New
Find
Notify
Tools

Building a new LR hog rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Have a close friend that has been shooting hogs at 800yds from his shooting bench. He has a feeder at 800yds from the bench. He wants to back up a little as the 800yd is getting a little to easy. He has been shooting a 300RUM with custom barrel, Jewell, and a McMillan stock. He sold that rifle and I am building him a 300 RUM on a 700 receiver, Shilen trigger, Shilen 8 twist SS barrel, and a McMillan stock. The scope will be the new Swarovski X5 3.5X18 X5. Pictured below is Alan Warner's new solid copper Competition 30 cal. bullets. They are 200grain and have a G1 of 780 at 3100FPS. We may go to 3200FPS as it like Accubonds at that speed.

They are about 1.9" in total length. Alan should be able to ship bullets by the end of the month. I need to chamber the barrel and throat it, but Kim sent his bolt off for fluting and I will need that. McMillan had the stock in stock and we have it in hand.
I will post pictures in a month or so.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
@ loaded rounds. The one on the right is the 210 Accubond and on the left the 200 grain Alan Warner bullet.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch:
You should run that pill out of the brass till there is a bit of the full 308 diameter to pick up the free bore.
Alan

Posts: 50 | Registered: 18 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alan,
I think Kim seated it to the crimp groove?? in the bullet. I'll check it. Thanks