Find
Notify
Tools

1000 yd rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shootaway
The 155 gr Lapua Scenar's out of a 20” barrel 308 win with the right load will do fine at a 1000 yards.

I personally prefer the 175 gr in a .308 win. But I do know that there are F class shooters that have won 1000 yard matches with the 155 gr Lapua Scenar's or 155 gr Sierra Palma bullets. I would see what bullet your barrel likes the best and go with that.

Jerry Jacques Alaska Master Guide www.bristol-bay.com

Posts: 36 | Location: Iliamna Alaska | Registered: 10 December 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
I once heard that a 30 inch barrel along with lighter bullets like the 155gr be used for 1000yd shooting with a 308 to get maximum velocity and stay supersonic.I think a 13 twist works for the 155gr.

What Shoots is describing is the quintessential Palma Rifle.

It has been a couple of years since I shot a Palma match but back then a 308 with a 30-32" 1 in 13 barrel pushing a 155 Grain SMK (2155) at 2975 to 3000 FPS was the norm. I do not think the game has changed that much.

Even with the new SMK (2156), Bergers, Lapua Scenar I still want at least 2950 FPS out of the barrel, that will be around 1300 FPS at 1000 yards.

IMO for a long range rifle there are better cartidges than the .308; the 6.5 by 284 or 7mm WSM come to mind.

I shot a 30-338 Winchester in High power prone matches and it will beat the snot out of you by the end of the day. Ballistically it was great but the price was recoil.

Posts: 2950 | Registered: 26 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wistrapper, tyler kemp has some good advice there. You will need a bullet like he suggested to get all the performance out of a .300 winny. Take a look at the Berger VLD bullets. I'm shooting 180's out of a 7 mag with half, or less, MOA accuracy past 1100 yards. The value of a magnum is not shooting light or medium weight bullets fast, it is in shooting the highest BC bullets relatively fast.
Are you familiar with longrangehunting.com?

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike70560:
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
I once heard that a 30 inch barrel along with lighter bullets like the 155gr be used for 1000yd shooting with a 308 to get maximum velocity and stay supersonic.I think a 13 twist works for the 155gr.

What Shoots is describing is the quintessential Palma Rifle.

It has been a couple of years since I shot a Palma match but back then a 308 with a 30-32" 1 in 13 barrel pushing a 155 Grain SMK (2155) at 2975 to 3000 FPS was the norm. I do not think the game has changed that much.

Even with the new SMK (2156), Bergers, Lapua Scenar I still want at least 2950 FPS out of the barrel, that will be around 1300 FPS at 1000 yards.

IMO for a long range rifle there are better cartidges than the .308; the 6.5 by 284 or 7mm WSM come to mind.

I shot a 30-338 Winchester in High power prone matches and it will beat the snot out of you by the end of the day. Ballistically it was great but the price was recoil.
Thanks Mike that is nice to know.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Off the shelf Savage 6.5/284. Spend the money on the glass, that's what counts.

I spend as I believe, 338 RUM, 1/2 moa to the end of the earth:

Posts: 801 | Location: Pinedale WY USA & Key West FL USA | Registered: 04 February 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cobrad

I hear what you and Tyler are saying with the heavier bullets. No doubt I'll try them but I'm hoping that the 175's will shoot too so I can keep ample stock for both my 308 and what will be my new 300 win. If the heavies shoot better I guess I'll just have to stock yet another lot of copper jacketed goodness.

45-70

nice rifle I'm sure, but there is not one thing about that rifle that is compact nor does it have a detachable mag. A couple of the must haves on this particular build.

**************************The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.

Posts: 282 | Location: South West Wisconsin | Registered: 27 February 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any regular Savage, M70, 700 etc fitted with a detach mag will be less rigid and solid than a solid bottom single shot. The are specialized magazine rifle like the SAKO TRG that are solid as a single shot .... priced one recently?

Unless you plan to hunt people no 1000 yard gun needs a magazine because no accomplished or ethical hunter would ever shoot at game that far away. As for "compact", the only way you will get somewhat compact is a Ruger No 1 in a custom one piece stock. In any bolt gun the barrel will be too short.
I have a 1000 yard magazine rifle (not detachable) and it was the cats' PJs in 1950/60s as was a F.I 283/327 Chevy. I love it to death but the $1000 Savage will have the $4000 Winchester for lunch.

Perhaps spending 20 bucks on this:

http://www.amazon.com/Precisio...rennan/dp/0967094887

would save you a lot of grief, frustration and money.

Posts: 801 | Location: Pinedale WY USA & Key West FL USA | Registered: 04 February 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45-70 shooter:
Any regular Savage, M70, 700 etc fitted with a detach mag will be less rigid and solid than a solid bottom single shot. The are specialized magazine rifle like the SAKO TRG that are solid as a single shot .... priced one recently?

Unless you plan to hunt people no 1000 yard gun needs a magazine because no accomplished or ethical hunter would ever shoot at game that far away. As for "compact", the only way you will get somewhat compact is a Ruger No 1 in a custom one piece stock. In any bolt gun the barrel will be too short.
I have a 1000 yard magazine rifle (not detachable) and it was the cats' PJs in 1950/60s as was a F.I 283/327 Chevy. I love it to death but the $1000 Savage will have the $4000 Winchester for lunch.

Perhaps spending 20 bucks on this:

http://www.amazon.com/Precisio...rennan/dp/0967094887

would save you a lot of grief, frustration and money.

Listen friend... This will be my rifle, built the way I want, and for what I want. I do not care to be chastised by you for what you think I need.

Now that, that is out of the way. I'll agree with you that a single shot action is stiffer. But this can be done with a magazine fed bolt action. The Sako you mention is one of them and there are others too. Maybe I'll find that I'll need to go with a little longer barrel to keep my projectile supersonic at the max range I intend to shoot. But I doubt it.

**************************The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.

Posts: 282 | Location: South West Wisconsin | Registered: 27 February 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Wistrapper,

In your original post you asked for suggestions concerning stocks and in subsequent posts mentioned you want stock compact as possible and detachable magazines. Have you considered one of Eliseo's kits? I recommended one in another thread recently. Also I own one for NRA XTC and really like it.

The Tactical is one option. Not a true collapsible stock, but it can be shortened substantially and is removable. It also uses a removable magazine. It requires a 700 long action.

http://www.gotxring.com/tactical/

The hunter is another option. Similar to the one above, except you use an AR buttstock.

http://www.gotxring.com/hunting/

Which twist rate are you planning on using? I shoot the ballistic twin to the 300WM, a 30-338WM. It is barreled with a 1 in 8 Krieger. The magnums really shine with the heavy bullets. It has been a good solid long range performer.

Good luck with your final choices, we are lucky as there are so many good ones these days.

Posts: 2950 | Registered: 26 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WS, you build whatever you want. Anything to help get more guns out there is fine with me.

Any magazine action that is a solid as my Savage will cost more than my whole rifle and, not that it matters, (for my application) will be far more heavy as well.

One of Us
Picture of Xero
posted Hide Post
Remington 700 PSS, 26" bbl. .308 Win. Leupold Mark 4, 6.5x - 22x 50mm, Mil Dot, 80mm hood, Jewell trigger (w/ safety), Rock River bipod.

162 gr. bullets, w/ Mil Dot and this rifle runs out to 1000 yards just fine. Larger magnum calibers may offer better performance, but his setup works fine. Most of my work is off a bench-rest out to about 600 metres, and shooting targets.

I think the key to shooting these sorts of distances is custom loading for accuracy.

==================================================================
A. Hamilton "The Federalist, No. 29, 'Concerning the Militia'"

[I]f circumstances should at any time oblige the government to form an army of any magnitude that army can never be formidable to the liberties of the people while there is a large body of citizens, little, if at all, inferior to them in discipline and the use of arms, who stand ready to defend their own rights and those of their fellow-citizens. This appears to me the only substitute that can be devised for a standing army, and the best possible security against it, if it should exist.

Posts: 130 | Location: Tombouctou, Mali  | Registered: 11 January 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of N51lDr1v3r
posted Hide Post
I chose a barrett 338lm for my long range habit. Cant say enough good things about there quality.

Rifle constantly out shoots the driver...

Hand loads...... Never settle for OEM

Posts: 80 | Location: Sin City | Registered: 18 November 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
Picture of Enigma
posted Hide Post
I had the same problem deciding which rifle to get for a budget 1000 yrd rig. After some research I ordered a Savage Model 12 LRP (Long Range Precision) in 260 REM. That's the target series with a black HS Precision stock and a 26 inch fluted barrel with a 1/8 twist.

Enigma

Posts: 347 | Location: Canada | Registered: 30 August 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That 260 should serve you well if you can keep bullets supersonic to 1000 yds. Also be a nice rig for "ambush" medium game hunting.

We shoot a bit farther at gongs across the sagebrush sea. Had this 338 RUM built by Scott Null for 1/2 of what the scope cost. It's a 1/2 moa rifle with 300 Bergers. Not a "walk around rifle" at 20 pounds.

Good shooting, mirage is a bit-- !

Posts: 44 | Registered: 13 March 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4barexpert:
That 260 should serve you well if you can keep bullets supersonic to 1000 yds. Also be a nice rig for "ambush" medium game hunting.

We shoot a bit farther at gongs across the sagebrush sea. Had this 338 RUM built by Scott Null for 1/2 of what the scope cost. It's a 1/2 moa rifle with 300 Bergers. Not a "walk around rifle" at 20 pounds.

Good shooting, mirage is a bit-- !

Larry Root you are back again

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post