THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LONG RANGE SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Long Range Shooting    Bi-pod and Defiance/Templar action

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bi-pod and Defiance/Templar action
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Russian
posted
Gentlemen,
Do you know any alternative to Harris bi-pods?
And the second question:
Any experience with Defiance/Templar action? Trying to configure light weight walking rifle for long range shots in NZ. Different shooting positions, 7 mm RemMag, synthetic stock.

Never buy your gun from "Hendersot's sporting goods inc."

Posts: 70 | Location: London UK | Registered: 07 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot the Atlas on personal guns and the Harris on my work guns. I prefer the Atlas.

Posts: 518 | Registered: 28 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted Hide Post
7mm,

Please tell me what is the difference between the two bi pods.

I can buy Harris in South Africa but will have to import an Atlas.

I have seen on a lot of forums that guys preffer the Atlas.

Thanks,

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Russian
posted Hide Post
Atlas looks like "too many levers". How you deal with that?

Posts: 70 | Location: London UK | Registered: 07 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use an atlas. It has just enough play that if I load it forward it will rock back with recoil then return and I can spot the impact. Some of the others will drag the feet with recoil and usually sink deeper. The atlas legs are not infinitely adjustable, but the mount pivots so I can get the length I want close then just tilt the rifle so it's level. It's not as quick to use as some. I've seen people put a cord on the two legs of a harris so they can pull the cord and flip down both legs quickly. For long range I think the atlas is good. It can handle a heavy rifle, and for long range the extra setup/adjustment time is not usually a problem because you already have to figure wind, drop, consider the terrain, etc.

A good set of shooting sticks might be about the same weight and prove more useful. Some are collapsible, and the top short part can be used prone.

There are a few titanium actions available now, and one of those would save some weight.

Posts: 861 | Registered: 13 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Russian
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Really helpful

One of Us
posted Hide Post
And Russian, check your point of impact with the bi-pod compared to any zero shot off bags on a bench rest.

Bigger calibres such as 7mm Magnum will have significant POI changes, especially with a fibreglass stock. Laminate stocks tend to be more forgiving, but are heavier.

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Russian
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blair 338RUM:
And Russian, check your point of impact with the bi-pod compared to any zero shot off bags on a bench rest.

Bigger calibres such as 7mm Magnum will have significant POI changes, especially with a fibreglass stock. Laminate stocks tend to be more forgiving, but are heavier.

I fully agree. Also, I don't want to use Remington action on the rifle. What do you think about Saco action or Defiance/Templar action? Defiance is also Remington but I heard it is a modified one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm going to try a Defiance Tactical action for my next PRS rifle. Right now I use Remington and Pierce actions.

I like the Atlas because it is more versatile and the legs will never accidentally spring on me like a Harris. I can't tell you how many times I have had a Harris get bumped and the leg springs out an extra notch. The Atlas collets prevent that.

I also like that I can tension the pan/tilt without a lever. I also, as stated above, find I recover better with an Atlas than a Harris.

That Atlas is also modular and can be adapted for length and feet applications. Instead of owning several Harris bipods one could own one Atlas with parts to modify it if one needed. I don't do that, I just shoot it as is and if I need more height I shoot from a tripod.

That said I have shot Harris for about 8 years in combat and competition and they work just fine. If it's what is given to me I'm fine with them but if I'm paying I'll buy Atlas.

Posts: 518 | Registered: 28 November 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Russian
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Atlas then. On action I couldn't find good advise. Thinking between Saco and Defiance.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russian:
quote:
Originally posted by Blair 338RUM:

I fully agree. Also, I don't want to use Remington action on the rifle. What do you think about Saco action or Defiance/Templar action? Defiance is also Remington but I heard it is a modified one.

I'd go with Defiance.

My gunsmith has done a few builds on them, says they are the best of the bunch. By FAR.

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Russian
posted Hide Post
Thanks. How defiance different from the straight out of the box remington?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tolerances are much, much tighter. Primary extraction is fantastic compared to a Remington. Integral recoil lug, Sako extractor and just the overall finish, which is great.

One of Us
Picture of Russian
posted Hide Post
I'll go for it then

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You will not be sorry.