New
Find
Notify
Tools

Amax 7mm for hunting
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Smiler Greetings from Oz. Wishing all our cousins in the US all the best on this special day, 9/11. Our thoughts are with you..

Hoping I can get some feedback on the the suitability of Amax projectiles for hunting medium size game. I am using a 7mm rem mag with 58gr ADI 2213sc and 162gr Amax projectiles on wild goats and pigs at long range, around 450-700m.
This a new load for me and shoots very accurately (0.3MOA) but I haven't yet tested it on game.

Any experiences with the heavier Amax bullets?

Posts: 72 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 23 August 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gooday and thank you for your thought.

As to the A-Max, I suspect your going to receive varied comments on the use of them for any type of hunting.

This said however, I have and do use them but only in one particular rifle chambered in 6.5x55. This particular rifle has a throat long enough that I can set the 140gr A-Max on the lip of the case and close the bolt on it with out it touching anything.

I chose this particular bullet due to the lower loading velocities I have to stick with due to it being the older 96 action. WHile there are countless other bullets out thee I wanted something that would expand reliably at ranges out to 300yds for hunting both whitetail deer and feral hogs.

When I initiated this the A-Max had just hit the market and there was no one using them for much of anything just yet. I spoke with Hornaday extensively on their use and time and time again was told the same thing, "they aren't a hunting bullet". This said, the older fellow I was speaking to also understood where I was coming from and agreed that they "might" work out fine at the reduced velocities I was most likely using them at, but that they had no reports or testing to back this up.

I loaded and used them on close to 50 feral hogs ranging in size form 35'ish pounds up through a couple which broke 250, and at ranges form a few yards out to over 350yds. In every case I got complete pass through penetration and never recovered one of them. Some of the hogs were set up in various positions and shot from less than desirable angles and different ranges simply to test out the bullets. Same results, complete pass through, with VERY acceptable expansion noted and nothing blown to bits.

All of these loads were in the 2350 - 2550fps range of muzzle velocity and impact velocities were in the 2000 or less feet per second range easily.

So MY recommendation is to set up some hogs if you can or feral goats and give them a try. At the longer ranges where your impact velocity will be in the 2600 fps range and lower, they should preform well for you, muck like a standard Ballistic Tip. THis isn't however saying they will blow through the onside heavy shoulder of something, with out blowing a substantial hole out as they can and possibly will. But I know several folks who are using them in various heavy for caliber hunting loads with good success.

Mike / Tx

Posts: 444 | Registered: 19 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sevenmil:
Smiler Greetings from Oz. Wishing all our cousins in the US all the best on this special day, 9/11. Our thoughts are with you..

Hoping I can get some feedback on the the suitability of Amax projectiles for hunting medium size game. I am using a 7mm rem mag with 58gr ADI 2213sc and 162gr Amax projectiles on wild goats and pigs at long range, around 450-700m.
This a new load for me and shoots very accurately (0.3MOA) but I haven't yet tested it on game.

Any experiences with the heavier Amax bullets?

Ought to kill them if placed correctly

tu2

I have a friend that has taken deer with a 105 A-Max in the 243 out 600+ yards with complete satisfaction

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SmilerThanks guys - appreciate the heads up. Looks like I'll have to a field test!

Posts: 72 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 23 August 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Smilerok, one more question for the forum. My new pet load is 58gr ADI 2213SC with the 162gr Amax in 7mm rem mag. As I am loading a bit lower than recommended ADI data, I am not sure what velocity these will travel, but I am guessing 2550-2600fps. Is this enough punch at these velocities for medium size game???

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes

God loves you

Posts: 107 | Location: sumner, wa | Registered: 18 June 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SEVENMIL

YES

Yes

yes

yes

Yes
All killed with 162 AMaxes.
They rock, close up or far away, they just work.

Shot a BIG feral billy 3 weeks ago at 1100 yrds complete past through, didnt drop him on the spot but he went no further that 10 yrds and expired.
Weekend following got a nanny at 1055 passed through again and she died befrore hitting the ground

Runas

War is inevitable, if idiots are in charge of countries

Posts: 162 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 15 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Antelope Scenar/Berger report from a couple of my fellow competitive shooting friends...

.243 Winchester, 105 grain Berger Hunting VLD vs. Buck Antelope at 616 yards. Dead Antelope, both lungs, no exit

6.5 Creedmoor, 139 grain Lapua Scenar vs. Antelope Buck at 400 yards. Dead Antelope, pass through, big exit.

Posts: 128 | Registered: 17 August 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SmilerThanks RUNAS - good to hear from our NZ neighbours! They all look pretty convincing Amax medicine.
I am sold!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used 178's in a 300 Win Mag.

The largest animal that I shot was a blesbuck and the longest shot was about 220m. All were DRT.

I'd not expect much penetration at close range, but into the torso from good angles worked well.

Meat damage was extensive, so they are not my first choice as most of my hunting does involve eating what I shoot.

I am tending towards tougher bullets as time passes mainly due to the angles you are sometimes presented, but if you are selective I think you'd be fine.

Most of my experience was very close range for this bullet.

Posts: 224 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 15 July 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Smilerok, one more question for the forum. My new pet load is 58gr ADI 2213SC with the 162gr Amax in 7mm rem mag. As I am loading a bit lower than recommended ADI data, I am not sure what velocity these will travel, but I am guessing 2550-2600fps. Is this enough punch at these velocities for medium size game???

They'll do better a lower velocity than high in my experience anyway, rest assured that they will still open up mate! Big Grin

I tried the 155gr Amax in my 30.06 at around 2780 fps( my sub600 yard target load in that rifle)on Fallow prickets and does a couple of seasons ago. I had shot this load extensively at Bisley and so was confident of any shot up to about 600 yards with.

I remember I sat up somewhere that I knew a long shot might be possible one night and of course a pricket stepped out at 110 yards.... I wanted to test the bullet so instead of necking him I waited for him to go broadside and held just behind the shoulder.

At the shot he looked very sick very quickly, normally with the 06 they run10-50 yards and tip over but this guy tottered about five steps and did a backflip, landing very dead on his back.

The gralloch showed no exit, total devastation to the lungs, the heart blown out as flat a pancake and copper and lead filings everywhere in the cavity. Further tests to 300 yards on a variety of animals showed the same willingness to expand, in fact one 250 yard fox's leg was found in a branch, five feet behind and a little above the spot where Charlie was standing at the time of the shot.

My conclusion was that it is not a general hunting bullet, one must stay away from bone at close range but that at extended range it would open up rather handily, even on smaller and "softer" game.

It depends on what you want to shoot with it and under what circumstances as to whether this bullet is a better idea than other "soft" softpoint options like the BT or even Speer BTSPs which are softer than their standard FB bullets.

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

IMHO that would/could be a little slow, my 284 runs on 56 grs 2209 at 3080 fps, my F Class rig runs them @ 2950 both with fantastic results on game( yes I take my F Class rig hunting, off a bibod and different stock of course Wink )
If I was you I would try and get them up around 2900-3000 fps IF you want to take game at longer rangers.

I know the AMax isnt the best choice for close up shots on big bones, yes there is better eg Bonded bullets, however for me, in close up meat hunting situations the head or neck is the only option no matter what bullet I would use.

The reason for the AMax being so effective at longer rangers is the because of the jacket will deform at lower velocites when theyre being got out there.

Regards RUNAS

War is inevitable, if idiots are in charge of countries

Posts: 162 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 15 March 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to everyone. Although differing opinions, they are all valuable. I must say I would have thought at 2550-2600fps, a 7mm 162 Amax would open up nicely. Just have to do some field testing on game!!!

One of Us
Picture of Dieseltrucker
posted Hide Post
I shoot the 162 amax @2800 fps in my .280 ackley. Shot a big doe at 65 yards last year... It was DRT, exit wound looked like my .300 rum with accubonds, which is quite gory. Only bad things ive heard is jacket core separation at super fast (3000+) impact velocities... good luck

Posts: 240 | Location: Alabama  | Registered: 30 November 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Three years ago I was preparing for a Marco Polo hunt in Kyrgyzstan, with my M700 7mm Rem Mag. Lilja barrel and many other modifications. I found the Amax to be the most accurate bullet, doing about .5" groups at 100 yds. At that time, Hornady did not provide any labeling or other notice that this was not a hunting bullet. I shot my ram at 140 yards after preparing and training out to 500. The shot was perfect and the ram hauled ass. We searched for hours, and only found him by dumb luck. So, if you are willing to risk a $30,000
shot on this bullet, be my guest. The wound looked like a pencil had been shoved through the animal.

After returning, I called Hornady and raised bloody hell. I mentioned that Sierra is very careful to note and label their bullets as to purpose. Hornaday didn't seem to care much.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post