THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LONG RANGE SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Long Range Shooting    Light recoiling long range rig .....
Page 1 2 

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Light recoiling long range rig .....
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What cartridge would you consider to be an accurate, light recoiling long range rig?
Ranges will be from 400-700yds(my idea of long range).

Targets to include paper, coyote and up to deer.

Factory rifle preferred, but not necessary. Thank you.

Warning: Trespassers will be shot.......survivors will be shot again...........

Posts: 92 | Location: upstate NY | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
6.5-06 or a 6.5-284.

Posts: 5210 | Registered: 23 July 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
6.5 Creedmoor. It's winning more matches and an increasing selection of factory rifles is available.

Ruger and Savage both offer several models in that caliber.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
6.5 WSM!
I've used it on several hunts including one elk and the thing is pretty awesome too....along with the ones mentioned by surestrike!

There are certainly others but the lil 6.5, in almost any configuration, seems to have what you're looking for.

Zeke

Posts: 2269 | Registered: 27 October 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot a lot of 6.5-284 in three different rifles for years and then switched over to the 6.5 WSM. Simple to make brass and is my primary culling cartridge. The 140gr Berger VLD works and the 136gr Lapua Scenar-L does as well.

It has really caught on with the long range guys.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How's about a boring old .243win. With modern projectiles and powders you can get the heavies over 3000fps in a factory rifle and still have good barrel life with the slower powders. Example:
105 Brgr Hybs at 3400fps: www.scout.com/military/snipers...forums/5514/13619889

Posts: 861 | Registered: 13 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are also the 6mm Creedmore and 6x47 Lapua cartridges that would have even less recoil than the 6.5mm Creedmore or 6.5x47 Lapua and easily reach out to 700 yards and are powerful enough for deer with Bergers 105 or 115 grain VLD hunting bullets.

Posts: 421 | Location: Broomfield, CO, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Short action : 6,5x47 Lapua
Long action : 6,5x55

Both have the best brass you will ever use!

Put a suppressor on the end and reduce recoil by ALOT!

Posts: 615 | Location: a cold place | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Opus1,

6.5-284 brass is made by LAPUA, just open the blue box, take a case and fL size it, then load.

None of that forming stuff...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No fancy fire forming stuff for the 6.5 WSM. Just a little die and trimming mojo is all that is necessary and you can pick up some easy FPS in the process. Makes those 140s fly like lightening.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't suggest for deer size game, but for varmints or paper shot a 22-250 w/8 twist barrel, 80gr SMK's for quite a while and sub moa w/ very little felt recoil. Had no problem producing good scores at the 1000yd. line, and a 600yd. match seemed like "chip shot" for the round. Wind drift very similar to the 308 w/SMK 155 Palma bullet. Used basic Rem.700 action, Douglas barrel, Rem. Rangemaster surplus walnut stock(paid $40 for it) and "off to the races."
I shot against most other calibers including the much vaunted 6.5/284, 308, 300Win.Mag, etc. and at the end of the match when scores posted some eyebrows raised at a guy using a 22 could do that well. Lot of criticism regarding barrel life for the round, but found that to not be true and very similar to 308. Could drive the bullet to 3400fps, but in testing the best accuracy and barrel life was at some 3100fps, easy to attain and far better accuracy at that speed. Not factory available I fear, but an easy and budget minded build with excellent performance. Just a suggestion.

Posts: 1050 | Location: S.Charleston, WV | Registered: 18 June 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Instructor:
Don't suggest for deer size game, but for varmints or paper shot a 22-250 w/8 twist barrel, 80gr SMK's for quite a while and sub moa w/ very little felt recoil. Had no problem producing good scores at the 1000yd. line, and a 600yd. match seemed like "chip shot" for the round. Wind drift very similar to the 308 w/SMK 155 Palma bullet. Used basic Rem.700 action, Douglas barrel, Rem. Rangemaster surplus walnut stock(paid $40 for it) and "off to the races."
I shot against most other calibers including the much vaunted 6.5/284, 308, 300Win.Mag, etc. and at the end of the match when scores posted some eyebrows raised at a guy using a 22 could do that well. Lot of criticism regarding barrel life for the round, but found that to not be true and very similar to 308. Could drive the bullet to 3400fps, but in testing the best accuracy and barrel life was at some 3100fps, easy to attain and far better accuracy at that speed. Not factory available I fear, but an easy and budget minded build with excellent performance. Just a suggestion.

Instructor:

I have a .220 Swift with that twist - not as good in the wind as a .308 210 Berger or a 285 Horn ELD, but pretty doggone amazing compared to other calibers. I shoot 80 gr AMAX bullets in mine; very accurate and half the wind drift of a 55 grain bullet pushed much faster.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AAW,
After the 22-250 did so well gave some thought to the Swift, but just stuck with the 22-250.
No question the heavier quality bullets in the 308 would be better in the wind, but found the 80gr SMK quite predictable providing I read the wind correctly. Currently have a Ruger No.1 in 22-250 but with slightly less than 7 twist for the 90gr bullets but only little experimenting with that combo to date. Accuracy with the 80's is very good out to the 400yd. line but have not taken it out beyond that to date, will do so now that the weather is cooling down. Match days are over for me and have not tried any of the bullets you mention, but will say using the SMK 190's in the 308 gave excellent performance at the 1000yd. target. I was told they would not work due to being sub sonic, but did not have that problem. One 1000yd. match at Oak Ridge shot a 197 w/ 14 X's and that "ain't bad." Lapua brass, Fed 210M, SMK190, 42.2grs IMR 4064, Krieger 30" 12 twist barrel, Warner Micrometer Rear with Anshutz Globe front. Never cleaned the 1000yd. target regardless of caliber, but would routinely be in the mid 190's with the combination mentioned. I know, bragging, but at my age you tend to remember the bright spots of life and forget all those trying times leading up to the good memories.

Posts: 1050 | Location: S.Charleston, WV | Registered: 18 June 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A 7mm Remington Mag is a great combination of mild recoil and capability.

It's always so quiet when the goldfish die.(Bror Blixen)

DRSS
Merkel 470 NE

Posts: 545 | Registered: 08 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
.240 weatherby.

Posts: 1278 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post