New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help on a range finder
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Never used one in my lifetime and that's many years for sure..

I mostly have used low power fixed scopes but have a lifetime of big game hunting behind me..

I will probably never take a shot beyond 400 yards, but would like a range finder that will work up to about 600 yards..Talked to the salesman at Sportsman Whse and he told me one that is good for 600 yards has to be a 1200 as all of them are good at half the listed range?? That seems odd, in fact, criminal and deceptive.

My question is what is a good range finder at a reasonable price that is good for a 400 yard shooter probably shooting a 3X Leupold or at best a 2x7x28 Leupold..Id like to give one a try.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are well worth it and will not hunt without it given a choice. The original units were bulky, flimsy, inconsistent in accuracy with sub par optics.
When Leica came out with their version the LRF800 later the LRF1200 I was a convert. The optics was excellent it has a 7x monocular viewing which gave a good wide field of view compared to the higher powered units. It was compact and weather proof with a price around $300. Eventually all the companies caught up in all aspects and the units have become boringly accurate, lighter, smaller but at double the price. If it were me I would find a used one at half the price.
As per your example it will let you know how much farther you need to stalk to be in your comfortable shooting range, whether you are there already and it will compensate for serious elevation shots.
One aspect I use is to find my downed game. It is frustrating locating the animal after the shot at times. So I got into the habit of ranging the animal or the nearest reference spot from my vantage point and I will shoot a compass heading. I will mark my shooting spot or flag it with marking tape. When I walk to where I think the animal should be I will range the marked spot. It will tell me whether I need to get closer or farther away until I have the exact distance. Then I will shoot a compass back azimuth to the desired direction and I should be on.

Posts: 1015 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of JabaliHunter
posted Hide Post
I can highly recommend the Leica CRF 1000-R

Posts: 712 | Location: England | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Recomend Leica also.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leica Geovid binoculars are IMO the very best way to go .

DRSS Chapuis 9.3 x 74 R
RSM. 416 Rigby
RSM 375 H&H

Posts: 1293 | Location: Catskill Mountains N.Y. | Registered: 13 September 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quite happy with vortex, alot less expensive than swaro or leica. Prob nkt as good, but does all I ask of it. For me a red LED was critical for the last or first light opportunit

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's another happy Vortex user.

Posts: 807 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
+1 for a Leica Rangefinder.

I am a die hard Swarovski fan, but I found the Swarovski rangefinder a bit cumbersome. The Leica is an elegant alternative.

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mlfguns:
They are well worth it and will not hunt without it given a choice. The original units were bulky, flimsy, inconsistent in accuracy with sub par optics.
When Leica came out with their version the LRF800 later the LRF1200 I was a convert. The optics was excellent it has a 7x monocular viewing which gave a good wide field of view compared to the higher powered units. It was compact and weather proof with a price around $300. Eventually all the companies caught up in all aspects and the units have become boringly accurate, lighter, smaller but at double the price. If it were me I would find a used one at half the price.
As per your example it will let you know how much farther you need to stalk to be in your comfortable shooting range, whether you are there already and it will compensate for serious elevation shots.
One aspect I use is to find my downed game. It is frustrating locating the animal after the shot at times. So I got into the habit of ranging the animal or the nearest reference spot from my vantage point and I will shoot a compass heading. I will mark my shooting spot or flag it with marking tape. When I walk to where I think the animal should be I will range the marked spot. It will tell me whether I need to get closer or farther away until I have the exact distance. Then I will shoot a compass back azimuth to the desired direction and I should be on.

The original Geovid was the very first rangefinder and was extremely accurate and ranged to 1500m, its advertised effective range. Bulky, yes, but very accurate. It was the ones that followed that were not quite up to snuff.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JabaliHunter:
I can highly recommend the Leica CRF 1000-R

+1

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Leica is the only on I've used that actually comes close (actually exceeds) the rating. My 1600 yarder is good for 1800+ and the 1200 yard model (older one) reliably goes to 1100 or so in the clearer mountain air out west. Here in the midwest it's good for 900+ on the typical summer day (the 1200 yard model). The 1600 yards model I'm not sure on as I don't have many places to even see farther than 1000 w/ our hills and trees.

I'd highly recommend the Leica also.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1169 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually if you want to go top shelf go the Leica HD-B range finding binoculars..Superb!

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm in about the same position that you are Ray with about the same needs. It was suggested that I get a used Leica LRF 1200. Which I did on e-bay for $335.00 + $12.00 shipping. I haven't had a chance to hunt with it yet but so far just testing on fire plugs around the neighborhood I'm well pleased. I bought a Bushnell Yardage Pro 800 when they first came out and would not suggest a Bushnell to anyone. I plan on mostly using mine to range PD mounds but will take it on my annual elk hunt also.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like my bushnell 1600 had it a few years now works well

Posts: 19364 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Never used one in my lifetime and that's many years for sure..

I mostly have used low power fixed scopes but have a lifetime of big game hunting behind me..

I will probably never take a shot beyond 400 yards, but would like a range finder that will work up to about 600 yards..Talked to the salesman at Sportsman Whse and he told me one that is good for 600 yards has to be a 1200 as all of them are good at half the listed range?? That seems odd, in fact, criminal and deceptive.

My question is what is a good range finder at a reasonable price that is good for a 400 yard shooter probably shooting a 3X Leupold or at best a 2x7x28 Leupold..Id like to give one a try.

The rated range is in good conditions and reflective targets. They all lose distance in bright sunlight, especialy in the desert areas with a lot of sun reflection.

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post