New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best loads for .30 cal
 Login/Join

Picture of Son_of_the_gun
posted
Hey all, I am currently trying to work up a long range load for my 300 WSM. I am using 208 Gr hornady A-max bullets, and have tried 7828 and H4350 powders and am testing my grouping at 50 yards. Supposedly the 300 WSM has the same ballistics as the 300 win mag which I’ve heard is very accurate, but I can’t seem to get my groups at 50 yards any tighter than half an inch. I have played around with seating dearth’s and different powder weights and I think my problem is that I’m just using too fast of a powder. Does anyone have any good long distance loads for this or similar cartridges?
Thanks, Luke.

Posts: 9 | Location: Corvallis, Montana  | Registered: 01 June 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Not sure of CZ, but a lot of European barrels have twist rates of 1 in 11. 208 A Max may not like that.

I had a 1 in 11 Tikka T3 Varmint in 30-06, and the only heavy bullet it would shoot was the Lapua 190 Scenar.

Also had good luck with the Nosler Accubond in 165 or 168 Grain. Was great for F-Class under 700 yards.

See if you can find H-1000.

I just found 2 cans at Cabelas. I am not sure if they just happened to have it, or if it was something they just got in. He told me they had 10 cans of it originally two weeks ago.

So it is being shipped again.

Posts: 7767 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
technically a half inch at 50 yds equates to an inch or less at 100 at least that has pretty much been my take on doing the same, and zero is darn close at 100 with a 50 yard zero...Looks like to me your problem is more imagined than real, and thats a big plus for you!!

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41813 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
You really can't tell much from 50 yard groups. Back up to 100 or better, 200 yards on morning with no wind. My 300WSM model 70 liked Barnes 180 gr TSX with IMR4350.

Posts: 1468 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
What is your trigger pull weight? How are you resting the rifle?

Posts: 1210 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hide Post
You really can't tell much from 50 yard groups. Back up to 100 or better, 200 yards on morning with no wind

quote:
You really can't tell much from 50 yard groups.

50 yards is just a place to make sure the rifles on the paper.

Start getting sub minute groups at 300 your well on the way.

In my best shooting 30 cal rifles I shoot 180gr Sierra match kings

I have rifles that on a regular basis shoot half minute or less at 300

High quality optics, very small aiming points go a long ways to shooting very small groups.

Quartering a 1/8 inch dot well produce smaller groups the quartering a 1 inch dot target dots.

Posts: 19353 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
You might be right about the powder burn rate. What method are you using to develop your load? Have you tried to find a node?

Posts: 10127 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post