Notify
Tools

2.4 mile shot
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
a 9 minute video about a guy who makes a hit at 4200 yds
https://www.gunsamerica.com/bl...ot-target-2-5-miles/

Posts: 13440 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Must have used a Blaser :-)

Posts: 20082 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Must have used a Blaser :-)

Biebs I think nearly all your shots are 2.4 mile shots. When you miss by a mile the bullet has to find a rest somewhere dancing

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Or, in your case, all 30 in the magazine :-)

Posts: 20082 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
OK Confused
So they hit it after how many shoots?? While I sure haven't shot at 2.4 Miles nor will I ever. But based on that I'm not sure I wouldn't call it more luck that anything else.

Just me

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul, I looked at it as pretty much a gimmick, too. But then again, I have never tried to shoot at anything that far away.

I remember back when the first 1K shot was made, and all the hubbub made about it...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
I think people have been shooting 1000 yards for ages? Much more consistently now...but there were some blackpowder guys shooting even further.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think people have been shooting 1000 yards for ages? Much more consistently now...but there were some blackpowder guys shooting even further.

Tyler
1000yds was pretty much unheard of back when I was your age. I always thought I was doing fantastic at the 5-600yds ranges. Wink

Too me when a 1000yd shooter hits the target every time for a nice group that is precision shooting. (I sure don't have the eyes anymore and probably never the skill.) Or the sniper calculates and makes that one shot kill at extended ranges likewise precision. But when you shoot a number of times and really don't even walk the hits to the target I don't call that precision. Shoot enough times you will hit it. Now a next shoot repeat that would mean something to me.

Just my "opinion"

Enjoy your long range shooting and good luck with the new business. Where did you guys set up? Thought of you when I drove through on 54 going to Grafs and Mexico the other day.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doc Beech of Applied Ballistics came over Sunday and we visited for about 3 1/2hours. Bryan Litz is the principal of the company. They do a series of 2 mile shoots. I believe Doc said they start out at short range "600yds" and progress in stages to the 2 mile shoot. To qualify for the 2 mile shoot you have to be consistent leading up to it or you are disqualified.
I think the one posted above was guy or guys shooting a lot of ammo and keeping the film of the good shot.
Ain't my bag, I'm on about a 400yd limit when hunting. This is with good wind conditions.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike Venturino duplicated the Billy Dixon shot several times at the Yuma Proving Grounds many moons ago. 50-90 with black powder and a (iirc) paper patched cast bullet.

If you can afford the equipment and time required for practice, you can get pretty good even past a mile.

Ask Doc if he would be willing to get me a couple of those 400gr solids that won the Ko2M match...?

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
Mike Venturino duplicated the Billy Dixon shot several times at the Yuma Proving Grounds many moons ago. 50-90 with black powder and a (iirc) paper patched cast bullet.

If you can afford the equipment and time required for practice, you can get pretty good even past a mile.

Ask Doc if he would be willing to get me a couple of those 400gr solids that won the Ko2M match...?

I'll ask him Rich.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seriously Butch, I would appreciate that more than you know. Even one.

thanks,

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
Picture of LongDistanceOperator
posted Hide Post
You gonna go with CheyTac or larger case?

I got a few 585 Hubel Express empty cases. If you want to check it out, let me know.

Posts: 7476 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
Seriously Butch, I would appreciate that more than you know. Even one.

thanks,

Rich

From Doc:

I wouldn’t expect those bullets to be available outside of AB for a while. None even exist right now.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I watched the video and I don't get it.

As for the 2 mile shoot, or any long range shot for that matter, getting to shoot at targets close in is a big advantage in terms of the wind. In other words, a first shot of the day hit 2 miles (or 2 kilos) is a lot harder to do than your first at 2K having hit at 1500.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post