New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best loads for .30 cal
 Login/Join

Picture of Son_of_the_gun
posted
Hey all, I am currently trying to work up a long range load for my 300 WSM. I am using 208 Gr hornady A-max bullets, and have tried 7828 and H4350 powders and am testing my grouping at 50 yards. Supposedly the 300 WSM has the same ballistics as the 300 win mag which I’ve heard is very accurate, but I can’t seem to get my groups at 50 yards any tighter than half an inch. I have played around with seating dearth’s and different powder weights and I think my problem is that I’m just using too fast of a powder. Does anyone have any good long distance loads for this or similar cartridges?
Thanks, Luke.

Once you have realized that your shooting hobby is getting too expensive, it’s too late to do anything about it; and why would you want to anyway?

Posts: 9 | Location: Corvallis, Montana  | Registered: 01 June 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not sure of CZ, but a lot of European barrels have twist rates of 1 in 11. 208 A Max may not like that.

I had a 1 in 11 Tikka T3 Varmint in 30-06, and the only heavy bullet it would shoot was the Lapua 190 Scenar.

Also had good luck with the Nosler Accubond in 165 or 168 Grain. Was great for F-Class under 700 yards.

See if you can find H-1000.

I just found 2 cans at Cabelas. I am not sure if they just happened to have it, or if it was something they just got in. He told me they had 10 cans of it originally two weeks ago.

So it is being shipped again.

Posts: 6270 | Location: Southern New Mexico, land of Green Chilie  | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post