New
Find
Notify
Tools

Simple question 300 M
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Assuming I'm shooting a 180 Spire Point bullet at 2900 fps, how many inches above point of aim at 100 M should I be zeroed for a 300 Meter zero?

3- 4 " I'd guess ?

Thanks

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nosler and Hornady say 4"

Posts: 129 | Location: west MN | Registered: 22 September 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
OK< thanks

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rglenz:

Makes you kind of high at 200 yards...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14332 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TomP:
quote:

But he wants a 300 yard zero.

You well be high at 200.

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:
Originally posted by TomP:
quote:

But he wants a 300 yard zero.

You well be high at 200.

He actually wants a 300 METER zero so he needs to impact 3.7" high at 100.
...and I agree, he'll be way high mid-range (4.8" @ 200) but he didn't ask that. *** I'm learning to only answer the questions asked rather than add to the discussion.... BUT I JUST CAN'T HELP MYSELF! LOL

You all have a great day,
Zeke

Posts: 2269 | Registered: 27 October 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive used 3"s for all my life, thats 4 inches high at 200 and on point at 250 to 275 yards. I strongly recommend this..

At 4 inches high at 100 I seem to shoot 6 to 8 inches high at 200 yards and shoot over the targets back mostly deer and not so much elk..the main thing is consistence is a must and to be imprinted into the gray matter..

The biggest mistake with many many hunters is they sight in at x number of yards and accept that as zero...Im firm on testing your sight in at 100, 200, 300 and 400 yards before you hunt, mark it on the stock on a sticker or whatever if need be..Your skill/kill numbers will improve vastly..Every gun is a inity unto itself so check it out.

Personally I like 3" high at 100, thats 4" high at 200, and zero is 250 to 275 and less than 5 inches low at 300 depending on caliber and the gun inn question if I miss, and not often but you can bet I overshoot the target because I don't use a range finder..

If I had to have a POI of 300 yards, I would sight in 3.5" high at 100 and then test my poi at 300 to make further adjustment..The bench is the only answer to your question, the rest is guess and by gosh!! guns vary.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know you well enough to know you know the answer to your quewtion, you been there and back too many times you rascal!! rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Having attended the SAAM school at FTW Ranch, they recommend a zero at 250 yds as that will be in the "kill zone" for any animal, deer size and up, out to 400 yards. I use that on my .300WM, .280 Rem and 7mm RM. Works for me.

I would shoot a .3006 the same way if I had one.

Posts: 10095 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
Having attended the SAAM school at FTW Ranch, they recommend a zero at 250 yds as that will be in the "kill zone" for any animal, deer size and up, out to 400 yards. I use that on my .300WM, .280 Rem and 7mm RM. Works for me.

I would shoot a .3006 the same way if I had one.

At a 250 yard zero, it'll put you about 10-12" below LOS at 400.
Me thinks that's out of the kill zone unless a guy employs a little hold-over!
Yes, give or take the 250 zero distance is about how I sight in my rifles but I don't count on PBR kills to 400!

Zeke

Posts: 2269 | Registered: 27 October 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it was in the 40's that Jack O'Connor wrote an article in Outdoor Life about zeroing scopes. Weaver liked the article that for several years they included a reprint of the article along with their scope. Jack said for the most part sight in at 25 yards which puts you a little high at 100 and back on 200 or so so basically good point blank about 250.

Posts: 3797 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jack got me on paper at 14 yds with irons with my 30-30 and 25-35 and dead on paper at 3" high at 100 yards, then moved to 3" high at 100. and 4" low at 200 and 13" low at 300..

With the 30-06/270 etc, I was 3" high at 100, 4" high at 200, on at 250 to 275 depending on load most big game calibers. at 400 I hold top of back, He taught me that and its never changed..His short range starting yardage was to save ammo when sighting in by getting you on target to start with..He was the best game shot I ever saw with a rifle off hand..I knew him personally..

I had to reconstruct this post as I re-read it today and it even confused me!! Were good to go now.. 400 is doable with the 06 and magnum case calibers, but things get difficult for a hunter beyond that, 500 tis long ways off and mother luch gets involved..Long range hunters are a different breed and can hit at extreme and if they miss they hit legs has been my opinnion after seeing them shoot, enough so that I aways took my dog along for the recovery..Only a few were capable..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
You can play with all sorts of combos with this, http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmtraj-5.1.cgi

Posts: 1468 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only way to be sure is shoot said gun at 100 to 400 yards with a hunting rifle. I have the Owyhee desert behind my house so I can test for up to a mile or more should I want to play..I set up my portable bench in my horse trailer and shoot from inside, comfortable, but be careful where you step!! rotflmo I am a dyed in the wool 3" high at 100 is my starting point, and my memory is set there and has been for many years and thats important no matter how you sight it. My only difficulty if you can call it that is ready wind in a hunting situation, its a by gosh moment..

actually it a good time to shovel and sweep the trailer out.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120