New
Find
Notify
Tools

CZ 550 .338 lapua
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am getting a cz 550 .338 lapua (converted from 416 rigby) with a match bull barrel for a really nice price (60 dollars). Anyone have experience with cz550 based long range rigs?

Posts: 446 | Location: Norway | Registered: 11 November 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted Hide Post
Not yet, so I'll be paying attention to this and other threads you have on this rifle. . What make, twist and contour is the 338 barrel?. What length? . I hope it 28" or so. Are you putting a canted rail on it? What stock and optic?

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Barrel is walther, twist 1:10. Mounted a vortex razer HD 5-20 in a 20 Moa tilted rib, and a break. Shoots fine but have not tested accuracy systematically yet. So far seems to be an one Inch gun with barnes tsx 280 grain pills...

Posts: 446 | Location: Norway | Registered: 11 November 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How many rounds down barrel yet. What powder? A guy I know here uses Rl 22 in his. With 300 gr Sierra SMK and 300 gr Berger's . How long is your barrel?

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cold Trigger Finger:
How many rounds down barrel yet. What powder? A guy I know here uses Rl 22 in his. With 300 gr Sierra SMK and 300 gr Berger's . How long is your barrel?

My Savage shoots 88 gr Retumbo with 300 Bergers or 285 gr Hornady bullets. The AMAX bullets shoot less than 1/2 MOA at 500 yards shooting prone on a rest.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
82 grains imr 7828 behind 280gr barnes lrx (for moose, mountain hunting here in Norway). Barrel is 29 inches. Around 50. Can load pretty long oal and feeds fine.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds good. Have u chronographed that load yet? Hopefully I'll be caribou hunting tomorrow with my 6.5 Creedmoor. But if I catch sight of a grizzly I'll have my 9.3×64 with me. I should have picked up one of several CZ 550s in 416 Rigby that I've handled over the years. I could have gotten a couple of them for around 700$ . Not a bad price for a great rifle. Now that CZ has come out with the Badlands it seems the 338 Lapua is here to stay.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have not chronoed it yet. Guess around 840ms. Shot a moose at 250m a couple months ago. Two lung shots. Passed right through. I have shot a lot of moose with .338 win mag and the bullets never exit through the skin (elastic)...

Having a .450 rigby built now on a prechtl magnum mauser action, but that will not be a long range rig Wink Aimpoint Micro Scope etc...

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norsk:
I have not chronoed it yet. Guess around 840ms. Shot a moose at 250m a couple months ago. Two lung shots. Passed right through. I have shot a lot of moose with .338 win mag and the bullets never exit through the skin (elastic)...

Having a .450 rigby built now on a prechtl magnum mauser action, but that will not be a long range rig Wink Aimpoint Micro Scope etc...

The 285 TSX is too long to penetrate through. I have seen a 225 TSX exit Alaskan moose through both shoulders fired from a 338 win at about 150 yards.

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have opposite experences. 225gr and 250 grain .338 win mag never exit (except for on calves etc). .338 lm 285 tsx passed through... Sectional density is a lot higher for long heavy bullets and if they are pused to decent speed, they penetrate well as long as they are stabilized (fast twist)....

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have opposite experences. 225gr and 250 grain .338 win mag never exit (except for on calves etc). .338 lm 285 tsx passed through... Sectional density is a lot higher for long heavy bullets and if they are pused to decent speed, they penetrate well as long as they are stabilized (fast twist)....

The shank on the 285 TSX is longer and more likely to not track straight a mature Alaskan Yukon moose is extremely large (this area requires 53" spread or more) and the 225 TSX exited both shoulders.

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jwp475:
quote:

The shank on the 285 TSX is longer and more likely to not track straight a mature Alaskan Yukon moose is extremely large (this area requires 53" spread or more) and the 225 TSX exited through both shoulders.

- Winston Churchill