New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5 Creed
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
On my drive home from the Mammoth Sniper Challenge I picked up my 6.5 Creed barreled action. It's a Rem 700 that was fluted and knob installed by Adams Custom Rifles. The barrel is a Krieger Med Palma crowned at 26" plus Harrell's break. I used a Manson reamer, at the recommendation of Dave Tooley, with a .170 freebore. When I got it home I cleaned the barrel, installed the Seekins base, then installed and adjusted the Calvin Elite before pulling the gun that shot Mammoth out of the T6A and dropping this sucker in:

Posts: 518 | Registered: 28 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
That thing looks surgical. Very nice build.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16368 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We finally had a dry week here so a buddy and I headed to the range to work pistols for a gunfighter league match in a couple weeks. I dragged the Creed along in case the LGS had ammo since I haven't had time to load any. I bought one box of Hornady 120gn A-MAX and one box of Winchester Match 140gn. Hornady shot like garbage (1.5 MoA every group, 5 shots, 3 groups) but allowed me to get a rough zero since I swapped the scope over from my .308 Win. I shot one group at 300yds to get a feel for wind and it was the best group (fluke?) for the 120gn at .8MoA :

Had a bit of breeze: avg of 11.8mph, gusts to 17.2mph, .5 value

Worked left to right when I swapped to Winchester and after the first group it settled down pretty good. My buddy wanted to shoot it and called the round out of group on the far right when he broke his 3rd shot:

I'm liking it so far. Recoil is like a .223

One of Us
Picture of Bwana_500
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the report. What scope are you running - a Bushnell maybe? What bullet does Win use for their match ammo since they dont make a suitable projectile themselves (at least as far as I know)?

Posts: 425 | Location: Australia | Registered: 03 September 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
nice looking set up

Posts: 3617 | Location: Verdi Nevada | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana_500:
Thanks for the report. What scope are you running - a Bushnell maybe? What bullet does Win use for their match ammo since they dont make a suitable projectile themselves (at least as far as I know)?

Yes, that is a Bushnell HDMR. I have no idea what bullet that is. I just bought it to clean up the leade and get a rough zero. I've got 200 cases right now and a ton of 123gn SMK to load. After that I may go to the 130gn Berger.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
After months of mailing dies back and forth to Whidden I finally asked for a refund and bought some Redding. Redding and Forster are my usual die choices. Anyway that fixed my ammo issue. Twenty-seven rounds start to finish resulted in good precision, 2756fps at muzzle with SD of 5fps.
100yds

815yds

First match with this barrel is in two weeks.