THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LONG RANGE SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Long Range Shooting    Would you consider a .270Win or .280 Rem a long range cartridge?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Would you consider a .270Win or .280 Rem a long range cartridge?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
I hear you. IMO, the .300 RUM with 210 Bergers is the biggest beast on wheels.

I used to shoot the 210 Bergers but went to 225 and 220 ELDs. The Bergers were accurate.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I love the Bergers in all calibers I’ve tried them.

They are so consistent and accurate.

But I’ll admit to never shooting anything heavier than 210 grains in the .300 RUM. Maybe I will.

But I just tend to work until I find good enough - which for me is a very high version of good enough that is pretty close to almost perfect for my needs - and then I just stop right there. Wink

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13321 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've shot with the best of the best in the country at long range out to 1,000 yards...I know how hard it is and I harbor no illusions of what it takes just to get in the black let alone the ten ring...there's a reason the rule allow for unlimited sighter shots at 800-1,000 yards and you will see the best shots in the country take 8-10 shots to get dialed in on a known distance range with range flags, a spotter helping them and thousands of rounds of experience with a given rifle and load...

I don't know anyone on the US Palma Team who would seriously consider a shot on big game past 400 yards to be ethical...

Posts: 721 | Registered: 03 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I don't know anyone on the US Palma Team who would seriously consider a shot on big game past 400 yards to be ethical...

I can top that!
I don't know ANYONE on the US Palma Team but if they couldn't make a 401 yard shot on big game, in an ethical manner and under decent conditions, they're either shooting with poor/improper equipment or lack the skill. There, I said it.

I shoot 300, 600 and 900 yards weekly and your comment is assuming you know what everyone across the Country can do and yet we're suppose to believe you.

For a good shooter with proper equipment, ethical distance is controlled by the weather elements and time. Given time and good conditions, 400 is a chip shot. There are certainly times when conditions dictate that 400 is WAY too far for an ethical shot.

If you want to limit yourself to 400, that's fine but don't assume that something "slightly +" longer is unethical for others.

Yes, I understand that 800 yards isn't twice as far as 400 but rather 4x farther since every mistake is magnified at ranges!!!

Carry on,
Zeke

Posts: 2269 | Registered: 27 October 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot every week with competitive shooters; they really are not too terribly concerned about getting their wind call right with the first shot since it is a sighter, and depending on the discipline, they don't have time to judge mirage carefully for every shot, but rather rely on the flags. I try to avoid the flags since I don't have them hunting. When I shoot in the desert, I don't have them and find it is much more realistic.

I know an F Class shooter who is building a 28 Nosler for me now; he wouldn't hesitate to shoot an elk or deer at 800 yards.

To me the real value of super long range shooting (800 and farther) is that it gives you an intense feel for the wind; like a blind man who cannot see has a more intense sense of feel. It causes me to evaluate the wind every time I shoot at 300 or farther.

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of MyNameIsEarl
posted Hide Post
Back to the original question. Me personally I would choose the 280 for the many reasons mentioned. I do not have either.

I have killed two deer beyond 600 yards with my 270 WSM using 140 grain Accubonds. One was broadside, rib in through the lungs, and a rib out. The second was quartered away. I hit a little far forward but still got lung and it did not exit, bullet found just under the hide in front of opposite shoulder which bullet broke in about 20 pieces.

I personally will not shoot at long range if I can get closer. But in both these instances, getting closer would have meant darkness within minutes. The 2nd deer I was battling the legal time to shoot by seconds probably.

But I practice and practice at those ranges. I also do not get caught up in wanting to shoot another to break my record. I have never wounded an animal and I am not about to start. Both shots were taken because I was able to get a solid rest and study the shot long enough to make it. I will admit I have missed at 200 yards and even at 80 yards with a muzzleloader. Story for another day, but when I missed, it was because I rushed the shot and did not study it first. Practicing and knowing what that bullet will do on its way is much more important than choosing the cartridge to use to do it, IMO.

Posts: 746 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Which range you at? I just picked up my second 300 RUM need to start playing with it

quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Tunkis:
Yeah, you're correct, more practice secessions of shorter time and less rounds down range would be better. I have a 9.3 x62 that necessitates that type of practice schedule, recoil from a 9.3 in an eight pound rifle is a brutal mistress. But I have a bit of OCD when it comes to shooting, and I really like to shoot, especially on those days when it's not windy and I can smack clay birds at 550! With a muzzle brake and a heavy barrel it is so fun to watch hits at long range! Also, my home range here is a wild wind tunnel. Here are some wind speeds taken on a walk out to 550, 0: 3mph, 100: 5 to 7 mph, 200: 10 to 15mph, behind the berm at 325: calm! 400: 5 to 10mph, 550: 10 with gusts to 20+mph. One particularly howling day I had 8 MOA into the wind and just grazed the bird! Next round fired with the same adjustment went several yards off indicating an enormous over correction!

In reality it's not a matter of the "best long range cartridge" it whether you are the best "long range shooter" you can be. Practice not only makes you better, it makes you realize your limitations in the real world.

Yesterday I shot at 800 and 1190. The wind was swirling from behind, going one direction then another, so I actually fired 11 shots with a .300 RUM and two Lapuas. 9 shots at 800 had a vertical dispersion less than 1/2 MOA (I had one shot hit one MOA too far right as well). At 1190 my elevation was dead nuts on with the 2 Lapuas but I was off 2 MOA with both shots (overestimated the wind).

Jesus Ray, Carlos Hathcock? I spoke with him on the phone a couple of times before he died. He never mentioned you.

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2837 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't consider my 2 270's long range but medium range hunting cartridges. I have 300 WM and 300 RUM rifles set up for long range so I'd go with that personally but the 270 is a great caliber. Had a chance to pickup a nice custom 700 in 280 cheap but I didn't know much about the cartridge. Sounds like a good one

White Mountains Arizona

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunslinger55:
Which range you at? I just picked up my second 300 RUM need to start playing with it

quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Tunkis:
Yeah, you're correct, more practice secessions of shorter time and less rounds down range would be better. I have a 9.3 x62 that necessitates that type of practice schedule, recoil from a 9.3 in an eight pound rifle is a brutal mistress. But I have a bit of OCD when it comes to shooting, and I really like to shoot, especially on those days when it's not windy and I can smack clay birds at 550! With a muzzle brake and a heavy barrel it is so fun to watch hits at long range! Also, my home range here is a wild wind tunnel. Here are some wind speeds taken on a walk out to 550, 0: 3mph, 100: 5 to 7 mph, 200: 10 to 15mph, behind the berm at 325: calm! 400: 5 to 10mph, 550: 10 with gusts to 20+mph. One particularly howling day I had 8 MOA into the wind and just grazed the bird! Next round fired with the same adjustment went several yards off indicating an enormous over correction!

In reality it's not a matter of the "best long range cartridge" it whether you are the best "long range shooter" you can be. Practice not only makes you better, it makes you realize your limitations in the real world.

Yesterday I shot at 800 and 1190. The wind was swirling from behind, going one direction then another, so I actually fired 11 shots with a .300 RUM and two Lapuas. 9 shots at 800 had a vertical dispersion less than 1/2 MOA (I had one shot hit one MOA too far right as well). At 1190 my elevation was dead nuts on with the 2 Lapuas but I was off 2 MOA with both shots (overestimated the wind).

Jesus Ray, Carlos Hathcock? I spoke with him on the phone a couple of times before he died. He never mentioned you.

Sean:

Tomorrow at PRG we shoot 500 (I shoot the gongs). I shoot longer range in desert. If you want to go, let me know. Shot twice this week at 800 and 1190, so prob won't go again until next week. Sat is Army Navy and Sunday I am bird hunting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What time do you all do that early am? Yeah I might check it out before work

White Mountains Arizona

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunslinger55:
What time do you all do that early am? Yeah I might check it out before work

Show up around 6:30, shoot at 7 am except this time of year it is a too dark still.