THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LONG RANGE SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Long Range Shooting    Long Range Shot on Steve's Outdoor Adventures - WTF?

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long Range Shot on Steve's Outdoor Adventures - WTF?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am reloading and have the tube on. Steve's Outdoor Adventures was on. Normally not a bad show, but this was a total truck hunt, culminating with a 798 yard shot in a "25 mph crosswind" (according to him but didn't look like that based on the snow).

You can clearly see the bullet spined him WAY back. If that bullet had been a few inches higher or lower, that bull would have been wounded.

He starts whooping about what a great shot it was, then the guides yell the bull was crawling away. He said "Animals don't suffer on my watch" and shot again (really? Why wasn't he following up right away?). He noted he now "had the correct wind" and put him down with the second shot.

That shot was probably 2 feet right and a foot high. He was lucky as hell, because that was a big miss. You can see they put snow on the far back of the animal to hide the muffed shot.

I will give him credit for at least showing the follow up, but perhaps he wanted to demonstrate his shooting prowess by hitting it a second time.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Shooting an animal at that distance in that wind?

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66766 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
These shows are so pieced togeather.

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Welcome to Hollywood hunting! Pure unsportsmanlike bullshit.

(and by the way: reloading while watching TV???)

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran

Posts: 1043 | Location: Brownstown, Michigan | Registered: 19 April 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Michalski:

(and by the way: reloading while watching TV???)

My reloading room is off my TR; I was listening and came out to watch the shot.

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I struggle with Steve and his show. He is no shape to hunt hard and the show is badly cobbled together. I turn it off every time I see it. Poor view of hunting to the public...

Posts: 10097 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If that bullet had been a few inches higher or lower, that bull would have been wounded.

True with many shots.

Guess one should not shoot at game in the woods as ones bullet might hit a twig.

Guess one should not shoot at running or walking game as one might wound it.

Guess the only way one should hunt is in a box blind with a feeder at a known distance.

With the animal standing perfectly still eating his last meal.

Guess if your really serious about not wounding game one should not shoot at them at all.

Posts: 19317 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:
If that bullet had been a few inches higher or lower, that bull would have been wounded.

True with many shots.

Guess one should not shoot at game in the woods as ones bullet might hit a twig.

Guess one should not shoot at running or walking game as one might wound it.

Guess the only way one should hunt is in a box blind with a feeder at a known distance.

With the animal standing perfectly still eating his last meal.

Guess if your really serious about not wounding game one should not shoot at them at all.

Sorry PD; totally disagree with you. If you are behind the lung/liver, your only chance of a kill is a spine shot or a femoral artery shot. High in the lungs, dead animal. Low in the lungs, dead animal.

Twigs? I have only missed one whitetail in my life. My bullet did hit a 1 inch sapling, but the deer was untouched. It did teach me not to shoot through brush.

Walking or running animals? I generally don't shoot them moving, although I have hit a few coyotes running (missed them running too).

This shot was more like 3 feet back. I can't recall the last time I missed an 800 yard target by three feet, if ever, but I would not have taken that shot. For one thing, a wind that is really 25 miles an hour in the mountains can give you some strange vertical movements, something I have learned shooting in those conditions.

one of us
posted Hide Post
A lot depends how and where you hunt.

As far as the first statement a few inches on a lot of shots could mean a wounded animal.

Up here in the north woods if you don't shoot in the trees and brush you most likely won't be shooting.

Millions of acres of woods and bush very few acres of open in comparison

As far as hitting moving animals it is just a matter of knowing how.

Some people can and others never learn how.

One of the very few animals I did not recover ran across the property line and the owner would not let me recover.

A heart shot of double lunged animal can easily run a 100 yards.

So with that one loss I guess one should shoot at an animal with in a 100 yards of a property line.

I don't recommend any body take a shot they don't feel comfortable with.

But trying tell others what they can and must do creates a divide that is easily used by the anti's.

Posts: 19317 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
A lot depends how and where you hunt.

As far as the first statement a few inches on a lot of shots could mean a wounded animal.

Up here in the north woods if you don't shoot in the trees and brush you most likely won't be shooting.

Millions of acres of woods and bush very few acres of open in comparison

As far as hitting moving animals it is just a matter of knowing how.

Some people can and others never learn how.

One of the very few animals I did not recover ran across the property line and the owner would not let me recover.

A heart shot of double lunged animal can easily run a 100 yards.

So with that one loss I guess one should shoot at an animal with in a 100 yards of a property line.

I don't recommend any body take a shot they don't feel comfortable with.

But trying tell others what they can and must do creates a divide that is easily used by the anti's.

I hunt northern MN ever year; shot two deer this year (party hunting is legal) and shoot at least one every year.

I am not telling anyone what they can and cannot do, just noting the shot Steve hoops and hollers about was a miss that got lucky.

Showing an elk get spined at 800 yards is not something to be used by antis?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I hunt northern MN ever year; shot two deer this year (party hunting is legal) and shoot at least one every year

I believe a shot 6 last year so. Party hunting is legal here also.

Why is showing a any critter spined at 800 yards different then showing a critter spined at 50 yards.

Anti's don't like hunting in fighting among hunters is what give them fuel.

They are more then willing to say see some hunter don't like it so let's ban it.

Saw that with bait and hound bear hunters in Wis. the Anti's almost succeeded getting hound hounding banned.

By getting hunters that use bait to come out against it.

We had a state legislator who was is a rifle only hunter want to ban bow hunting because the buck he shot had a broad head imbedded it its shoulder.

What should be the Max distance one should shoot game at.

Maybe we should talk about banning bird shooting with shotguns the wounding ratio for flying game is huge compared to big game hunting.

I am sure we all want a warden checking our kill sites and issuing a citation to some one because they were a few yards over.

Or adopting mandatory shooting tests.

This infighting and one should hunt only one way is very dangerous.

One of Us
Picture of ismith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
I am reloading and have the tube on. Steve's Outdoor Adventures was on. Normally not a bad show, but this was a total truck hunt, culminating with a 798 yard shot in a "25 mph crosswind" (according to him but didn't look like that based on the snow).

You can clearly see the bullet spined him WAY back. If that bullet had been a few inches higher or lower, that bull would have been wounded.

He starts whooping about what a great shot it was, then the guides yell the bull was crawling away. He said "Animals don't suffer on my watch" and shot again (really? Why wasn't he following up right away?). He noted he now "had the correct wind" and put him down with the second shot.

That shot was probably 2 feet right and a foot high. He was lucky as hell, because that was a big miss. You can see they put snow on the far back of the animal to hide the muffed shot.

I will give him credit for at least showing the follow up, but perhaps he wanted to demonstrate his shooting prowess by hitting it a second time.

Sounds like he's a slob hunter.

What force or guile could not subdue,
Thro' many warlike ages,
Is wrought now by a coward few,
For hireling traitor's wages.

Posts: 249 | Location: Montana | Registered: 17 January 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I support shooting tests. You already have to for some draw hunts. I grew up working for a gun shop and range. Every year the hoards showed up for their annual sight-in and didn't hit shit. That's your average deer Hunter. Your better than average deer Hunter still isn't a long range shooter as I've learned as a career soldier and competitive shooter. Hunting isn't a right and treating it like it is divides us too because you aren't entitled to act like a jackass when it effects me.

Posts: 518 | Registered: 28 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am not a fan of the new "sniperism crowd", IMO its shooting not hunting and I firmly believe shooting at those distances is more likely a wounding situation, but its legal so my opinion is null and void..They made it illegal in Idaho to shoot the 50 caliber BMG for hunting, because they were wounding elk at 2000 yards, blowing legs off etc..All but the shooters agreed on that new law..Just my opine, and my mind is made up! coffee

P dog,
So are we supposed to support something that we disagree on like a bunch of zombies just to keep the antis happy..It will make no difference what we do, they will not stop being antis. Liberals will never stop being liberals. It seems to me your using the same arguments that the antis use, and your falling for the trap they set..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post