THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LONG RANGE SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Long Range Shooting    First round hits at 715 yards in gusting winds 15-20
Page 1 2 

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First round hits at 715 yards in gusting winds 15-20
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am at my CO place where I can take a LR shot by stepping out the door of my reloading room. Always take at least one shot every day.

A few days ago the wind suddenly started blowing 15-20 mph. I decided to take a shot with my Edge. First round hit? Didn't happen. But I will keep trying...

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
AAW,

Do you like the Edge better than .338 Lapua and .338 RUM?

Is it a single shot? Or longer than standard action (to allow seating of longer bullets)?

Considering building one of these also.

Thanks,
Steve

Posts: 1715 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wind is definitely tricky in the mountains. Sometimes I've had better results in a 20mph constant wind compared to a 3mph wind that's switching left/right.

skl1: those rounds are pretty much interchangeable in terms of ballistics. The lapua requires an oversize action and the 338/300 Rum requires handloads.

Posts: 861 | Registered: 13 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jpl:
Wind is definitely tricky in the mountains. Sometimes I've had better results in a 20mph constant wind compared to a 3mph wind that's switching left/right.

skl1: those rounds are pretty much interchangeable in terms of ballistics. The lapua requires an oversize action and the 338/300 Rum requires handloads.

JPL: TOTALLY AGREE! I will take a constant crosswind any day over one that is 3 mph but constantly switching l/r and r/l. That is very tricky.

Skl1: Would have to agree with JPL; they are pretty much interchangable, as is the 28N with 195 Bergers and the 300 RUM shooting 220 and heavier bullets.

My Edge is a bit of handicap because the bullet is seated so far out that if I don't pull the trigger, I have a hard time ejecting it, since the ejector is mechanical (Mod 70). My 28N's don't have this problem since the case is a bit shorter.

Another negative on the Edge is fireforming cases - I hate burning powder just to fireform. I neck up 300 RUM cases, load them, and shoot at 500 yards or less.

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We shoot at 600 and 900 almost every week, when we're not hunting something, and the wind is fun and educational, for sure.
600 has become pretty routine in most any wind but 900 is a whole "nuther" animal.
Speaking of animals, I'll shoot at a target or gong at any range under any conditions but things have to be damn near perfect for me to send the shot beyond 600 on a live animal.
I killed an aoudad on Nov 3rd at 717 with a steady 4 MPH L to R breeze. Never a doubt!

Zeke

Posts: 2269 | Registered: 27 October 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
quote:
Originally posted by jpl:

JPL: TOTALLY AGREE! I will take a constant crosswind any day over one that is 3 mph but constantly switching l/r and r/l. That is very tricky.

Skl1: Would have to agree with JPL; they are pretty much interchangable, as is the 28N with 195 Bergers and the 300 RUM shooting 220 and heavier bullets.

My Edge is a bit of handicap because the bullet is seated so far out that if I don't pull the trigger, I have a hard time ejecting it, since the ejector is mechanical (Mod 70). My 28N's don't have this problem since the case is a bit shorter.

Another negative on the Edge is fireforming cases - I hate burning powder just to fireform. I neck up 300 RUM cases, load them, and shoot at 500 yards or less.

Thanks guys. Have started playing with LR, and hopefully PRS in the near future. And I have a 300 RUM I was thinking of using in current caliber or 338 Edge or 338 RUM, or possibly building a Lapua on a bigger action, for 1 mile shooting. I think I'll just maybe rebarrel to another .300 RUM with a 1:8 twist and try heavier bullets.

Posts: 1715 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't know why, but I'm putting pieces together for a 338 RUM. It will fill a hole in my safe. Guess I'll get my Grandson to shoot it.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Last Saturday I shot an NRA HighPower across the Course match with my service rifle.

It was the first match with a new March 1-4.5 power scope. Service rifle limits you to a 4.5 power scope and if shooting an AR-15 it must be .223 Remington.

The day before I got a half decent 100 yard zero. The day of the match everything went pretty decent at 200 and 300 yards.

I came up 10 1/4 minutes from 300 to 600 like I did with my previous scope, made a windage adjustment based on the mirage and shot an X on my first shot. It is always a great feeling to shoot an X on that first shot. The X-Ring is 6 inches on the 600 yard target. Ended up with a 196-7X at 600.

I am very pleased with March scope at this point.

Posts: 2950 | Registered: 26 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just ordered a March scope from Nez Rongero. I have used them and they are great.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Mine came from one of Nez’s buddies. He bought it from Nez, shot it in one match, could not see the 3/4 minute dot, and took it off the rifle. It is the new service rifle scope with the 3/4 minute dot inside an 8 moa circle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ended up with a 196-7X at 600.

Wow, impressive for an old guy :-)

Posts: 20065 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Especially for a bald headed, blind, old guy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I have spent 9 of the last 12 weeks at my Colorado place, shooting at 715 and 905 several times per day. I must say you can't put price tag on the ability to practice constantly. I shot a .338 Lapua, a .338 Edge, and a 28 Nosler.

One tricky condition is early morning, before the sun is shining. I started out every day taking a shot just before or right after sunrise. Generally calm but in my experience in AZ, the wind most often comes from the east as the sun warms things up. In CO, it is most often calm and hitting within 1/2 MOA of my 2" aiming square was not a problem, except one time I missed a wind that was to the left (from the west); hit 1 MOA left with the first shot, then followed up with a second that hit 1/2 MOA left. I wondered if it was my rifle, so I quickly grabbed my Edge and held the same way - hit right above my first shot.

If I could see mirage and it wasn't washed out, I hit both targets every time within 5" of center. There was one day when the wind was absolutely howling toward me, shifting from 10 to 2 but mostly 11 to 1. First shot I held 2 1/2 MOA left and missed the entire gong at 905. Second shot I held right on and hit 1/2 MOA right. I almost never practiced under that condition in AZ because I felt it was not worth the drive. It seemed that the effect of wind was less than in AZ; ostensibly due to altitude (8750 feet).

It was also interesting that my Sig 2400 ABS properly adjusted for altitude.

I head out tomorrow to shoot at 800 and 1200 in AZ. Hard to swallow driving 45 minutes instead of stepping out of my reloading room to shoot as far as I want.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey John love to see some pics of that country you're in now. Loved that area and killed a small 5X5 bull there many years ago with a recurve not far from your place.

Steve

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am in CO right now! Come on up!

This morning I took a poke at my 910 yard gong. Figured wind was about 2 mph left, so I held on the right edge of my 2.75 inch square. Hit about 3" left. When the wind picked up I wanted to shoot but it was snowing so hard I had to wait. Snowed died a bit but the wind did too; figured a 2 MOA wind hold for the second shot, and called it perfectly.

The ability to shoot anytime you see a condition you want to practice in is priceless. My SIG ABS is perfect at calculating effects of elevation - going back and forth between AZ and CO gives me first round hits every time.