New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington 2020
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The latest American Rifleman has an article on the Remington 2020, which features a less featured Tracking Point system, but at a $5.5K price point. A lot better than $25.5K! Good read.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
If it's less featured, what does it do? I can get a top notch rangefinder and accurate scoped rifle for around that price.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of PaulS
posted Hide Post
The 2020 calculates ballistics, wind shift, altitude, pressure and allows you to lock on a target. Then when you place the cross-hairs on the mark you pull the trigger and if you didn't move off target you have a good shot.
The firing mechanism, as I understand it, is not controlled by the 2020 as it is in the tracker system. With the tracker system once you set the target you can hold the trigger back and when the sight is properly aligned it will fire. I don't believe that function was carried over to the 2020.

Speer, Sierra, Lyman, Hornady, Hodgdon have reliable reloading data. You won't find it on so and so's web page.

Posts: 639 | Location: SE WA.  | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tyler, that is what makes the price point very interesting. It does more than a top notch rangefinder and an accurate scoped rifle. You can read the details for yourself in AR but basically you still "tag" the target but must press the trigger yourself. It comes preprogrammed for certain loads only. I find that price point very interesting because, as you say, it is about the price of the equipment, yet you get a lot more, and, as I understand it, it is a lot quicker, due to the integrated nature of the "system".
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And the battery is guaranteed not to freeze in cold weather, right...?

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Tyler. I have a BR2 rangefinder; that thing absolutely puts the bullet on target... while it doesn't measure the wind, it does give you holdoff in MOA for each of five different ballistic traces.

The wind generates 99 percent of all misses if you are a good shooter; the ballistic solution is the least of your worries.

As for the "lock on" feature, I guarantee if you are moving when the crosshair touches the target you will miss due to the lock time etc.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can a fella get email in that abortion of a scope?

Posts: 1168 | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't think you can get email, but it links to your phone, tablet, etc. via bluetooth. You can sit near the shooter and see what they're seeing in real time (and record it). I was at the writer's seminar when they unveiled it and, to me, that was one of the more useful features from a teaching perspective.

Posts: 986 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just what we need, more technology in hunting. Might as well sit home and watch a hunting show.

Posts: 20075 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Safari James
posted Hide Post
The interesting aspect about TP is that they incorporated various discreet technology elements into a single platform. So, instead of carrying a laser range finder, a ballistic calculator, and a radio or other device for weather related data, all this capability and more has been rolled into a single platform capable of collapsing the disparate data and discrete manual inputs into an almost instantaneous shot plan (still missing wind). This shot plan combined with the “trigger/tag” for the high-end system makes this a unique offering in today’s civilian shooting market.

During my discussions with former members of the TP team, I thought their biggest hurdles in the civilian market would be the “ethics” hurdle along with “too much technology” argument. To that end, I feel the challenge will be taking the platform across the sales chasm from early adopter to mainstream adoption in the middle market for hunters. I’d suggest they are very early in this adoption phase, which, has been initiated by people looking to get into long range shooting without spending the time to develop the skills and platforms (rifles, loads, accompanying gear).

It will be fun to watch how this platform evolves over time and what the adoption rates are. In the mean time, I’ll be hunting with my old school double rifles, wheel guns, and stick and string.

Safari James
USMC
DRSS

Posts: 369 | Location: Texas | Registered: 16 August 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Biebs,
We have an outfitter in Texas that will set up a rifle with robotic movements. You are looking through the scope from the comfort of your home and through the scope that you are watching with your computer. Just pull the trigger. Outfitter recovers your kill, field dress it, and takes it to the butcher shop. I think you may have to drive to the butcher shop to get your meat.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is almost enough to get a guy to take up golf.

Rich

I said "almost"...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I read about this rifle in Guns&Ammo. It seems to be specific for the three Remington loads that are included with the rifle. Kind of leaves the reloader out of the picture.

Posts: 187 | Location: foothills of NC | Registered: 03 August 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, but this is the FIRST attempt. Do you not think that the programming will improve? If there is a demand, then improvements will be made, However I am not sure how many people want to be in at the basement. Having said that, no demand (ie. guns selling), no improvements.
Peter