THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM LONG RANGE SHOOTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Long Range Shooting    Help getting a good start....long range
Page 1 2 

Moderators: MS Hitman
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help getting a good start....long range
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Recoil on my big .338 is mild, large 4port brake and an 18lb rifle w/ nightforce ATACR scope. Of course after a dozen rounds I have a mild headache from the shockwave of the muzzle blast...Frowner

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1169 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I may have to eat my words about the Edge...just tried some 285 gr AMAX bullets loaded for the same ogive OAL as my Bergers and shot a 3 shot 1.25 inch group - at 500 yards.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by matt salm:
Recoil on my big .338 is mild, large 4port brake and an 18lb rifle w/ nightforce ATACR scope. Of course after a dozen rounds I have a mild headache from the shockwave of the muzzle blast...Frowner

Shot a Barrett 98B 338 lapua with a sightron 10-50- 60mm scope belonging to of a buddy of mine that came back from the ME over the weekend. Holy Smokes! Shot at a flat 1000 yards at a silhouette. Didn't try to get real accurate but that was one dead target.
Don't think I would like the blast back of a 338 on a regular basis but it sure reach's out there. Price tag is a bit heavy for a Barrett

Tinkered with my 300 WM TC at 600 yards. Bagged down with no wind I was able to get it into a 9" circle with consecutive shots shooting 190 grain HL Accubonds. 600 yards is pretty much pushing the limits of the Leopold 4-14 30mm scope and my eyes to be any more accurate. That and my hand loads are not all that great

I have not used, or actually really heard much about Sightron scopes but it seemed very well built and the magnification was great. Any input from anyone on the Scope? Sorry, don't know the actual model number.

I'm going to stick with what Rich said and go into this with a lower level rifle chambered 300 win mag with better optics and work my way up. 1000 yards is a ways out there.

Posts: 3617 | Location: Verdi Nevada | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For target or hunting use would be my first question

Posts: 14 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 27 March 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
take a look at the Savage FT-R rifles.

iirc, the Army new XM-2010 (?) is in 300 WM. Berger makes two bullets for them, 175gr OTM(Open Tip Match, hollow point sounds terrible in the news) and a 190gr OTM in the 300 WM sniper rifles.

They also have this really neat 230gr bullet for the thirty caliber that reaches well past 1500yds.

Berger's website is a real eye opener if you are looking at bullet flight past 1000 yards. You can input any of their bullets, and the program will calculate out to 2000yds. You can set it to read drop at a pre-determined zero and increments. Like, zero it at 300 and get a readout to your 2000yds in 100yd steps It is free, and you can designate the drop click adjustments in moa or mil, or inches. MOA is really neat, you zero the rifle and just click down so many clicks at "X" distance.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was just on a range this weekend and we were shooting the M2010. What impressed me most was the effectiveness of the can. Never would have thought a 300 Mag could be suppressed with such a small can. It was truly impressive not needed hearing protection while kneeling directly to the shooters left while trying to troubleshoot an issue....turns out remmy didn't pay attention to even these rifles while attaching the bolt handle...very little to no primary extraction due to the timing of the handle...

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1169 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
...very little to no primary extraction due to the timing of the handle...

The last few I've handled at the local gun shops were like this, and the one's I've mail ordered I had to tig weld a blob on there and grind it to the right shape to get it working right.

Posts: 861 | Registered: 13 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post