New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shooting School?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
So, have given myself an early Christmas present, in the form of a new MG Arms Ultralite rifle (TBD in 300WM). And, in order to get the range time & srriously upgrade my skills in the mid/long range, am thinking of going back to “school”… a top shooting school.

I am thinking that I need to go somewhere that’s going to teach me the theory – but then get me shooting out to 400yds, quick and precise (like can easily happen in the mountains) + further with all the prep.

My list includes SAAM and Gunwerks – does anyone have any recommendation / personal experiences?

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
If you have access to a longer range, I would first try shooting yourself. Read up on the subject. Shoot at bigger targets or at least where you can see your misses clearly. 400 yards quickly is very easily doable with just a reticle with a bit of practice.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Tyler. Yeah, I can shoot out to 400, no major issues, no major issues. Just not with the confidence I would have with some finer instruction.

I am looking for someone (pro) to show me the skills, and the drills to keep doing, to get that down to a snap-shot (say from walking to shot in <15 secs - with confidence)

+, let's face it, its easy to tell the wife I am "going to school", to shoot 250 rounds... not just out to the range with the boys (and beers)

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The FTW ranch has an excellent long range program. Elton Rambin a PM for details.
It is a very professional operation.

Posts: 477 | Location: western arkansas | Registered: 11 July 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Orvar.

You might take a few minutes to review our facebook comments... if you have not done so already. Contact and I will be pleased to
share thoughts as to what we are and are not.

https://www.facebook.com/saamtrainingbyftw
Regards.

Elton Rambin
Mail/Ship: 1802 Horse Hollow Rd.
Barksdale, Texas 78828
Phone: 479 461 3656
Ranch: 830-234-4366
Check our Hunt & Class Schedule
at
www.ftwoutfitters.com

4 Rules of Gun Safety
1/ Treat all guns as though they are loaded.
2/ Never point the muzzle at anything you do not want to shoot.
3/ Do not put your finger on trigger until your sights are on target and you are ready to shoot.
4/ Be sure of your target and safe background.

Posts: 268 | Location: Western Arkansas/Barksdale,TX. USA | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Orvar, scroll down this forum and look for "Texas Shooting School" by larryshores. He went to this place for long range rifle shooting. Read his posts and PM him if you want to. he is a good guy.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks very much!

One of Us
Picture of Bwana_500
posted Hide Post
Another option would be Rifles Only http://www.riflesonly.com/courses.html Jacob Bynum, the principle there has been offering courses and running matches for years, and I know he was a serious student of shooting from at least the 1990s. There are a lot of shooting schools popping up in the last few years - not all of them have a good pedigree.

Posts: 422 | Location: Australia | Registered: 03 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a buddy I met a couple of years ago during some training. Prior to that he was a sniper with Ranger Regiment. He said Rifles Only was the best civilian course he had been to.

Also, if you didn't have beer at the range with your buddies you might get some more done. Guns and alcohol don't mix.

Posts: 518 | Registered: 28 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Also, if you didn't have beer at the range with your buddies

what 7mm said may come across wrong, but the underlying truth is still there. You can have a LOT of fun shooting, without beer.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have taken a course for long range shooting put on by jamie donson of wolf precision in johnstown, pa. 3 day course with classroom in morning and shooting in afternoon. Will get you shooting out to 1100 or so. No tough guy attitude or chest beating. Teaches wind reading, ranging with reticle and how to properly build your shooting platform. Highly recommend class.

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Take a look at Professional Marksmen, Inc. They provide 3 different long range courses at the NRA Whittington Center in northern NM--a very beautiful place. The instruction is not done on ranges, but in the backcountry.

Posts: 1 | Registered: 16 September 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks very much!

One of Us
Picture of MikeE
posted Hide Post
I've been to several of these schools, the SAAM school at the FTW is best for the hunter or safari warm up. Rifles Only is a fine school, but doesn't have quite the orientation towards the hunters needs.

SAAM has several different types of classes, the SAAM 1 is great for getting starting in true precision stuff. The Safari school, with it's popup targets is good for getting ready for that first Africa trip, as well as learning how to manage your PH and hunt. That is as important as the shooting.

Master of Boats,
Slayer of Beasts,
Charmer of the fair sex, ......
and sometimes changer of the diaper.....

Posts: 347 | Location: HackHousBerg, TX & LA | Registered: 12 July 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post