Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger precision rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Turner421
posted
I don't know if it's true but, I heard this morning that Ruger is going to have a recall out soon on the barrel!! Has anyone heard about this or is it BS? It very well could be a load of crap, I don't know? I was told that the barrel won't hold a group.

Posts: 100 | Location: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: 10 March 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
What caliber? The RPR's have an excellent reputation for accuracy in the 6.5 Creedmoor.
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Fan
posted Hide Post
A friend shoot a 6,5CM in Texas, very poor with factory ammo. Two inch at 100y. The rifle go back to Ruger.....

Posts: 824 | Location: Munich, Bavaria, thats near Germany | Registered: 23 November 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Turner421
posted Hide Post
I've got it in 308. Until my last trip to the range on Father's day, I hadn't had any major problems. I was hitting targets out to 800yds, just not as well as I would have liked. I honestly thought I needed to get my reloads dialed in? But on Sunday I couldn't go a target at 600yds to save my life! I was using new lapua brass, 39.5gn of IMR4166, Winchester primers, and Sierra tipped match king 175gn bullets. I would adjust my scope, but still have the same POI?! then I switched to some 175gn Barnes LRX and I was back on target! So I'm at a loss here! I don't know what the hell to do? But I can't compete like this!

Posts: 100 | Location: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: 10 March 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From what you describe it would appear to me that your sight/scope was giving issues for changing ammunition would not produce such a variance in accuracy. Yes, some variance but what you describe is on the extreme side. Try "boxing" the scope by shooting at bulls eye, come up and over t the left so many MOA and continue for each corner and back to center for last shot. Scope adjustments should tell you if the scope is "answering the call..." Jus a suggestion.

Posts: 1050 | Location: S.Charleston, WV | Registered: 18 June 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I finally got to fondle one at the Gun Show this past weekend. Nice rifle. It was a 243, which kept it from going home with me.

Turner 421,

I would tear down the scope, and reattach, making sure all of the screws were t-i-g-h-t as I went.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Turner421
posted Hide Post
I was thinking that to, but it's a brand new scope. Vortex viper, it hasn't given me any trouble before? But I'll give it a shot, and see what happens.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Turner's problem is not a "failure to group" problem. I agree that it sounds like a scope or scope mounting problem. So, what is the basis for this 'rumor" that the RPR's are being recalled?
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Local gun dealer tells me that all the ones he has sold to date has been given rave reviews regarding accuracy from all those that purchased them. I know and have shot with some of these buyers and they are all well qualified, NRA classified Long Range shooters.
If I were just starting out shooting NRA Long Range matches I would buy the Ruger for it offers a lot of features I paid far more to have on previous rifles used for those matches.
Similar to a Tubbs Rifle at some 1/3rd the cost.

Posts: 1050 | Location: S.Charleston, WV | Registered: 18 June 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Turner421
posted Hide Post
Honestly guys, my buddy from work went to go buy one in Creedmoor. And the place he buys his guns at told him this rumor, and he told me. I think they were trying to get him to spend more money. I'm goon to do what you suggest and check my scope. I've already taken it off the rifle, all the bolts on the rings were still torqued @17 in lbs. And the mount bolts also were tight. I'm gonna give everything a really good once over, and a good cleaning. Then I plan on re zeroing the scope, and make sure the turrets are moving my point of impact. I'll post what happens Sunday after I go shooting. Thanks for the help guys

one of us
posted Hide Post
Turner, mount the scope sight it in, and then shoot a 5 shot group at whatever your zero is, 200, 300, 600 whatever. At the shorter range eg. 200 yards, you should be shooting sub MOA with decent loads and a 308 using match bullets. At the longer ranges, wind, mirage etc. can mask the accuracy of the rifle. Then perfom the box test as suggested by Instructor. While this seemingly is a test of the scope, it is ALSO a test of the rifle because if the gun is shooting say 1 MOA, then any one bullet can be anywhere within that 1 MOA circle at the range at which you are shooting.
I have a Vortex Viper on my AR10 which is very accurate, but I have not subjected it to that test yet. I may never! It has all kinds of lines and gismos on it, presumably designed so that I do NOT have to dial in the range!
Peter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got one in .308. Load development has not been as no-brain as a friend's .243. But this gun likes 155 gr (both versions) w/45 gr 748, and 168 gr SMKs w/43 gr 748. Been toying with 135 gr SMKs, but so far not as good. Groups around 0.6 to 0.9 MOA for 5 @ 100 yds. Using a fixed 10X. Mil or commercial brass OK. One primer it does not like - so far - is 9 1/2M.

Posts: 670 | Location: Dover-Foxcroft, ME | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Turner421
posted Hide Post
So one more question, should I go out and buy some high dollar match ammo? Or use the best reloads I can turn out?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Turner, all my 308's have shot best with match bullets. Sierra SMK's in 168 or 155 Palma Match, or Nosler 155 grain Match. I did shoot 190 grain SMK's in my 300WM but they are expensive! Samuel's loads are the same as mine! Around 45 grains of Win 748. That's it! No magic! Good luck. If you need some match bullets, PM me and I will send you some. I do not use magnum primers in my 308, and do use commercial brass.
Peter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Something I should have mentioned: sorting case lots by weight is SOP with .308. Here's some avg weight examples - lots I'm using now. Examples = don't assume my R-P will be the same as yours.

WW 166 gr
RP 170 gr
WRA '61 177 gr
LC '14 181 gr.

Going from WW to the LC '14 I use a 2 gr powder charge reduction. Switching from RP to the WRA '61 I reduce by one grain. These are supported by chrono results, and seem to be what most are saying on the net.

I partial size in a FL die, taking necks to depth of one caliber (.308ish). Found a 22 degree inside chamfer really useful especially with military brass. Am loading 155 SMKs to about 2550 - 2625 fps from the 20" RPR bbl.

As to factory ammo, if a .308 doesn't shoot Federal Gold Medal 168 gr SMK factory to satisfaction......uh-oh. Stuff can be equaled - or maybe very slightly bettered - by fiddling with seating depth with SMKs or equiv.

So yes, Turner, getting a box of this stuff will, if nothing else, give you a clear idea of what you can expect.

Posts: 670 | Location: Dover-Foxcroft, ME | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post