New
Find
Notify
Tools

7mm rem. mag build questions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What barrel length and barrel twist would be the best for shooting 168 vld's out of a Savage model 110 7mm rem. mag for long range? Also, what brand barrel would you recommend?

As far as trigger work, how many lbs. of trigger pull would you recommend for improving shooting?

Also, is the Hogue stock a good choice? and what about pillar bedding?

Lots of questions, sorry! Smiler
thanks,
Dan

Posts: 43 | Registered: 28 February 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
First question would be what are you considering as long range?
Second is this a rifle that will be carried? I built a 7 rem mag on a 700 action using a 26"- 9 twist- #5 Shilen match SS barrel.
The stock was a HS "sporter". The rifle points and handles well and the customer has made successful shots on deer at 650 yards and gallon milk jugs out to 750 yards.
Almost any of the available aftermarket barrel brands will work, preference is similar to a Chevy-Ford argument. A good clean, crisp 2# trigger will allow you to hunt as well as shoot groups- no hunting depending on your experience with "light" triggers 10 - 2 ounces.
The Hogue will work fine as a hunting/shooting combo stock, if bench only buy something with a flat 3" wide forearm.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I consider 1000 yards to be long range. I'm comfortable right now with my stock barrel and set-up at 500 yds.

And yes, it is for hunting, and it will be carried.

I've heard some barrels are better for Savage actions than others, but don't know how true that is. Anyway, thanks for the reply DuaneinND, much appreciated.

Posts: 43 | Registered: 28 February 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I have Shilen and Pacnor prefit barrels on some of my Savages and I seem to always get consistent barrels from Shilen. I've had some really good barrels from Pacnor but have also received a couple of average ones.

I like 26" barrels in my long range guns since I shoot out to 1,000 yards regularly but none of mine are magnums. If I was building a 7 Mag I would probably go with 24" and no heavier than a #3 contour (0.625" at the muzzle) if you're going to carry it.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12538 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted Hide Post
I do a bit of long range shooting, like Fjold I don't use magnums. For LR the longer the better for me, 27" would be minimum for me, especially in a magnum. I've hunted with several 26" and 27" guns with no regrets.

-----------------------------------------------------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him. Proverbs 26-4

National Rifle Association Life Member

Posts: 1992 | Location: WI | Registered: 28 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been very happy with my 7mm Remington Magnum 1-10 twist ratio Krieger S.S. with a M24 barrel contour @ 28". Trigger should be set up at 20 ounces or less depending on if it's aftermarket or not. Walt Berger personally told me to get a 1-10 twist ratio barrel from Krieger in order to shoot 168 VLD Bergers, that was about 5 years ago. My average velocity is 3050 with a Greg Tannel custom chamber. Just remember, the heavier the barrel, the more accurate it is. The weight is no issue for me, get a decent neoprene sling and you will not notice the weight. I don't mean to say anything smart ass but you need a high quality rangefinder before you can pursue this route.

Posts: 1935 | Registered: 30 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pillar bed without a doubt! I believe that Hogue has aluminum bedding set-up which makes bedding more precise depending on your gunsmith. Remember that Savage has adjustability collar for bullet seating jump or. C.O.A.L .

Posts: 1935 | Registered: 30 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of londonhunter
posted Hide Post
I am also about to commission such a tool

Anybody consider a turned neck ?

I am thinking of a 307 neck

Throwing 180 VLD

I ran a similar no turn neck before throwing 168 VLD with 26 inch and 9 twist

I am looking for less drift with 180

Posts: 1661 | Location: London | Registered: 14 February 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post