than 30 days find it that valuable?

$780 plus shipping.

Posts: 425 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
$600 bucks, all in, on midway -
you rave about the oehler 35 -- this is 1/5 the cost of the same

it works
it works DOWN RANGE (in some circumstances)
nothing to shoot AT
it aint cheap

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38379 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I wish that they had come out two years ago, I just got tired of waiting and bought another PACT chronograph. As soon as it wears out I'll probably order one of the radar units.

They'll probably be cheaper then since my last chronograph lasted 23 years.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12501 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Couple things jeffe:

1. I can buy a new 35 from Ken for $600 (retail) shipped and insured to my front door. I bought the one I have now while down in Austin attending Ken's Chronograph School about 25 years ago. It comes in a hard case.

2. The price from Bruno's for the LR,

unit, $600
SD Card, $10
battery pack, $25
case, $40
tripod, $55
BR Plate, $40

Even using the "new math", that adds up to $770, which does not include shipping.

3. None of the places I have looked for the LabRadar list the complete unit for the prices you are quoting. Their advertised price is for the bare unit. It is useless until you pony up for the accessories.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
My friends, on the small caliber board, say that it has an upper velocity readout limit of 3900fps.

True???........the LabRadar, that is.

Friend Of The 17
Kevin

Posts: 409 | Location: The Republic Of Texas, USA | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I dunno about the LR, but my 35P would read, accurately, the 5400+fps I got with my 22-Eargesplittenloudenboomer* and the 60gr Nosler solid bases bullets.

Rich

* 22-378 Wbee

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used a PACT unit for number of years now and becoming aware of the PR checked out some reviews on it and as to be expected some were not pleased with it, but most gave it very high marks. MFG. is a Canadian firm and is heavily involved in such devices for military/scientific apparatus and do have a solid background. No screens, no wires, so as long as it gives correct data would say they have a winner but I will give it more time to see how others get along with it.

Posts: 1050 | Location: S.Charleston, WV | Registered: 18 June 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All you need to get good data is the unit and the BC plate. The battery pack is highly recommended, otherwise you'll spend much on batteries.

Posts: 3720 | Registered: 03 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
I dunno about the LR, but my 35P would read, accurately, the 5400+fps I got with my 22-Eargesplittenloudenboomer* and the 60gr Nosler solid bases bullets.

Rich

* 22-378 Wbee

would it? at 100 yards? 200?

559 from midway, goes on your tripod, don't need any other extras, including don't need a SD card, as if you don't have one laying around...

it's MATH, hoss -- the unit is closer to 600 bucks, delivered -- all the stuff you want with it my YOUR cost higher ..

put it on a tripod, go shoot it -- you can accessorize later, if you wish to

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38379 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I had a friend who built a mount with an angled steel plate in front of the sky screens and he would run one chronograph at the bench and one at the 100 yard line.

I can put my sky screens at 100 yards right in front of my target and get velocities there. It's a matter of how much you trust yourself. Big Grin

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12501 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With the acoustic screen set up and my little reel of phone cord, I could run the second screen out to 600 yards and measure BC. Especially useful with cast bullets and the 800/900/1000yd matches at Raton, and at the Quigley.

vote with your credit card...

One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
It would be interesting to set up the radar and a screen together at the same time and see how much difference there is.

Posts: 1209 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
that would pretty much settle the discussion...