Find
Notify
Tools

Amax 7mm for hunting
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of mdvjrp93
posted Hide Post
I use a 162 gr SST in my 7mm ru. It is accurate and no problem with it opening.

1 shot 1 thrill

Posts: 340 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 14 December 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sevenmil:
SmilerThanks guys - do you guys know if Nosler make 160gn ballistic tip bullets? The distributors here in Aus only have 150gn ballistic tip.I use 125gn ballistic tips in my 308 and they outstanding on game and very accurate. I am looking for the same type of explosive effect for the seven mil in a heavier 160gn bullet as my gun (sendero) likes 160gn projectiles.
What are Accubonds in 160gn like on medium game?

SEVENMIL
The 162 AMax works mate! Animals DO NOT walk away fromn them unless theyre clean missed or hit in the wrong place.
Dont give up on them theyre a proven killing projectile here in NZ, so much so the wholesaler cannot keep up with demands.
However IF you decide that you would like to try another bullet Nosler do make a 160 Accubond, BUT you will need do drive these even faster than the Amax to get them to open up unless you drive them through bone.
I have a 160 NAB for my hunting 284 they group fantastic but I have never shot one at an animal, because the 162 AMax IS THE BULLET!

Do me a favour, try them out again, I dont belive you that they didnt work Big Grin

RUNAS

War is inevitable, if idiots are in charge of countries

Posts: 162 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 15 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks RUNAS- perhaps I'll persevere with the Amax. I was pretty sure I hit my two targets properly, but then again maybe they were just plain misses...... Smiler

Posts: 72 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 23 August 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As to the original question, I've had great results with the Amax on deer.

Posts: 26 | Registered: 18 April 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use .243 105amax on roe-deer (10 more or less until now), penetrate and expand very well from 100 to 400 meters.

Posts: 22 | Location: Italy | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cool Well it is has been a while but I have done more field testing the with 7mm Rem Mag with 162 Amaxs and I have to agree now - they are great!

Took 2 feral goats- first one was hit front on in the chest and simply collapsed and the second one had an exit hole the size of tennis ball with a huge amount of organ damage.

They work!

I am thinking of trying some Berger VLDs in my 308 Rem MAK Tube gun as it doesn't love Amaxs. Anyone had good experiences with 308 168gn VLD hunting bullets?

Posts: 72 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 23 August 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey sevenmil, excellent news.

I got this huge boy just before Christmas, I dont like shooting Stags in velvet but it was a pest control job, this guy and his hinds were devestating crops,so they had to go.
I did give the farmer credit, they put up high electric fences to try and keep them out but they eventually got through, shooting them was the last resort for him.
Not long way but testimony to how good Amaxes really are at killing, 286 yards.

I have more pics too did a hunting trip to New Caledonia last year and yep you beat ya a 284 WIN spitting out 162 AMaxes came with,4 shots 4 Rusa Stags, longest one 360 yards closest 200 all boom flops!

RUNAS

War is inevitable, if idiots are in charge of countries

Posts: 162 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 15 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Isnt an Amax basicaly just a sst with an uber high BC?

Posts: 10126 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wink Nice one RUNAS. I agree completely... I have even started using 155gn Amax's in a new Rem 700/MAK tube gun in 308. Still experimenting with loads, but it already shoots 0.5" at 100m with the Amax's. Just before Xmas I took her hunting to field test her on feral goats - you guessed it. One shot, two steps and down. I recon you are right, they are basically Hornady's version of Nosler's balistic tip...

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wstrnhuntr:
Isnt an Amax basicaly just a sst with an uber high BC?

In the smaller calibers (.224), add higher pressures than the Nosler Ballistic Tip.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

Posts: 2389 | Registered: 19 July 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The deer I have shot with A-Max died quickly. 6.5x55 at 2575 fps. Has been outstanding. No way I would hunt with that round pushing a lot of speed or on anything other than deer.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi all - been a while, but since I last spoke I have been using the Amax in 308 (155gn), very accurate, but again mixed results on game.

Close shots I had complete pass throughs and at distance, I am still taking 2 to 3 shots to put down game with well place shots. NOT GOOD !!

I have since gone back to Nosler B/Ts and funnily enough, all game goes down with one shot. I have now stopped using Amaxes as they are simply not consistent - I am sticking with Nosler B/Ts