THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LONG RANGE SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Long Range Shooting    Marco Polo scope recommendations
Page 1 2 

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marco Polo scope recommendations
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Off to Tajikistan in 2015.Interested in everyone's recommendation on scopes. I'll be shooting a 300 Win with 180 gr projectiles.

Posts: 155 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 30 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Swarovski Z5 3.5 X 18 44mm ballistic reticle. tu2

Posts: 18517 | Registered: 04 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I tend to like the Leupolds.

I have tried every make I can find, and so far have not found nod that is better.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66765 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
About to put a Leupold VX6 2-12x42 on my Sauer .300WM. The CDS system should work well once I have developed a load.

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I mounted up a new Leupold VX6 3-18x44 on my long ranger 7MM. It will get some work this hunting season and probably in Namibia too. Mine is the Firedot Plex as that is what I prefer but the CDS is nice when you need it, and they have a reticle with the holdover dots in them too.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Any scope of Leupold VXIII or higher quality with a reticle pattern that matches your rifle ballistics out to 600 yards.

That and a good range finder.

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Probably the best range finder, best binoculars, and the best spotting scope if it isn't already there, along with the best snacks, coffee and sleeping bag. Smiler

No I haven't been and with my beat up legs at this age I am not - but if I was going on the best big hunt like this, then absolutely have the best I can carry with me.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Zeiss, Swarovski or Schmidt und Bender 3-12x56, 4-12x42, 4-16x50 or 6-24x56 with red dot !

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1137 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
hi bwana dogo, (my first post),
I hunted there last year. I had my 7mmRUM rigged up with:- Use Enough Gun's choice. 3 days b4 we flew out , got told we couldn't take our guns. I was so pissed off, I had never hunted without my own gun. we got there and they gave us there guns (I think the outfitters name was Urie) and I tell you they were the ultimate in long range shooting. they gave me a 300RUM in a Blazer with a Night Force 4-20 or something power scope. it had all the bells and whistles on it. they had on the rifle butt how many meters to where to set the turret. I shot my ram @440m (which is about your average shot) and hit him where I aimed. the rams were running up the hill and my guide had my Leica 10x40 bino's and was telling me the range as they were getting further away.
personally i'd look at the calibre you are using rather than the scope. we were told- minimum 400m shot. for what I have shot with the 300 Win, it is good up to that distance. you have got to bare in mind- you are paying $30,000 for this animal. like me, this may be the most money you will ever spend on a single animal- you don't want to fuck it up.
go there with the confidence that you will NOT be beaten.
good luck

a hurst never stops at a bank

Posts: 7 | Location: Qld Australia | Registered: 14 July 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used a Leu 4.5 x 14 with ballistic reticle, or reticule, as Jack O'Connor used to spell it. Then I shot my ram at 140 yards. Coulda used a 30-30 with iron sights.

I use Leupolds for major (meaning expensive) hunts because they will withstand massive abuse and remain accurate.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are a Leupold man, this is the one:

Leupold VX6 2-12x42
It gives the best FOV.

Santa Claus

Posts: 2148 | Location: Kirkwood | Registered: 14 November 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm also looking at going back to Tajikistan. If I go I will be taking a Nightforce and probably my 5.5-22 NXS.

Posts: 1940 | Registered: 16 January 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
Rather convenient timing on this post. I'm also considering Marco Polo and wanted to set up a long range rig. I settled on a Leupold VX6 2-12 with the illuminated LR reticle and CDS.

It just arrived and I can't wait to wring this thing out in a week.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2309 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
A Marco Polo hunt is a great adventure, but most of the camps "guarantee" you will get a sheep. If you want to be able to walk up to the animal you shot,( rather than have the guides go and retrieve the animal you shot at and "hit", while you rest back in main camp) take a rifle that you are intimately familiar with. All the best equipment in the world is not going to make a bit of difference unless you are familiar with it, and have practiced with it, at the distances which you intend to shoot.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4187 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
Phil, good advice as usual.

In my case I have 14 mo. to get ready. I've used the rifle I have for four years and while the scope is new I am very familiar with the LR ret to 500 yards. On the other hand spinning a dial is new to me and that's where my learning curve is.

Having said that, there's a lot more to this kind of hunt than just the gear. Staying warm and safe in sub zero for me is going to be a very new adventure. Gun prep for sub zero is another component contend with. Add to this language barriers and the like and the idea that there will be a LOT of details to focus on is absolutely true.

Given that you've hunted in pretty extreme conditions, what are your tidbits for us in that light?

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2309 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post