THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LONG RANGE SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Long Range Shooting    Has anyone tried .270 Win at 1K?

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Has anyone tried .270 Win at 1K?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted
Just curious, on paper it looks like it would work with a 150 grain match bullet.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I have done that and it works OK, but rarely see that caliber used in LR Matches or at least when I was active. In those days there were no good bullets but that Sierra MK 150 should work just fine for you will have plenty of velocity to keep it super sonic at the 1K mark. The 6.5/284 came along and believe pretty well stopped any real development of the 270 for long range match shooting. That 6.5 bullet has a lot going for it over the .277 bullet I believe. Off subject, but if you want to have some fun try a 22-250 w/ quality barrel and shoot the 80's w/ 7 or 8 twist. It works real good at the 1K range and no noticeable recoil. Just a thought.

Posts: 1050 | Location: S.Charleston, WV | Registered: 18 June 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Instructor:
Yes, I have done that and it works OK, but rarely see that caliber used in LR Matches or at least when I was active. In those days there were no good bullets but that Sierra MK 150 should work just fine for you will have plenty of velocity to keep it super sonic at the 1K mark. The 6.5/284 came along and believe pretty well stopped any real development of the 270 for long range match shooting. That 6.5 bullet has a lot going for it over the .277 bullet I believe. Off subject, but if you want to have some fun try a 22-250 w/ quality barrel and shoot the 80's w/ 7 or 8 twist. It works real good at the 1K range and no noticeable recoil. Just a thought.

I've never shot the 270 at 1,000 yards but I have shot my 1:10" twist 22.250 using the 69 grain SMK,s, they're a lot of fun until the wind comes up.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12525 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
I've shot Berger 80.5's in my AR at 1K. Didn't go to bad, 140 and a few X's. One miss that we never figured out and one when the wind let off (a couple of 5's to the left also). I've shot 175's in .308 also 180's but I have a scope too.

I might have to try the .270 sometime but it's a sporter barrel so I wouldn't expect much.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Matrix has come out wits some very high BC 165g VLD bullets. I've got a 270 Weatherby. I plan to try them with.

http://www.matrixballistics.co...r-rifle-bullets.html

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4726 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chuck375:
Matrix has come out wits some very high BC 165g VLD bullets. I've got a 270 Weatherby. I plan to try them.

http://www.matrixballistics.co...r-rifle-bullets.html

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4726 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post