Find
Notify
Tools

6mm Creedmoor, anyone?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
Just saw a review of the Ruger Precision Rifle in this new one from Hornady. Lots of the usual hyperbole from the gunwriters, but it does seem to have some usefulness on the target range, even if the .243 works fine in the hunting field.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16368 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Just saw a review of the Ruger Precision Rifle in this new one from Hornady. Lots of the usual hyperbole from the gunwriters, but it does seem to have some usefulness on the target range, even if the .243 works fine in the hunting field.

Bill:

A bunch of us shoot every Friday morning at the Phoenix Rod and Gun Club 500 yard range. One guy has a 6mm Creed RPR and I have to say I am totally impressed. IIRC, he bought it as a 6.5 and bought an aftermarket bbl.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My only issue with 6mm rifles is if you shoot steel matches hits are hard to see at longer ranges if targets are shot up or don't have a flasher. As an RO I always ask what a guy is shooting if I'm on glass.

Posts: 518 | Registered: 28 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
AZ, the older I get the more I appreciate precision without a lot of noise and recoil. That's what makes both the 6 and 6.5 Creedmoors so interesting.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16368 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seems it would be a solid bet for a comp shooter that's helped by lighter recoil, = faster stages.
For most target shooters, I think the 6.5's are a better choice. Shoots as good as most of us can drive them, and without the reduced barrel life like you'd get from a .243

From what I see, the 6 Creed is a .243, and the 6.5 is the same as my .260 Rem. It's marketing...cartridge "du jour".
And Hornady does a good job of it- as well as make some very accurate ammo for the 6.5.
Wouldn't be surprised if they eventually make the 6mm as well.

Posts: 83 | Registered: 19 March 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
BG: I had a Savage Tactical in .260 years ago, and sold it to a new long-range shooter who proceeded to whip my sorry behind with it at the next match. It's a capable cartridge with the misfortune to have been introduced by Remington, which very quickly loses interest in its own children.

hilbily

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
AZ, the older I get the more I appreciate precision without a lot of noise and recoil. That's what makes both the 6 and 6.5 Creedmoors so interesting.

Amen

Posts: 486 | Location: Moving | Registered: 23 September 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2Barrels:
quote:

Amen

For sighters and rounds for score, even the 6.5 is a little more than I want for concentration. Every year I see more old guys like me switching to the Dasher or the BRX

Posts: 81 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Bill,

Quite a lot of interest in the 6mm Creedmoor here in Oz.

I have a 6mm HOT; which is the 6.5X47 Lapua necked to 6mm with a no turn neck.

It gets higher velocities as you can load it harder due to the stronger case head with the small rifle primer pocket.

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Blair, the 6mm HOT looks mighty interesting.

http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek073.html

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have found it to be MORE accurate than the parent case, Bill. tu2

I use N550 and get 3240fps with stellar accuracy with the 87 V-Max from a 26" barrel.

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Built my Grandson a 6X47Lapua 8-9 yrs ago. He shoots 95 grain bullets through it. It is a very accurate deer rifle.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Works beautifully on 'roos too butch. Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The guys winning the PRS series are the driving force behind 6 Creed.

They have tons of data and whatnot...just have to talk to the folks running it and the smiths building their rifles.

The gist is that they don't care about terminal performance. The bullet just has to get there and ring the steel...while having light recoil that allows them to spot their own impacts without losing the target throught he scope during recoil.

Posts: 164 | Registered: 19 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post