New
Find
Notify
Tools

Amax 7mm for hunting
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why do people insist on using target bullets for hunting when there are so many great bullets that are MADE for hunting? This does not make good sense to me in any form unless you are shooting varmints???

Posts: 224 | Location: North Platte, Nebraska | Registered: 02 February 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brice:
Three years ago I was preparing for a Marco Polo hunt in Kyrgyzstan, with my M700 7mm Rem Mag. Lilja barrel and many other modifications. I found the Amax to be the most accurate bullet, doing about .5" groups at 100 yds. At that time, Hornady did not provide any labeling or other notice that this was not a hunting bullet. I shot my ram at 140 yards after preparing and training out to 500. The shot was perfect and the ram hauled ass. We searched for hours, and only found him by dumb luck. So, if you are willing to risk a $30,000
shot on this bullet, be my guest. The wound looked like a pencil had been shoved through the animal.

After returning, I called Hornady and raised bloody hell. I mentioned that Sierra is very careful to note and label their bullets as to purpose. Hornaday didn't seem to care much.

Brice:

Similar to comments I have made: many guides today will end you hunt if you draw blood. How many long range shooters are willing to risk a 1000 yard shot knowing their hunt will end if they miss the vitals?

One thing to shoot feral goats or antelope; another thing to put up truckloads of cash on a hunt that is over when you draw blood.

I consider the risk of not making that 1000 yard shot due to the fact my bullet may not be accurate enough against the odds of losing an animal due to bullet failure...pretty easy math.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Three years ago I was preparing for a Marco Polo hunt in Kyrgyzstan, with my M700 7mm Rem Mag. Lilja barrel and many other modifications. I found the Amax to be the most accurate bullet, doing about .5" groups at 100 yds. At that time, Hornady did not provide any labeling or other notice that this was not a hunting bullet. I shot my ram at 140 yards after preparing and training out to 500. The shot was perfect and the ram hauled ass. We searched for hours, and only found him by dumb luck. So, if you are willing to risk a $30,000
shot on this bullet, be my guest. The wound looked like a pencil had been shoved through the animal.

After returning, I called Hornady and raised bloody hell. I mentioned that Sierra is very careful to note and label their bullets as to purpose. Hornaday didn't seem to care much.

Look in the front of your loading manual. It lists the suitability of certain Hornady bullets. I shoot 140 grain A-Max bullets at deer and groundhogs out of a 6.5x55. Never seen one not open upon impact. The manual states the 178 AMax is allright for targets, varmints and medium game from 2.3k to 3.3k fps.
I have never shot a Marco Polo ram, but I would think that might be a step above medium games as contemplated by American bullet manufacturers. I don't think the blame should really lie with Hornady. I don't know what constitues as perfect shot as stated in your post, so I don't know where you hit the animal. Had you shot any other animals with an AMax?

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The POI was just behind the shoulder, through both lungs. The exit wound was about the same size as the entry, and there was no blood trail in the snow. The cheapest, crappiest cup and core bullet would have performed far better. Yes, I guess I didn't read the entire Hornady manual, but I still maintain that a bullet manufacturer has an obligation to describe the purposes of their products where reloaders are likely to see them.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
The POI was just behind the shoulder, through both lungs. The exit wound was about the same size as the entry, and there was no blood trail in the snow. The cheapest, crappiest cup and core bullet would have performed far better. Yes, I guess I didn't read the entire Hornady manual, but I still maintain that a bullet manufacturer has an obligation to describe the purposes of their products where reloaders are likely to see them.

Agreed. Glad you recovered your ram. On a side note, many years ago, a fellow borrowed my 270 to kill his mule deer. The bullet: 130 TSX. Entry and exit holes through the lungs. I'd say the exit was maybe 30 cal in appearance, maybe bigger. Blood poured from it like a flood gate, however. When he gutted the buck, we took a close look at the lungs and both had perfect holes cut through them as though someone used a round cookie cutter somewhere b/w the size of a golf ball and tennis ball.

When you recovered your ram, what was the internal damage like?

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

Posts: 7906 | Registered: 05 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ghubert:
quote:
Originally posted by sevenmil:
Smilerok, one more question for the forum. My new pet load is 58gr ADI 2213SC with the 162gr Amax in 7mm rem mag. As I am loading a bit lower than recommended ADI data, I am not sure what velocity these will travel, but I am guessing 2550-2600fps. Is this enough punch at these velocities for medium size game???

They'll do better a lower velocity than high in my experience anyway, rest assured that they will still open up mate! Big Grin

I tried the 155gr Amax in my 30.06 at around 2780 fps( my sub600 yard target load in that rifle)on Fallow prickets and does a couple of seasons ago. I had shot this load extensively at Bisley and so was confident of any shot up to about 600 yards with.

I remember I sat up somewhere that I knew a long shot might be possible one night and of course a pricket stepped out at 110 yards.... I wanted to test the bullet so instead of necking him I waited for him to go broadside and held just behind the shoulder.

At the shot he looked very sick very quickly, normally with the 06 they run10-50 yards and tip over but this guy tottered about five steps and did a backflip, landing very dead on his back.

The gralloch showed no exit, total devastation to the lungs, the heart blown out as flat a pancake and copper and lead filings everywhere in the cavity. Further tests to 300 yards on a variety of animals showed the same willingness to expand, in fact one 250 yard fox's leg was found in a branch, five feet behind and a little above the spot where Charlie was standing at the time of the shot.

My conclusion was that it is not a general hunting bullet, one must stay away from bone at close range but that at extended range it would open up rather handily, even on smaller and "softer" game.

It depends on what you want to shoot with it and under what circumstances as to whether this bullet is a better idea than other "soft" softpoint options like the BT or even Speer BTSPs which are softer than their standard FB bullets.

Sorry gents, I've looked at some notes and the above version events is missing a little bit of what might be important information.

There was in fact an exit wound and I noted it seems because it was a tiny 30 cal or so sized whole between two ribs on the offside. Going from the outside of the animal the bullet could have been said to have "pencilled" i.e. entry and exit the same size and approximately calibre-sized if I had not recovered the animal and went by the almost non-existent blood trail.

I'm not casting aspersions on anyone else's experiences but noting that a few occasions where pencilling was diagnosed perhaps it could just be the copper base of the bullet exiting with devastation in-between.

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ghubert:
...but noting that a few occasions where pencilling was diagnosed perhaps it could just be the copper base of the bullet exiting with devastation in-between.

That was the point of my TSX post above. Small in, small out, devastation from A to B.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

Posts: 7906 | Registered: 05 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Smiler Ghubert I appreciate the feedback. I haven't yet tested the load on game, but have done a little more target testing, with groups ranging from 0.1 -0.5 MOA at 100m. The load certainly shoots well, just need to get into the field.
On a side note, I didn't realise that rifle shooting/hunting in the UK was that accessible to most folk. I thought that centre fire rifle ownership was quite restricted, compared to say here in Australia or the US - is that the case ?

Posts: 72 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 23 August 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SmilerJust tested the amax 162gn in the field this morning with my seven mil rem mag ( feral goats). Either I missed two targets or as I suspect, I connected but the shots were complete pass throughs- very disappointing. These Amax bullets shoot bloody well, but as some previous members said, they aren't the best for hunting....

Looks like I'll be looking for another 160gn hunting bullet for the seven mil?????

Posts: 72 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 23 August 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not questioning the experiences of anyone. But I must say how surprised I am to hear that the A-Maxes are giving pencil size wounds. It's proof again I suppose that similar (my 30 cal 178gr vs the 7mm 162gr) does not equate to the same.

I always found the AMaxes almost too soft and devastating on the realtively small animals that I hunted with them.

Posts: 224 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 15 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks ARW, one of my shots was at about 300m the other 120m, so I would have that was plenty of distance too open up. What is the average range you are shooting ?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
closest shot was 90m (mv of 2900 fps only). Longest was 411m (mv of 3000 fps). All opened up violently, even on small animals.

Posts: 224 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 15 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just tested the amax 162gn in the field this morning with my seven mil rem mag ( feral goats). Either I missed two targets or as I suspect, I connected but the shots were complete pass throughs- very disappointing. These Amax bullets shoot bloody well, but as some previous members said, they aren't the best for hunting....

Looks like I'll be looking for another 160gn hunting bullet for the seven mil?????

What could account for the stark difference in results between the accounts of seven-mil and Runas?? We're not talking about variations here but about polar opposites...velocity at impact? irregularity in jacketing? How does the same bullet open violently for one shooter and then pass through on a string for another?

Maybe we have some PR going on from various sales departments Smiler

Posts: 1312 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had nothing but excellent results on deer/hog sized game with 308 caliber 168gr A-Max bullets.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SmilerThanks guys - do you guys know if Nosler make 160gn ballistic tip bullets? The distributors here in Aus only have 150gn ballistic tip.I use 125gn ballistic tips in my 308 and they outstanding on game and very accurate. I am looking for the same type of explosive effect for the seven mil in a heavier 160gn bullet as my gun (sendero) likes 160gn projectiles.
What are Accubonds in 160gn like on medium game?