THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LONG RANGE SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Long Range Shooting    Any 338-378 weatherby shootets shooters
Page 1 2 

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any 338-378 weatherby shootets shooters
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I HAVE THREE 338-378 weatherby accumarks awesome guns They like nosler 250 partition bullets with reloader 25 powder 109 grs I have tried several bullets these work best in Alaska for moose grizzlies. And caribou.zip want to try nosler 300 great accubonds.This is one of the best factory long range guns foe The money they are awesome"I am going to try reffing dies want some competition dies if I can find some,

Posts: 2531 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
3 Weatherby 338-378 rifles?

Posts: 20076 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I have three 243s made by Savage but they are totally different. One is Model 99, one is a lightweight 22" barreled hunting rifle and the other is a 26" bull barreled long range gun.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12501 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hell yeah!!! But I shoot a .338/378KT. Works for me.

Posts: 1096 | Location: UNITED STATES of AMERTCA | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 340 Weatherby is enough gun for these old shoulders.

Tim

Posts: 592 | Registered: 18 April 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You should be able to order S type dies from Redding.

I have a 338-378 in factory guise and had a wildcat version 20 years ago.

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post
set my gun up for elk

barns sst 225 grain bullet

3150 fps zero at 335 yds for a 10" dinner plate

bpr kind of a thing its 8 inches low at 425 yards

and 35 inches low at 600 yds

Anyway it matters not, because my experience always has been that of---- a loss of snot and enamel on both sides of the 458 Win----

Posts: 1016 | Location: SLC Utah  | Registered: 13 February 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stradling:
set my gun up for elk

barns sst 225 grain bullet

3150 fps zero at 335 yds for a 10" dinner plate

bpr kind of a thing its 8 inches low at 425 yards

and 35 inches low at 600 yds
. An SST is a Hornady bullet, not a Barnes. A TSX or a TTSX would be a Barnes bullet.

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of stradling
posted Hide Post
yes it is a hornady my mind is going out one blink at a time

Anyway it matters not, because my experience always has been that of---- a loss of snot and enamel on both sides of the 458 Win----

Posts: 1016 | Location: SLC Utah  | Registered: 13 February 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted Hide Post
I don't have one, never did. But I do really like the round. Would like to have one on a Ruger Rigby action or a CZ 550 Rigby action.
It would be about the ultimate long range moose and bou rifle with lots of clobber for a brown bear at 20'.

In the mean time I'll settle for a 338/375 Ruger on a stainless Ruger action.

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got an interest in this cartridge for a long range rifle (actually want one in an Accumark too). How do your rifles shoot at longer ranges? What kind of accuracy have you been getting? I also thought about the Accumark RC in .338 Lapua, not sure which route I will finally settle on, though.

I heal fast and don't scar.

Posts: 433 | Location: Monessen, PA | Registered: 23 February 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a guy build a 338/378KT for me on a Ruger #1.
Evidently the twist was wrong since most of the bullets slapped the target sideways....when I could actually contact paper. I tried 3 different bullet weights and none worked. Seems quite odd to me.
I don't own it any more and never used that "gunsmith" again! Ha
There's no reason to not like this cartridge (if you like big guns) providing it shoots well enough in your rifle.

Zeke

Posts: 2269 | Registered: 27 October 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted Hide Post
What bullet weights did you shoot in it?

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I fired 200 Hornady, 250 Partitions and old 300 gr Colorado customs (now Barnes)
Twist, crown, chamber??? I don't know but something was way off on my rifle.
I sold it to a guy for the wood and action and he re-barreled it to something else.
This happened many many many moons ago. I would be more persistent nowadays and I'd find the issue/solution.
Zeke

Posts: 2269 | Registered: 27 October 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dgr416:
I HAVE THREE 338-378 weatherby accumarks awesome guns They like nosler 250 partition bullets with reloader 25 powder 109 grs I have tried several bullets these work best in Alaska for moose grizzlies. And caribou.zip want to try nosler 300 great accubonds.This is one of the best factory long range guns foe The money they are awesome"I am going to try reffing dies want some competition dies if I can find some,

This is my .338-378 Weatherby Accumark. I still have the very first groups I shot with it when I first purchased it back in 1999. Since then I've switched to WC-872 powder, and gone to the Sierra 300 grain Matchkings, and accuracy has improved even more. I absolutely love this rifle.

I think the .338-378 Weatherby has the .338 Lapua beat hands down in most any level of performance. And it doesn't need a one inch thick barrel to perform accurately. Mine is box stock, and I see zero reason to change anything on this rifle, including the trigger. It is simply superb as it came from the box. Weatherby got it right the first time!

Posts: 1540 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post