New
Find
Notify
Tools

700 Yard Groundhog
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I had to share this on AR. My dad is a 71 year old Vietnam Vet -- Marine Corps, Phu Bai/Hue Tet Offensive. He had a heart attack in January and has been rehabbing since. He got a clean bill of health a few weeks ago. Before his heart attack, he had a custom varmint rifle built in 6x47 Lapua. He picked up the finished rifle after his heart attack and worked on load development etc. until he could get out hunting. He shot a groundhog today at 700 yards. He was with two other members of Varmint Hunter magazine who confirmed the shot and he should be in the magazine next month or the month after. Dad is a quiet man but you could tell he was really happy with the shot he made on the groundhog today. He has the bug now and wants to get one at 1000yds next. Great day, I wanted to share.

Posts: 75 | Registered: 31 July 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
Good for him. Shooting will be the best re-hab ever!

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
+1 tu2

Posts: 18517 | Registered: 04 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sweet !! clap Maybe there's some hope for me. Keep shooing and enjoy life.

Posts: 7636 | Registered: 10 October 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
PM sent.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PM sent. Thanks.

posted Hide Post
Congrats on a great shot!

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

Posts: 2389 | Registered: 19 July 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
505, that is good stuff! Congrats to you both.

My Dad is gone now and I miss him on hunts and so forth. Cherish the time you have with yours; one day it won't be like it is now...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doubless,
I understand what you are saying. I'm blessed to have the time with him now, it could have been a different story when he had his heart attack in January. We are enjoying the time we have -- family is going on vacation together in a week. It should be a great time with great memories. Sorry that your Dad has passed but it sounds like you have great memories of him.

One of Us
Picture of Highlander7
posted Hide Post
That's great to hear. My longest kill was only half that distance.

I miss hunting groundhogs but, miss my father more. I totally agree with Doubless. There's not a day that goes by where I don't think of him and have just recently started to fish again. I've fish with lots of family members and friends but, he was my fishing partner.

MSG, USA (Ret.) Armor
NRA Life Memeber

Posts: 596 | Location: Chester County, PA. | Registered: 09 February 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
Picture of ragsxd
posted Hide Post
congrats

Posts: 53 | Location: oklahoma | Registered: 29 December 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Not as old as your dad (66), but had the same experience with my .22-250 a few years ago. I know the effort that he put into that shot. Congrats and a hearty handshake from one Viet vet (67-68) to another.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great shot. now some questions:
1. What scope was he using that he could see a groundhog at 700 yards!?
2. How many shots?
3. Did he have a spotter or did he spot his own shots?
Thanks, Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One of Us
posted Hide Post
prof242 -- Thanks for your service! Vietnam vets have a right to be upset with the reception they got coming home. Most of them never complained and never talked about their service -- like my dad. God bless all you guys!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Peter --
He used a VX3 8.5-25x50 Leupold. He fired two shots. First shot was about an inch left but good for elevation. Second shot was centered between the shoulders. He had a spotter but he could see his bullet impact too. He has a muzzle brake on his gun just for that purpose.