Find
Notify
Tools

Remington 700 Bullpup Chassis
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted
Posted this in the medium-bores section, but will be of interest to the long range crowd as well.

I've been working on a drop-in chassis for popular bolt actions, starting with Remington 700 short action. It takes 10" off the length of your gun, and offers a myriad of features. Adjustable length of pull, recoil pad cant and height, and adjustable cheekpiece. Here is my second prototype:

Things that will be changed in this model-

1) more vertical grip, and perhaps move the grip up .5". Right now the LOP can adjust from 13.5-15.5"

2) bolt extension option...send in your bolt, it comes back with my extension installed. Won't be married to a bullpup format, as in it's removable

3) flush cups, and a sling swivel in the forend for a bipod

4) MLOK or keymod slots in the forend (user choice of which version they want)

5) General cleanup and streamlining, radiused hard corners, weight reducing cuts, all bolts flush or nearly so.

I'm open to any and all thoughts, I plan on having a preorder period in number of months, and shooting in competitions around the midwest with it.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
well, that's just neat..

these aren't worth the paper they are written on

• make certain "any" AR grip can be used .. i like the "fat boy" and ergo styles,,,
  • talk about and perfect the trigger - this is going to be the heart of the deal... had a bullpup 50 that the trigger was like a shifter on a 53 nash pickup 3 on the tree ... it worked, about the best i could say for it
  • speaking of trigger, what about safety?
  • triggerguard looks, well, hard, sharp, and small --- big fingers in gloves

• since all the recoil punishment takes place from behind the trigger, suggest radical lightening of there foreward
  • "flat spot" and knurling on forearm -- has to be a flat spot to rest the rifle, with minimum cant

• i don't care for the long range picatinny --too much out there to flex on the forearm and too much weight.. this isn't an entry PDW, its a precision shooter
  • consider a CF/Kelar body with metal load bearing parts-- weight goes down, regidity goes up
  • what's going on with the recoilpad butt "plate" looks upside down in this pic, or there's that second post kind of hanging there
  • radical lightening, i would do it with shape, not honeycombing or cuts ... cuts gather dirt and twigs ...

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38457 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeffe;

Since FYler is a kind of young High Power prodigy, last I know he was an NRA High Master with service rifle and a US Distinguished Rifleman, he probably is looking at the High Power or Precision venues fo rthis application, so weight is not really an issue, but as a prototype, anything could change.

While I am not in the market for a non-traditional target rifle ( I am still slinging bullets from the M1, M1A and AR15A2/4 series at paper from 200 to 1000 yards off my hands), I can see the innovation and novelty of a configuration of this type. I am not quite sure how it would hold in offhand, nor how to run the bolt in rapids, but for LR/PRS with a telescopic sight, I see virtue.

Best wishes Tyler.

Posts: 1082 | Location: MidWest USA  | Registered: 27 April 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Jeffe, totally understand the slight skepticism. I'll try and address them, cause this is a radically new type of chassis/stock and there are a lot of concerns that do need to be addressed:

1) Any AR grip can be used. At most, you gotta cut off the top tang portion to make it flat across the top.

2) The trigger is the heart of the deal. I have it patented, but lets just say very precise machining in the linkage system, with no slop. Timney is making custom trigger units that hook into my linkage.

3) Speaking of safety, notice the black notch in the front of the triggerguard? Flip that forward to turn off the safety. I think it's pretty neat, and really accessible. In production it will likely be ambidextrous.

4) Trigger guard is well larger than a standard AR15, but it can get larger

5) There will be slots on the forend as mentioned to attach things. That could be a bipod, flat section, grippy section, etc. Lots of possibilities for manufacturing there as well

6) What would you rather there be instead of that long rail? It has a lot cut out and weighs about 8oz. It is so long so it can attach to the action for added stiffness. Don't forget, the scope will be towards the end of the chassis for a normal shooter, and often times quite large long range style scopes.

7) I would love to do a carbon fiber version. That can be a different version, at an upcharge. The weight of this chassis is 5lbs with a 10rd AI mag. It will be 4lbs with a bit of weight removed. Not super light, but not heavy.

8) I used a Magpul MOE recoil pad, not really pleased with the profile. But it is right side up. That bar is user replaceable with different shapes. In this instance I'd refer to it as a "bag bar" for resting on a sandbag. Very popular in my type of shooting, but as I said it will be replaceable with different shapes optimized for hunting, competitive shooting, etc.

9) I agree there. The shape can only change so much because of the linkage system, but there will be a fair amount that is slimmed down.

Remember, this is still a prototype, not something I'm ready to sell...but it is getting close!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice pup! tu2

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Damn Tyler!
Look at what you made
Makes me nostalgic for when you just started.
Makes me have hope for the future.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Thanks Boomie Smiler

Here is the chassis next to the stock this barreled action came from:

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
BTW, Did I mention that I think this is a great job -- my comments, meant to be constructive feedback (and I think were taken that way), were because it was requested.

Tyler, keep it up!

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38457 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeffe,

good feedback from a different viewpoint; and I believe Tyler took it as a positive response.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
You can't tell a whole lot in this little video, but the point of it is to show how little friction our trigger linkage adds, about 2oz worth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iylC5HNCbng

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
How about a bullpup Ruger #1?
The action already makes it shorter and add a bullpup design it can be super short. Perhaps in 338 Lapua or 408 Chey-Tac with a 28" barrel would still be super short. That may sell like hot cakes. Just mail me my 10% for the idea Big Grin you could do a boring 308 with an 18" barrel but yeah, that could do quite well. Small package, big boom.

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
You're going to have some big problems loading a Ruger #1 quickly would be my biggest concern, and I'm not sure how people would react to having their face literally over the chamber.

You get a group buy going on and I'll make it happen Wink

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Some want fast reloading but Imho long range does not need quick reloading as much as it requires precision on the first shot. A short long range rig is interesting for sure.

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post

V3 sneak peek Smiler

Lots of streamlining and some weight reduction, it will now accept both left and right handed actions, and the safety is ambidextrous!

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post

Real excited about V3, I believe it may be ready for production. Not pictured are sling swivels, flush cups, and mlok or keymod attachment points on the forend.

Timney has shipped back my V2 chassis with a custom trigger unit, but I keep missing the UPS man when he stops by to drop it off.