Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger precision rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Turner421
posted Hide Post
Where can I find that federal ammo at? When I first got this gun 2 months ago, I started out shooting 165gr Hornaday SST's with 42.7gr of CFE223. And they shot ok, I was getting out to 650yds. That's when I stayed playing with different bullets with better B.C'S, and different powder. I was wanting to come up with a more accurate combination. I've bought a RCBS charge master, in the hopes I would get more accurate powder charges, and consistent muzzle velocity. I also bought a redding neck sizing die,and a neck turning tool. I think I'm probably trying to much at once!? I'm going to load up some of the 165 SST'S, for Sunday. And I'll see what happens after I get my scope zeroed. AGAIN!

Posts: 100 | Location: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: 10 March 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nosler has some match ammo in 308 for sale as well, I believe.
peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Midway has the Federal GM 168s.

Posts: 670 | Location: Dover-Foxcroft, ME | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Turner421
posted Hide Post
I was at cabelas last nite and saw some Nosler match ammo, but I wasn't sure if I should try it? I might go pick some up before I go out to the farm tomorrow?

Posts: 100 | Location: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: 10 March 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Turner421
posted Hide Post
I didn't have a chance to zero my scope over the weekend. But I was able to pickup some federal match ammo. I will definitely be this next weekend coming up. I did get my rifle tore down and cleaned really good! Got my scope remounted and leveled up to. Guess we'll see what happens. Thanks all of you guys for the input! I'll post what happens Sunday.

One of Us
Picture of Turner421
posted Hide Post
Well I finally made it to the range today! I did like one of you guy's told me, and zeroed my scope @100yds with some federal match ammo. With Sierra 168gn MK. After that I shot some 165gr hornady SST's with 42.7gr of CFE223. I would say that 80% of them found their target @ 600yds. Then I went to some 178gr A-MAX with 38.7gr of Varget, in Hornady cases with turned necks. This was the first time I've shot this load, so I chrono'd 10 rounds. I was surprised that the SD was under 20fps. And they shot great! Anyway I'm rambling, I'm just super happy that my barrel isn't screwed, and fingers crossed I'm getting my ammo under control! Thanks for all your help guys!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did you make a chamber cast of your chamber yet to see if turning case necks helps, or just creates excessive clearance?

Have you gotten to setting Case Base to Ogive length yet, or done anything about testing with various jump or jam on a round?

It sounds like you got an accurate one, I plan to let you be my guinea pig before buying one of these.

Thanks for all your help,

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Turner421
posted Hide Post
I have but, I only have the Hornady O.A.L measuring tool. And is pretty sketchy, it can't be accurate. I also have the bullet comparator set, so I do measure OAL from the ogive. As far as neck Turing, I'm doing it to get even neck tension or the bullet. I don't have a tight chamber, so I'm removing very little as possible. I just started doing this, but I already believe it's made a difference. My cartridges are very concentric, and the mussel velocity doesn't vary near as much as it did before.