THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LONG RANGE SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Long Range Shooting    First round hits at 715 yards in gusting winds 15-20
Page 1 2 

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First round hits at 715 yards in gusting winds 15-20
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Here is my "long range" fun few days ago:

.177 PCP air rifle, Terrapin X, Kestrel 5700X, JSB Monster Redesigned pellets (G1 BC 0.035) at 880 fps. "Rifle" sighted in at 50 meters. No measurable wind, 4 degrees C, I don't remember density or whatever else.

First shot hit on feral pigeon at 137 meters (150 yards). I know it is no real distance, but 10 mils (34.4 MOA) of elevation adjustment ;-). I hit pigeon high, because of pigeons were on two ranges, 137 and 140 meters (on the roof). And it was 97 vs 102 clicks, so I chose 100 as average and aimed into center of body on the closer one. Then I closed window and undress my pajamas :-)

BTW Hi John,

good to read you are well and enjoying long range shooting. I asked you already, but what you find better. .338 LM or Edge? What about 28 Nosler, isn't that barrel burner?

Jiri

Posts: 2067 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jiri:
Here is my "long range" fun few days ago:

.177 PCP air rifle, Terrapin X, Kestrel 5700X, JSB Monster Redesigned pellets (G1 BC 0.035) at 880 fps. "Rifle" sighted in at 50 meters. No measurable wind, 4 degrees C, I don't remember density or whatever else.

First shot hit on feral pigeon at 137 meters (150 yards). I know it is no real distance, but 10 mils (34.4 MOA) of elevation adjustment ;-). I hit pigeon high, because of pigeons were on two ranges, 137 and 140 meters (on the roof). And it was 97 vs 102 clicks, so I chose 100 as average and aimed into center of body on the closer one. Then I closed window and undress my pajamas :-)

BTW Hi John,

good to read you are well and enjoying long range shooting. I asked you already, but what you find better. .338 LM or Edge? What about 28 Nosler, isn't that barrel burner?

Jiri

Jiri:
Honestly, there is no difference between the Edge or the Lapua. The 28N is said to be a bbl burner, but it is an incredible LR round. I have two done my the same builder, who also makes his own barrels. They both shoot the same identical load into less than 1/2 MOA at 500 yards.

In the wind, all three perform about the same, so it really doesn't matter which one I shoot. Lately been shooting my Edge. I generally take 2-3 shots per day. In the last five days I am 9/10 putting a bullet on my 910 yard in various wind conditions (some of which were brutal). My miss was yesterday when on my first shot I overestimated the wind and hit 8" left of my aiming point. This morning I shot when the wind started to pick up. I held 3/4 MOA and hit 4" high from dead center with perfect windage. I will shoot again later today when the wind picks up. Right now in CO the wind is very blustery in the afternoon and it makes for some tricky shooting at LR.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Thank you John for info.

Posts: 2067 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post