THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LONG RANGE SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Long Range Shooting    Would you consider a .270Win or .280 Rem a long range cartridge?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Would you consider a .270Win or .280 Rem a long range cartridge?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well? Do you consider a .270 or .280 to be a "long range" caliber? My definition of long range is beyond 500 yards.

Posts: 10083 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
From where I sit the 6.5 Creedmoor, the 28 Nosler shooting 195s, the various .300 Mags (Win and RUM), and the .338 Edge/Lapua seem to to be the most popular, depending on the discipline (hunting vs competition vs long range plinking).

The above calibers shoot high BC bullets but you need a fast twist. Past 500 it is all about the wind, assuming you have an accurate rifle.

If I was building a LR rifle I wouldn't pick either of your choices, but if I had one that was accurate and could shoot high BC bullets, why not?

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
Well? Do you consider a .270 or .280 to be a "long range" caliber? My definition of long range is beyond 500 yards.

6.5 x 284 Norma is a very accurate cartridge. I would NOT choose the 270 although it is a good cartridge.

https://ronspomeroutdoors.com/...rt-action-cartridge/

THE Swedes have used the 6.5 bullet with much success over 100 years.

Some Days You Are the Windshield and Some Days You Are the Bug.

Posts: 70 | Registered: 29 March 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I sometimes shoot 22 Hornet at 500 yards. But between the two choices you listed, the 280 would probably be better. There is a much better selection of high BC bullets in 7mm. Now are you just talking about caliber, or the 270 and 280 cartridges made by necking down 30-06? The 280 has enough capacity to work well with heavy bullets. Then you need to consider twist. A 280 with an accurate tight twist barrel would work pretty well inside 2000 yards.

Posts: 861 | Registered: 13 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Yes, but you need to choose the right bullet.

Both the 270 & 280 can push a bullet with a BC essentially at or above .6 BC at or above 2750 fps

If I was building a long range rifle it wouldn't be my first choice but if I was building a hunting rifle capable of long range I would certainly consider them if I had one and had a personal like for them.

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10042 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is definitely a shortage of high BC bullets in 270 although a plethora of 7mm's. I would opt for a 7mm, For long range hunting a 7 RM would be my first choice. For a steady diet of long range hunting I would choose one of the big 338's. Lapua or Allen.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by swampshooter:
There is definitely a shortage of high BC bullets in 270 although a plethora of 7mm's. I would opt for a 7mm, For long range hunting a 7 RM would be my first choice. For a steady diet of long range hunting I would choose one of the big 338's. Lapua or Allen.

Interesting Swampshooter. I used to be a huge 7RM fan, but my enthusiasm has waned - MV is not that much more than a .280 - tough to get over 3K with a 160 gr bullet. I switched to shooting .300 RUMs; velocities with heavy bullets blows the doors off an 06.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot a 300 ultra for hunting with 200 accubonds. No trouble getting 3250 FPS with RL 25 and a 26" pipe. that is about maximum. Put a 28" on there and you may push 3300 FPS with a 200 gr pill.
I know here are more streamlined projectiles than an accubond for pinging metal.

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes. Not the best wind bucking slug, but with a good gun and an accurate shooter who knows the ballistics of his load and his rifle, it can reach out and whack em.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
The Berger 270 caliber 170 grain EOL Elite Hunter.
Recommend a 1:8 twist.
I am doing to give them a try win model 70 1:10.. 325yrs is as far as I can go for a range.
I also have a batch 150gr speer.
might do ok.
if they will group I will see how the do at 500 ++

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't take either as a long range caliber; if starting with a clean piece of paper. If you've already got them, use them with the 280 getting the preference. The .270 is hampered by its 1-10' twist and the bullets available. There's a bit of a chicken and the egg thing going on there.

There is a lot of free talent in higher velocity/higher BCs. It isn't going to do it for you, but it'll make wind calls a lot easier. If your long range shooting includes hunting building and keeping velocty is its own reward.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lots of game has been killed at 500 plus yards with both calibers Im sure along with many other calibers, more may have been wounded..

Long range calibers to me are specialty items in belted or 404 cases re: the new sniper craz and still more or wounded..

IMHO 400 yards is absolute max range for hunting. and that's long range..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41748 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have personally done alot of target shooting with a .270 Winchester at distances out to 600yrds. ,and I can honestly say that I think the .270 flat out sucks at shooting past 400yrds., and would be iffy at that.
Bullets for those rifles just don't buck much wind. The .270 really can't handle bullets weighing over 150gr. either.

The 280 is very close to the 7mm rem mag. But unless it's an Ackley, it won't quite run with the 7mm.
I would draw another card.

Posts: 117 | Location: Augusta, West Virginia | Registered: 30 August 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Dead Eye
posted Hide Post
I put a 10 twist Bartlien barrel on a 270 win Remington 700. It shoots 150 bergers from a 25" barrel at 3050 fps into an inch at 300 yrds. I think I just replaced my 6.5/284....
High BC bullets and fast twists are all the rage I realize. The 270 Win isn't cool enough for that crowd. Perfect.

Posts: 395 | Location: Canada | Registered: 06 March 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
Carlos Hathcock could use an 06 to 1000 yards it is written.

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post