THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LONG RANGE SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Long Range Shooting    out of the box long range hunting rifles
Page 1 2 

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

out of the box long range hunting rifles
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I`m going to be buying a new rifle for long range hunting and target shooting and was wondering your opinions on what the most accurate out of the box rifle is under1200 bucks

God loves you

Posts: 107 | Location: sumner, wa | Registered: 18 June 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
I have not really kept up on modern factory rifles much, but I have heard nothing but good reports on the Savage bolt guns and the Remington Sendero's have always had a good reputation.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2265 | Location: Houston, TX. | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://forums.accuratereloadin...1022351/m/8841050781

Check the picture of a 3 shot group at 600 yards with an out of the box Browning X Bolt. I might also add that the ammo I used was no the best for long range shooting.

Posts: 11945 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That an impressive group Larry thanks for the input

God loves you

Posts: 107 | Location: sumner, wa | Registered: 18 June 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
With any off the shelf brand under 1200.00, accuracy can be hit or miss. I know many swear that savage makes the most accurate but i have seen many savage rifles that dont shoot well. if you want to stay under 1200 here is what I would do.

• Buy a cheep used savage (non accutrigger)
  • Rework the trigger and replace the trigger spring
  • Buy a new stock
  • Shoot the gun and see how it groups
  • If it shoots fine, go with it.
  • If it doesn't shoot how you want it, buy a pre-fit brux barrel. It will shoot fine after that Big Grin

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson
  •  
    Posts: 1085 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    One of Us
    Picture of ragsxd
    posted Hide Post
    savage,get a good stock,bed it,a good scope and some ammo.good to go

Posts: 53 | Location: oklahoma | Registered: 29 December 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    One of Us
    Picture of Tyler Kemp
    posted Hide Post
    Savage LRP!

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    Another vote for Savage.

I bought a 112 Savage VLP in 25-06 and put a 6-284 shilen barrel on that will shoot 1/2 in groups at 200 yards no problem with 105 bergers.

I think that combo cost me a little less than $1000.

Posts: 617 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 01 February 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    One of Us
    Picture of jimatcat
    posted Hide Post
    Savage long range hunter... ive got a .338 lapua and a vortex viper scope... at 200 ( longest range I can shoot at my range) its a 1 hole gun... with hornady 285gr hp's..

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
    NRA--Life member
    DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2826 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    One of Us
    Picture of mdvjrp93
    posted Hide Post
    I shoot a sendro in 7mm rum I can cover a 3 shot group with the base of a caseing.

1 shot 1 thrill

Posts: 340 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 14 December 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    one of us
    posted Hide Post
    I've been a Sendero and Laredo fan for a long time, mostly with good reason.

Posts: 244 | Location: Kansas City, Kansas | Registered: 16 September 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    The Remington 5R 308s shoot very well. Senderos surely should be considered. I'm sure not all will agree but I have had excellent results with Weatherby Accumarks.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    Scott Null up in Idaho can take a bone stock Savage and transform it into a long range wonder.

IMHO a great deal of trigger time in field conditions, on non living targets is a must before ever considering shooting at big game over 300 yards.

Just seen too many bad outcomes from folks who are sold the idea that technology can replace the traditional skills of the hunter. "you can never get to close".

Posts: 92 | Registered: 21 April 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    Sendero in 300 RUM.

Posts: 689 | Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA | Registered: 17 January 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    One of Us
    Picture of Safari James
    posted Hide Post
    Sendero in 300 RUM or 5R in 300 WinMag. I have both and they shoot lights out right out of the box as long as you mate them with with the right ammo. I do tend to over scope my rifles. As the old saying goes... you can't hit what you can't see and at long range this rings very true.

Safari James
    USMC
    DRSS

Posts: 369 | Location: Texas | Registered: 16 August 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post