New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington 700 Bullpup Chassis
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Still looks promising for a certain niche. I don't see position shooters using it for mid/long range as the required movement to reload would destroy the position. Not useful for across the course ( no rapid reload capability. Having shot a bit of PRS, I don't think most in that venue would like it- even though they aren't locked into position like sling shooters are. F Class? Haven't done that but reloading 22 times still requires breaking everything about a position, even if it on a set of front and back supports.

Tactical use- yeah short is nice, but reload is required...

Hunting, pretty much the same as tactical.

Tyler, just what sport do you see it fitting in well with?

All that said, kudos for the design and production effort, now only if you could work out a reload mechanism to do so from position...

Posts: 1082 | Location: MidWest USA  | Registered: 27 April 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
I think as is, there is a market in the recreational long range shooting market, additionally for the more "modern" hunter, and I've been solicited to give some demos to local law enforcement.

There will be an optional "bolt extension" offered, where a customer can send in their bolt and we will install a non-permanent extension that brings the bolt handle forward to a more conventional spot. This will solve the ergonomic issue some will have with working the bolt. I can reload without breaking position, but I'm also young and thin.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sheep/Mtn Goat hunters...

This would make into a really good backpack rifle.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
http://www.eurooptic.com/dta-covert-300-18-bfm.aspx
How do you like this one?

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Would be real loud, that's for sure. Buddy has a Covert with a 16" 308 barrel. It's nice, and extremely accurate, we've shot it to 900 with great success.

Shooting that Covert, as well as Desert Techs in 260, 300 Win Mag, 338 Lapua, and 375 Cheytac sort of spurred this project for me. The Desert Techs are awesome, but out of my budget, and have a few glaring flaws for me. Notably the weight, and poor adjustment systems. Giant legos for adjusting the LOP on a $7000 rifle confuses me.

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tyler keep doing what you are doing and you will succeed.
Just a thought, What if you use a longer action and have the bolt handle repositioned/welded to the bolt on the most forward possible part of the ejection port, also narrow the welded handle attachment point to provide more leeway in the cycling distance. If you can make it happen... Then add the bolt extension forward to optomize cycling without braking position.

Try a semi auto platform as the Benelli R1, which eliminates the cycling issue.

When you perfect your design make it in titanium, to set yourself apart from others and reduce weight.

Posts: 1015 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
MLF, that much work on the bolt may be a bit more expensive than some consumers want to go, but I suppose it is always an option. We will be able to move it forward quite a bit from the rear without flexing concerns I think.

As far as a lightweight version...that is planned. Further machining, and carbon fiber most likely. Exotic metals could be explored too, will just take a fair amount of sales to raise some capital. Things could move along more quickly had we taken investor money, but I'm proud to say just between my partner and I, two kids out of college we are funding it all ourselves with no debt.

Here is a GA Precision barreled action in my second prototype chassis. It has 31" worth of barrel and brake and is just barely longer than a little short barreled trainer 22.

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Here is a little demo of the trigger unit! I'm ecstatic about how well our linkage and the custom trigger are working:
MKM bullpup trigger

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
And now a full rundown of the chassis, and what improvements and changes will be made in production. The last few minutes are dedicated to showing the trigger more closely, we are at an 8oz pull, and man is it nice Smiler

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwVwZR0ZFms

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Keep up the good work. I could never figure out why there are thousands of bolt action variations that all have a foot of wasted space on the back end, and only a couple short rifles. The DTA is overpriced IMO, so I hope your project succeeds.

One thought: it seems like you're getting quite a few joints/components/materials between the glass and the barrel. So any uneven thermal deformation or change in these parts (like fasteners tension?) could start to affect the zero. Would a bipod also mount on that front tube? So would the weight of the rifle sitting on the bipod flex that tube enough to affect point of impact? Maybe these concerns are unfounded--just thoughts I had looking at your prototype.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Posts: 861 | Registered: 13 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would still suggest a fore arm variation based on 3" square tubing to let it ride the bags 100% with no canting issues.

Other than that, looking pretty fine gentlemen.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
You're right JPL, there are some joints between the glass and barrel. Not too many materials though. Another concern is the flex of the forend as you have mentioned.

In V3 the rail will be modified, so any forend flex does not impact the scope mounted point. In V2 it isn't a concern unless someone is really leaning into the chassis, but I still don't want any POI issues even then.

Rich, what do you think about an octagonal or hexagonal forend? I don't like a square forend look, but realize the need to sit flat. Another option is a "flat" attachment on the MLOK or Keymod rail slot.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A hex would be pretty nice looking. Doing that would allow a simple flat bottom piece to be attached with about three countersunk bolts for accuracy testing and live varmint shooting from a field bench. Simple, and functional, and cost effective.

Yeah, that works. The latest video looks very well done, and informative.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
http://www.gaprecision.net/ga-...-templar-action.html

I think this action in 338 Lapua and a 32" barrel would be quite the combo with your set up.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I like it Tyler. I shoot F class and do a lot of long range coyote/varmint shooting. I'm also left handed so a couple of comments that pertain to those conditions:

Ejecting the brass and single loading rounds are going to be difficult, blind. I like to look at my brass after I eject it so that's going to be tough since you can't see where the brass is landing.

Is there a bolt notch cut in the other side of the chassis that is covered by the cheekrest for us lefties?

As others have mentioned,, I'd like to see more material cut off to lose some weight and slim down the frame around the action area.

I'd also want the flat bottom on the fore arm and any vent holes to be in the sides and top.

What magazines are you going to make the cut and attachments for?

It does look like a great concept though.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12527 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post